C4 Forums | Control4

Replaced 1000

no one is given serial numbers. Control4 has some sort of software on controllers that informed them of the failure.

So if controllers are calling home about failures what other information from our network is being shared with C4? I don't let anything else on my network, devices or software, send info outbound. In my eyes this is a potential security issue...

I'll admit this is a bit funny but I was absolutly serious. Companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc have all gotten in trouble in the past for info they gathered without letting people know. If my controllers can "call home" I want to know what info it gathers, sends, how it's encrypted, sent and if it will affect my project if I block it from happening.

Actually, I think it is pretty cool, that I was contacted by my dealer and the unit was replaced. I have no problem with my controller collecting data on how I use my system (in the end, I got better customer service because of it). If they take the time to monitor my boring life, they have too much time on their hands :)

Actually, I think it is pretty cool, that I was contacted by my dealer and the unit was replaced. I have no problem with my controller collecting data on how I use my system (in the end, I got better customer service because of it). If they take the time to monitor my boring life, they have too much time on their hands :)

Agreed.

Easy enough to figure out. Watch the network traffic from your controllers destined to anyplace other then your LAN.. I agree this should be transparently disclosed. I'm sure it is likely just diagnostic information, but what if it was what you were watching, listening to, etc? (like Tivo does.) This is potential valuable data to the right person..

It could be made anonymous, but even if made anonymous its never really anonymous. [1]

-jr

[1] - http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/09/your-secrets-live-online-in-databases-of-ruin.ars

Easy enough to figure out. Watch the network traffic from your controllers destined to anyplace other then your LAN.. I agree this should be transparently disclosed. I'm sure it is likely just diagnostic information, but what if it was what you were watching, listening to, etc? (like Tivo does.) This is potential valuable data to the right person..

It could be made anonymous, but even if made anonymous its never really anonymous. [1]

-jr

[1] - http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/09/your-secrets-live-online-in-databases-of-ruin.ars

I don't really care if they know what I'm watching or listening to.

Ok, I think we've determined some people don't care about security on their network and others do. I asked what I thought was a simple question but as none of the dealers or Ryan have chimed in I guess I'll just block the traffic and see what happens.

Thanks...

Everyone is assuming that the failure was detected by a "call home" feature of the controller. Could it not simply be that Control4 records which controller was shipped to which dealer based on serial number. Dealers know which controller was sold to which client based again on packing slip (which may also include serial number).

Control4 determines there was a batch of failed controllers with serial numbers x thru y. Check to see which dealers purchased these, trace back the clients, and then have dealer reach out to client for warranty replacement.

The simplest answer is usually the right one...

Thanks

D.

Everyone is assuming that the failure was detected by a "call home" feature of the controller. Could it not simply be that Control4 records which controller was shipped to which dealer based on serial number. Dealers know which controller was sold to which client based again on packing slip (which may also include serial number).

Control4 determines there was a batch of failed controllers with serial numbers x thru y. Check to see which dealers purchased these, trace back the clients, and then have dealer reach out to client for warranty replacement.

Thanks

D.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Thanks

D.

+1

I haven't chimed in because I don't work in Engineering, so I don't know exactly how the bad units were found, but I believe I did hear that it was by batch, not by phone home.

As far as Control4 controllers 'phoning home', Control4 controllers only connect to Control4's VPN cloud under 2 conditions:

1) You have an active 4Sight account. If you have an account, your controller stays connected to Control4's VPN so that it can be accessed remotely, either via ComposerPro's 'Remote Director' functionality, or via Web Navigator.

2) If you press the 'Check In' button on your touchscreen, your controller will initiate a connection to Control4's VPN, so that your dealer can remotely access your system, for diagnostic purposes.

I don't believe the controller 'phones home' for anything else, other than, obviously, to provide required services (i.e. Media Lookups, Rhapsody metadata, etc.).

If you're paranoid, go with no 4Sight connection, and don't have your dealer remotely access your system.

RyanE

Archived