C4 Forums | Control4

Best Pratice to remote into C4 system

Does anyone out there have the experience and know how to advise me on how i may setup my network so i am able to control my home from my Iphone as if i where home? My Control 4 web access just doesnt do it for me. Any ideas?

I am looking have the ability to talk to my C4 system as if i am within the home while i am away.

Sorry, I am not in the Apple circle. Simple question, why? Since everyone is gaga over iPhone, why would Control4 not satisfy this niche? And since Apple is not about to change for anyone, why then would Control4 not rewrite for this capability? Forget Flash for a moment, can't HTML be used effectively? If not, why?

VPNing in to your system is one thing but are you assuming this would be done on standard computer on the remote end or what? He didn't really mention what type of device was used at the remote end anyway. Sorry, I don't dabble at this level at all so just trying to understand this shortcoming the OP is talking about. i personally have not had dissatisfaction using either a laptop or Android smartphone.

From what I have heard Apple seems to believe that flash would cause instability in their product or something along those lines. In the end Apple does what they want just because they are Apple.

You can use the 4sight with HTML but the OP said that web access doesn't do it for him. I can completely understand that as I don't like using it too much either especially being limited to HTML (which is probably the shortcoming he is referring to).

In the VPN setup I suggested depending on how you are thinking about it, the remote device is the iPhone and his home is the local system he is trying to connect to. Forming a proper remote connection to his home network, the iphone will have a local IP address and the MyHome app will work exactly as if he were connected to his home wifi.

To achieve a VPN connection from an iPhone he will need a VPN router compatible with the iPhone VPN client or a computer inside the firewall with ports open to it on the router running compatible VPN server software.

Anyone have a link on how to do this using an Airport Time Capsule or Airport Extreme?

The airport extreme router only allows VPN passthrough it doesn't run as a VPN server. In this case you would need to port forward from the router to a VPN server with a static IP on the internal network.

If you search on the internet how to setup a PPTP server using windows 7, Mac OS, or any other OS you like I am sure something will come up. I will probably end up doing a writeup sometime in the future.

Yep that will definitely work. Just setup a PPTP or L2TP VPN server on your OSX server and forward the necessary ports to it in the airport extreme router config.

Oh, and don't forget DYNDNS.

Nikon - Lets start with saying you are totally correct in regards to my Iphone not being able to display flash. The next problem that i have is my current router (Netgear AN150) does not allow this. My installer stated that C4 ONLY works with certain routers. The bad thing is my cabin is also very remote and we have ADSL as our internet which is also very spotty. What router would you recommend to accomplish this?

Well, a good router that will accomplish this and not cost too much is the Cisco RV042 (using PPTP). If you want to use the IPSec and the Cisco client on the iPhone you will need a Cisco ASA device.

• 1 month later...

Nikon, if I have a wireless N router that i would still like to use on top of this Cisco RV012, would it be possible to connect the cable modem->cisco VPN router->wireless N router? I'd like to keep my wireless router along with having VPN access to Control4. thanks!

I have a similar question. Can you place a Cisco ASA device between your router and cable modem. My router has gigabit ports and I like using it for DHCP. Can DHCP be turned off on the Cisco so it can still be the security device and VPN device allowing my router to do the DHCP? Also, can someone explain the licenses for the ASA devices. I understand I would need an Essentials license and Mobile license. Would I have to purchase these or does Cisco supply them with their devices? Thanks.

I use a Cisco RV110W. My iPhone and iPad VPN into it with no problem or extra software or licenses. The router is around $100.

It is not on the recommended hardware list, (nor is it on the flagged list), but I have been using it for almost a year. No problems with C4 at all. I have it connected to a 50 mb Internet connection and 24 port gigabit switch. it's worth checking out.

^ Just to clarify. You didn't need to use a different app or make any changes on your iPhone?

Correct, I set up PPTP on the iPhone/iPad connect VPN, either wireless or 3G.

Router config was easy. (I also have a static IP address), helps a bit.

Thank you. I am not well versed in all the network issues. I have a DDNS domain that is associated with my home IP address (I just set it up). What IP address do I then associate the DDNS name to? It seems to want a specific address on my network not just the dynamic address my internet provider currently has associated with my house. Do I use the adress of my HC1000 that is running director or do I point it to something else? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Thank you. I am not well versed in all the network issues. I have a DDNS domain that is associated with my home IP address (I just set it up). What IP address do I then associate the DDNS name to? It seems to want a specific address on my network not just the dynamic address my internet provider currently has associated with my house. Do I use the adress of my HC1000 that is running director or do I point it to something else? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Put that in your router, then the router will notify the service when your IP changes.

I purchased a Zyxel VFG6005N router at Frys for $119.00 this weekend.

I am installing it this week. It has IPSEC and PPTP native to the modem - there are TWO tunnels available on this model - for $189.00 there was a ten tunnel concurrent model available.

Bill

Archived