C4 Forums | Control4

SR250: from working to DEAD

Letran

Two weeks ago, we were using an SR250 remote one second then all of a sudden blank screen. Changed with fresh batteries still blank screen. I put it away until I can lok into it. Tonight the same thing happened to another remote. (we have 5)

Now I'm worried. Is it the system or are these just bad remotes. I think they are just over two years old bought from new.

Any ideas?

Ok, try pulling out the batteries and hold down the Control4 "4" button and "0" while putting the batteries back in (make sure the batteries are fresh). Hold the buttons until you see them start to go up and down in backlight intensity. This means that it is re-flashing back to factory. If it doesn't do anything, then yes it is most likely dead. Give it a try and let me know.

If the keypad lights up and the screen does not then you have a dead screen. Unit will need to be RMA'd if stiff under warranty. Otherwise it will still work but you will just have no display. Think of it as a sr150

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread. I had a SR250 go dead on Dec 24th similar to the OP. I tried reflashing. The colored buttons went up and down in backlight intensity and I believe it completed the reflash, after which the LCD, et al do not respond to keypresses. It appears dead again.

Any ideas of what to try next ?

If there is no display than it would have to be sent in for repair or replacement.

Yep. No display on the LCD or button backlight. Tried reflagging again, same results.

Guess its back to C4 for this sr250. iAds these symptoms typical of lost firmware or a hardware problem ?

Yeah with the SR-250s as other than the old remotes they are the only ones with the screen. Haven't run into a dead 150 yet come to think of it. I sent back an SR-250 just last month which was completely dead after only 2 months of use in the clients home. No signs of impact or abuse. Out of a batch of remotes there will always be a few bad ones I guess.

Along with the normal 'from time to time' issues, there was a batch a while back that had plastic that was prone to get cracked with droppage, etc.

It didn't affect the function of the remote, but could chip up and look crummy.

I'm pretty sure that problem was resolved, issues with them should be pretty rare.

That said, it *does* sound like a hardware problem.

Sorry.

RyanE

• 1 year later...

I was just sitting here watching TV...hit fast forward to skip through a commercial break, and when I hit play the system was unresponsive. Looked at my remote and it was dead...no backlight, not LCD...nothing. Hold down 4 button and 0 while resetting the batteries. Took about two minutes of holding the buttons, and it came back to life. Firmware is updating now.

That was odd.

I was just sitting here watching TV...hit fast forward to skip through a commercial break, and when I hit play the system was unresponsive. Looked at my remote and it was dead...no backlight, not LCD...nothing. Hold down 4 button and 0 while resetting the batteries. Took about two minutes of holding the buttons, and it came back to life. Firmware is updating now.

That was odd.

welcome to electronics :)

where random lockups are somewhat expected.

I was just sitting here watching TV...hit fast forward to skip through a commercial break' date=' and when I hit play the system was unresponsive. Looked at my remote and it was dead...no backlight, not LCD...nothing. Hold down 4 button and 0 while resetting the batteries. Took about two minutes of holding the buttons, and it came back to life. Firmware is updating now.

That was odd.

0[/quote']

welcome to electronics :)

where random lockups are somewhat expected.

I've been using C4 remotes since 2006 and this is the first problem like that I've ever had.

That was odd.

Mine did the same thing except my screen work but the remote would not send a signal out. New remote for me.

• 3 months later...

Well, it finally happened to me.  SR250 gone completely dead- no "Low Battery", just 60-0 right now.  I have notifications for low bat and those did not fire either.  Sounds like EOL symptom since many folks have seen this now.  Almost 6 years now with nothing like this on 10 SRs...

Got the bottom of why SR-250 just went dead with no warning.  One of the four batteries metered at 0.5vdc.  The rest were 1.48vdc.  With insufficient voltage, there is no way the SR can continue to function let alone report back battery voltage.  A-B-A test on that one battery confirmed this.

Archived