C4 Forums | Control4

Matrix recommendations/Monoprice 4x4 matrix not working over 50/75 ft

drmark12pa

Well, I tried the Monoprice HDMI 4x4 matrix and here is what happened:

works on 25, 50, and 75 foot runs with Netgear 9150 media player no problem

works on 25 foot run with PS3

No audio on 50 and 75 foot runs with PS3 (only video)

Running the PS3 direct over the 50 and 75 foot runs works just fine so something with the matrix affects the audio (again the video is perfect)

Added HDMI extenders/boosters, 2 different types that are nonpowered without audio (ie no effect).

So, unless anyone here can make a suggestion on how to make this work with the PS3 audio I need recommendations for reasonable matrix. I don't want a $5000 matrix but also understand a "decent" matrix is going to cost a bit more than the $160 for the Monoprice matrix.

Can someone recommend a 6x6 or 8x8 matrix for under $2500?

Well now after purchasing a Radio Shack booster and not even using the power adapter I was able to get everything running through the Monoprice matrix... not sure what is going on. But it's working... I hooked up one of the destinations (my Denon 3311) with the booster and had finally got audio and added my 3 other TVs one at a time and was able to add those without any booster/enhancers. So currently running 25ft HDMI to TV, 50ft to Denon, 50ft to TV, and 75ft to another TV.

Will keep anyone interested posted as this $160 matrix appears to be working perfectly for the moment. I will be having it integrated into the Control4 system hopefully within the next week....

Well, my dealer hooked up the switch last night... you do get what you pay with this switch as the PS3 and Netgear 9150 media player work just fine going to 4 TVs over 25ft, 50ft, 50ft, and 75ft HDMI.

However, when we hooked up Motorola cable box dch6416 no signal. Now this is with using an extender (without the 5v power adapter plugged in so effectively passive) on my Denon 3311 input end. When I power the extender and pull the power on the matrix then the cable box works but the PS3 and Netgear do not!

Weird, weird, weird.....

So tonight I'm going to go through 1 input and output at a time and see if I can get this thing working properly as other users with similar inputs (PS3, Motorola cable box) with similar HDMI lengths have had success.

The Control4 drive for this works very well by the way using RS232 serial control from an HC300...

Any thoughts/recommendations other than the obvious get a better matrix?

When I power the extender and pull the power on the matrix then the cable box works but the PS3 and Netgear do not

I don't follow what you're saying. When you pull the power on the matrix the PS3 and Netgear doesn't work? Huh? So you're saying the unit doesn't have any power and you can't understand why it's not working.

The problem you are having is the length of the hdmi run. It has NOTHING to do with the switch. Get some good HDMI extenders for the longer HDMI runs. Some extenders are crap (even the powered ones) and don't work very well.

No it is confusing....

When I use the Radio Shack extender I bought and do not power it, connect to my Denon 3311, all of the outputs in the entire house work for the PS3 and Netgear media player (originally I didn't have audio on any of them except the 25 foot run). When I add the power adapter to the extender it doesn't work (seems backwards) though the matrix is powered throughout this process.

When I connect the Motorola cable box in the mix, no signal to the longer 50 and 75 foot runs. When I power the extender on the Denon and disconnect the power on the matrix (and the lights still power up on the matrix apparently from the power running over the HDMI enough to power the matrix), the cable box works but then the PS3 and the Netgear media player do not.

It's the weirdest thing... and it's like pick your sources...

I don't know if extenders would make a difference but if you have any suggestions for other/better extenders let me know... I did try to Monoprice extenders, 2 types without success... one powered, one not... whereas the Radio Shack one did work....(albeit without power initially.... when with power for the cable though the matrix is not then plugged in

No it is confusing....

When I use the Radio Shack extender....

Radio Shack :lol:

Take that Radio Shack POS back to the store and get your money back. Radio shack products are horrible. Keep the monoprice switch plugged in to a power source at all times. Get good HDMI extenders for anything over 50ft. The problem you have has nothing to do with the monoprice switch. HDMI is flaky for longer runs. Key digital has a good HDMI extender but it's pricey ~$250. You can probably use a something cheaper since your run is only 75ft but find something, anything, other than a radio shack product. Stay away from passive extenders.

Did you try the newest Monoprice extender?

Yeah, I was laughing that I actually went to Radio Shack too... but it was Friday night and I needed an AC adapter for the Monoprice extender I had ordered (I purchased both their passive and powered versions to try) and thought I would try the RS version.... suprisingly, the RS one was the only one that worked! The 2 Monoprice extenders didn't do anything....

Again, the RS extender has an AC adapter but works without it powered and does not work when powered with the PS3 and Netgear media player... However, if powered and the matrix is unpowered then the cable box does work and the PS3 and Netgear do not! weird...

• 2 months later...

Spend the extra money and get some decent HDMI extenders. I have a home with many long runs (some longer than 35 meters) and I wasted lots of money by purchasing relatively inexpensive Baluns at the beginning. Some worked for awhile and others never worked at all. The only ones that have worked for me over an extended period of time are the Atlona ones.

Just an update... the Monoprice 4x4 HDMI matrix DOES work. I have 2 Directv boxes, a PS3, and a Netgear media player running through it to 4 different rooms and works. So not sure why I would spend $2000+ on another box that does the same thing...

I have a dedicated theater room where I have my projector running a PS3 and soon a Dune player but for our other TVs the Monoprice matrix works nicely once you get it synched...

I think the issue that the HDMI (with this switch at least) is going in to the Denon receiver I have with the PS3 games not working through the receiver because of the HDMI protection. I did have some issues at first with the hooking up all at once and dropping sound from one location but found that hooking up one location at a time and adding with using the extender worked perfectly. So, yes, it's a bit finnicky, but worth the money...

• 1 month later...

I could only get the PS3 using Netflix to work through the Denon but now only have the matrix running the rest of the house only. However, lately I've been having issues with the audio going on and off while watching Netflix via PS3 in one room and no audio or video in another room.... it's very finnicky so I have to play around with it some more using an HDMI booster/repeater.....

I think it's the case of you get what you pay for....

I have been trying to unhook the PS3 with all TVs on, disconnect PS3, turn off matrix, replug PS3, turn on matrix.. that seems to get the connection back but I hope it holds... seems very volatile lately after I added a new TV and took the HDMI that was going to my Denon 3311 and sent it to the new TV in my office (I just added the Epson 6010 projector in my theater which is where the Denon is...)...

Let me know if you have come up with any tricks. I'm using a Radio Shack HDMI booster/repeater on one TV with the matrix.... I can't believe something from Radio Shack is working but it actually does the trick...

The only source I'm having trouble with right now is my PS3.... I will get the audio that is on/off/on/off/etc for about 5 second intervals... obviously and HDMi issue....

Here is my setup for the hosue other than theater through the Monoprice 4x4 matrix:

PS3

Dune (just replaced my Netgear media player and isn't actually integrated yet but does work for bluray playing over network nicely)

Directv box 1

Directv box 2

The Directv boxes never have any signal issues.... so something with the PS3 and the matrix don't get along since everything is over HDMI cables...

Archived