C4 Forums | Control4

Sony Component Video Switch

I have a suggestion for a great replacement...Zektor! Without going into the analog sunset debate, for those still choosing to install component matrix switches, take a look at our gear.

Ever since we began shipping the Clarity Prowler, many integrators have already converted to us. Take a look at all of the features and you can see for yourself why:

Here's the link: http://zektor.com/prowler8x8/prowler8x8.shtml

Best in class features:

Video, Audio and Power sent down a single CAT5/6/7 cable.

No power, or ground, needed at the receiver side.

Perfect for retrofits where only one CAT5/6/7 cable is pre-installed, but video and audio are both needed at the destination site.

Video

450MHz bandwidth local ouputs, DC coupled inputs and outputs, for the most demanding video applications.

150MHz bandwidth CAT5/6/7 outputs, DC coupled for deep blacks and bright whites, and for black and white transitions without loss of sync.

Local component video outputs mirror CAT5/6/7 outputs.

8 Channels of YPbPr, YCbCr or RGsB video.

3 Channels of composite to component video conversion.

Full control of Contrast, Brightness, Saturation and Hue on the composite inputs.

8 Component video zones which can be switched to any of the 11 input channels.

Audio

Volume, Balance, Bass, Treble and 5 Band Equalizer control of analog AND digital audio.

Analog audio is automatically converted to digital audio, digital audio is automatically converted to analog audio.

Both analog and digital audio is available simultaneously on the outputs.

Local stereo analog audio, and S/PDIF audio outputs.

Volume range: 0dB to -99.5dB, and full mute, with 0.5dB step resolution.

Tone / EQ ranges: +20dB to -20dB, with 0.5dB step resolution.

Gain settings (+/-24dB) for each input, seperate gains available for digital and analog.

Lip sync delay from 0 to 170ms, per zone and/or per input.

8 coax digital inputs and 4 optical digital inputs w/auto conversion to coax for easy integration with cable boxes.

Control

TCP/IP, Bi-directional RS-232 and RS-422, Front panel IR sensor, Rear panel IR jack.

TCP/IP and RS-232 / RS-422 share the same protocol. Protocol allows for polled or instant update modes. Polled or instant update modes are settable on a command by command basis.

Over 350 discrete IR codes!

Designed, built and supported in the USA. 5 year advanced warranty replacement.

I have a suggestion for a great replacement...Zektor! Without going into the analog sunset debate, for those still choosing to install component matrix switches, take a look at our gear.

Ever since we began shipping the Clarity Prowler, many integrators have already converted to us. Take a look at all of the features and you can see for yourself why:

Here's the link: http://zektor.com/prowler8x8/prowler8x8.shtml

Best in class features:

Video, Audio and Power sent down a single CAT5/6/7 cable.

No power, or ground, needed at the receiver side.

Perfect for retrofits where only one CAT5/6/7 cable is pre-installed, but video and audio are both needed at the destination site.

Video

450MHz bandwidth local ouputs, DC coupled inputs and outputs, for the most demanding video applications.

150MHz bandwidth CAT5/6/7 outputs, DC coupled for deep blacks and bright whites, and for black and white transitions without loss of sync.

Local component video outputs mirror CAT5/6/7 outputs.

8 Channels of YPbPr, YCbCr or RGsB video.

3 Channels of composite to component video conversion.

Full control of Contrast, Brightness, Saturation and Hue on the composite inputs.

8 Component video zones which can be switched to any of the 11 input channels.

Audio

Volume, Balance, Bass, Treble and 5 Band Equalizer control of analog AND digital audio.

Analog audio is automatically converted to digital audio, digital audio is automatically converted to analog audio.

Both analog and digital audio is available simultaneously on the outputs.

Local stereo analog audio, and S/PDIF audio outputs.

Volume range: 0dB to -99.5dB, and full mute, with 0.5dB step resolution.

Tone / EQ ranges: +20dB to -20dB, with 0.5dB step resolution.

Gain settings (+/-24dB) for each input, seperate gains available for digital and analog.

Lip sync delay from 0 to 170ms, per zone and/or per input.

8 coax digital inputs and 4 optical digital inputs w/auto conversion to coax for easy integration with cable boxes.

Control

TCP/IP, Bi-directional RS-232 and RS-422, Front panel IR sensor, Rear panel IR jack.

TCP/IP and RS-232 / RS-422 share the same protocol. Protocol allows for polled or instant update modes. Polled or instant update modes are settable on a command by command basis.

Over 350 discrete IR codes!

Designed, built and supported in the USA. 5 year advanced warranty replacement.

Jeff, do you mind my asking what one of those switches goes for?

The Prowler has a 6755 retail price. Keep in mind this comes with 8 SoloCAT receivers and is both the audio and video unit in one 2U chassis. The Sony was purely video and used the less capable Mux Lab baluns. Many integrators overlook the 3 additional dedicated composite inputs that auto convert to component which really makes our unit an 11X8.

With our solution you will enjoy these benefits at a minimum:

1. One unit for audio and video

2. One unit to control.

3. Save about 2U of rackspace.

4. Use less CAT cable. We send audio, video and power over a single CAT. Using the Sony / C4 solution you will need two.

5. Much better video and audio quality. I believe the Sony piece was 120mhz bandwidth (I'm not positive on that number). Less bandwidth equals less video quality.

6. One year warranty from Sony. 5 years advanced replacement from Zektor.

7. We appreciate your business and do our best to earn it every day.

It makes sense that Sony killed this piece. Their conglomerate is part of Hollywood that owns actors contracts, production studios, Blu Ray technology, etc. They are a major driving force behind HDMI and content protection. I couldn't find the unit on their site any longer.

Dan- I got your email just now and will get back you shortly.

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

I currently have the Sony, and it's working well for the moment. One question, with the Sony, I can have 1 video source playing on more than one TV (think Superbowl Sunday). With your product, can you do the same thing? I thought that HDMI had something in the spec to prevent that.

Jeff,

I currently have the Sony, and it's working well for the moment. One question, with the Sony, I can have 1 video source playing on more than one TV (think Superbowl Sunday). With your product, can you do the same thing? I thought that HDMI had something in the spec to prevent that.

Any true HDMI matrix can do that, from the 4x4 monoprice, to the 16x16 atlona, zektor's matrixes and the Crestron piece.

@Chicagoskiguy: Any true matrix is able to do that. In our case, you can think of it as an "any to any" capability with our audio/video breakaway. This means that you can set our unit up so that in any zone you can view any video source and listen to any audio source at the same time.

As an example, let'say you're in a workout room where you might want to watch headline news but hear your favorite workout music over your speakers. That's audio/video breakaway.

Archived