C4 Forums | Control4

CA's "New" Ceiling-Mount Wireless Motion Sensor..

NkySpike65

Ok, so curiousity got me into looking at pricing. $150 for the CA motion and only $50 for the DCS motion. This is for those who can't get wiring in place or don't have an exisiting alarm system. $100 bucks for a radio and a photo cell- Hmmm...

I'm picking one of the ceiling mounts up, I have a bunch of the regular ones. I like the light level sensor....it keeps my wife from turning on the lights at high noon when it's already bright in the room (we have a TON of windows).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of the new CA ones and use them in areas where I have two of their wall mounted motions in place to detect intersections in hallways and landings. They 'see' down the hallways farther and I can use one of these in the place where it normally took two to get proper coverage. If you have any 4-way corridors that meet up, these are definitely better than trying to use 2 wall mounts for coverage. I tried using the wall mount ones on the ceiling before and they didn't do too well detecting over the 'top' of the unit but these do great in that respect.

I have the one in my foyer programmed to be disabled during the day since it gets plenty of outside light in that area, and use it to keep other lights in the house disabled when this sensor is disabled in day mode as well.

I have one of the new ceiling mounted motion detectors from CA and it is great. Granted the price is a little high but it is a perfect solution when wiring is an issue. The device is about 1" thick and about 4.5" in diameter.

That's because they're smart.

They don't want to have to support 2 different firmware versions, one a ZigBee Pro version (like the rest of their current line) and one an Embernet firmware (which is not current, and support for even *creating* something new on Embernet is not necessarily available).

Depending on the Ember chipset they used, it's possible that Embernet wouldn't even *run* on the chipset...

RyanE

Yours too huh? I can see it now- wife turns light on and a split-second later programming kicks it off. 5 or 6 cycles later, frying pan over my head.

:lol::lol::lol:

...or worse still, us blokes get the programming wrong, and in the bedroom they work in reverse- wife turns off the light and split-second later programmings kicks it ON ! 5 or 6 "cycles" later....well you know the rest....

Archived