C4 Forums | Control4

Bryant Evolution/Carrier Infinity HVAC Thermostat with Control4

sji

On 12/10/2016 at 10:50 AM, msgreenf said:

Sam module is crazy expensive. Get an ecobee

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dealer cost is $500. So yeah, he's not throwing in $500 worth of free stuff. On the other hand, the tech rep said, "Nobody buys these, they use the IP driver." Hmm. I know it has WIFI connectivity, just not sure if there is a driver. 

18 hours ago, Elvis said:

@ekohn00 my A/C guy was very skeptical that you have a "dumb" thermostat installed with an Infinity system. He had more questions than answers. He speculated that it is a "remote" or a "sensor" thermostat. Or you have two units. The main one is Infinity and the upstairs is something else. He also said Ecobee has more information on how their products work with Carrier products than Carrier does. Hope this helps.

Why would he be skeptical on what I have?  I'm 100% sure I have an infinity currently using a C4 thermostat.  Yes it's possible.  And yes you loose the features of a infinity thermostat 

I have a Bryant Evolution (Carrier Infinity) system air handler (FE4A). I have been told by HVAC and integrators that my only option is the SAM no one can seem to find.  They said this particular unit will not allow a regular type of t-stat even bypassing the fancy features of Bryant/Carrier. I've basically given up on integration until I need a new hvac unit. Does anyone have recommendations or would be able to help me get my hvac in C4? Thanks!

2 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

Why would he be skeptical on what I have?

Because the only information you gave was Infinity with a dumb thermostat, he hasn't seen it, he doesn't know you, and because there are several levels of the Infinity line. "Is it variable speed? Is it zoned? Is this the main thermostat? Is it dual fuel?" Like I said, he had more questions than answers for you.

Here's exactly what he said, "If he has the Carrier version of the system you have, then he bought a Cadillac and is driving it around at 60mph in 1st gear. Nobody would install it that way." And then he went on to say something like "I don't think he has a variable speed unit and probably not a two stage" otherwise he wasted a lot of money.

2 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I'm 100% sure I have an infinity currently using a C4 thermostat.  Yes it's possible.  And yes you loose the features of a infinity thermostat 

So now I'm not sure why I even asked him anything. Just replace the C4 with the Ecobee and follow Ecobee's instructions. You can't be any worse off as long as you follow the Ecobee instructions. Like he said, Ecobee knows more about it than Carrier.

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

I have a Bryant Evolution (Carrier Infinity) system air handler (FE4A). I have been told by HVAC and integrators that my only option is the SAM no one can seem to find.  They said this particular unit will not allow a regular type of t-stat even bypassing the fancy features of Bryant/Carrier. I've basically given up on integration until I need a new hvac unit. Does anyone have recommendations or would be able to help me get my hvac in C4? Thanks!

I can PM you the name and number of my Bryant guy. He can get you the SAM. But it's right there in his book of available equipment that any dealer can buy. It is expensive but it has direct RS232 connection to your controller so you can do everything in C4 (haven't seen it in person) that you can do with the Connex thermostat. I think the SAM, depending the dealer mark-up, is going to be north of $600.

Just let me know.

Archived