C4 Forums | Control4

Replaced 1000

A recall by batch would make sense typically, however a dealer at the start of the thread made the following comment.

no one is given serial numbers. Control4 has some sort of software on controllers that informed them of the failure.

I don't consider that "paranoia"...

If it called in, it was an account on 4Sight.

However, I don't think that's how this was figured out. I think a number of HC1000's came back in as RMAs, and it was determined that a certain memory chip from a particular batch was the issue.

RyanE

OK, let me change that... If you're *concerned* about Control4 reading project (and device) data, don't subscribe to 4Sight, and don't press the 'check in' for service connection button.

But if you're paranoid, the same procedure works as well.

:)

RyanE

If it called in, it was an account on 4Sight.

However, I don't think that's how this was figured out. I think a number of HC1000's came back in as RMAs, and it was determined that a certain memory chip from a particular batch was the issue.

RyanE

^Silent Recall

IMHO it would make sense to post a recall on the C4 website so that end-users can cross check there equipment in case there dealer isn't on top of things. After all it's only the brain of your whole automation system.

I'm sure it is likely just diagnostic information, but what if it was what you were watching, listening to, etc? (like Tivo does.) This is potential valuable data to the right person..

And how exactly would Control4 collect this info? In an IR controlled system, there is no feedback from cable boxes and and TVs.

Even if it's a network driver, those network driver protocols are pretty limited to simple commands and status feedback. There aren't even commands in those drivers, nor probably the capability of the box to send data on what you're watching.

If you're completely paranoid, uncheck the option to allow remote access to your system in your my.control4.com account. Controllers without 4sight (but with this option checked) will still periodically check-in with Control4 servers unless you uncheck that box.

Archived