C4 Forums | Control4

2.3 now available

ichbinbose

I was able to spend some time with 2.3 on an older HC300 in a single room setup - it's come quite a way from prior 2.x versions in this scenario with all services running on the same box. Reminded me of 1.7.4's speed. Just in case anyone was wondering what performance is like on some of the older hardware.

Damn now I wish I had kept at least 1 of my HC300s :(

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey all...

Can someone shed some light on the upgrade path from 2.1.x to 2.3? Is it available via auto-update, or does it require a manual upgrade process similar to the 1.x to 2.0 conversion?

Also, what is the typical charge dealers are charging these days for the update on a modest single controller, multi-room system?

Hey all...

Can someone shed some light on the upgrade path from 2.1.x to 2.3? Is it available via auto-update, or does it require a manual upgrade process similar to the 1.x to 2.0 conversion?

Also, what is the typical charge dealers are charging these days for the update on a modest single controller, multi-room system?

it's a pretty easy upgrade path. The dealer can kick it off remotely. Shouldn't charge you more then an hour of labor. If the dealer is coming onsite, it may cost a little more

It's relatively quick. I'd say about 30 min single controller, hour mid size - 2 hours should cover everything. Provided you have decent internet speed. In any update things CAN take longer if there are internet issues, or one piece or another stutters the update (or power goes out mid update - now that was a fun day).

As always it CAN be done remotely - but inherent risk of any update means many dealers won't do an update remotely - START it remotely and have it run while going to site but not remote all the way.

It's not a completely new generation of software - it's nothing like the update from pre 1.x to 2.x (or pre 1.8 to 1.8+ for the sticklers on accuracy)

No zigbee overhaul, media management overhauls like

auto updates only applies to hotfixes AFAIK.

Control4 does NOT want to do full auto updates (probably smart).

Only auto-updates that come to mind is the DOM fix, Rhapsody update and SSL update - al of which were critical to keep a system using these services running - any other update is non-critical.

I recently upgraded from 1.7.4 to 2.3 and I have an HC-1000 (now upped to HC-800) and multiple HC-300s. Speed is fine, much faster than before likely due to the 800.

One issue I am having however is that the SR-250s will be unresponsive periodically... they will either say waiting for network or just wont do anything for 30s to a minute and then will function fine. I have an extensive zigbee network with over 80 zigbee devices so the strength is not an issue. I did not have this problem prior to the upgrade, although the SR-250s did have a separate issue on 1.7.4 where they would go 'waiting for network' for sometimes a day at a time and would require a reset of the zserver on the master controller or some other change.

A family member of mine is having a similar issue after upgrading to 2.3 from 1.8, with her remotes sometimes not responding for up to 5 minutes. Is this a known problem or is there a potential programming issue that could cause this? My dealer said he ran diagnostics but did not see any non-optimized programming.

I recently upgraded from 1.7.4 to 2.3 and I have an HC-1000 (now upped to HC-800) and multiple HC-300s. Speed is fine, much faster than before likely due to the 800.

One issue I am having however is that the SR-250s will be unresponsive periodically... they will either say waiting for network or just wont do anything for 30s to a minute and then will function fine. I have an extensive zigbee network with over 80 zigbee devices so the strength is not an issue. I did not have this problem prior to the upgrade, although the SR-250s did have a separate issue on 1.7.4 where they would go 'waiting for network' for sometimes a day at a time and would require a reset of the zserver on the master controller or some other change.

A family member of mine is having a similar issue after upgrading to 2.3 from 1.8, with her remotes sometimes not responding for up to 5 minutes. Is this a known problem or is there a potential programming issue that could cause this? My dealer said he ran diagnostics but did not see any non-optimized programming.

did he make sure the firmware updated on the remotes?

By firmware you mean the same update that every other device gets via the upgrade process right? It took a while to do mine but yeah all of the devices showed as updated and the few that had issues he reflashed and solved the problem. Im not sure on my family member's project but I presume the same since he checked each device via composer on mine that he did the same with hers.

What does it mean to rebuild the mesh from scratch exactly? Remove all devices and reidentify each one?

If you do that dont you lose all secondary programming that might be in place? Each device already had to be reidentified as part of the upgrade so Im presuming youre saying he should try actually deleting each dimmer/switch etc from the project and then add it back in? Then 4 years of double tap etc programming would be gone and thats not really practical.

Rebuilding the mesh:

* Does *not* mean removing every device from the project.

* Does *not* mean unidentifying every device in the project.

To rebuild the mesh, a dealer will:

* Delete the mesh from the controller

* Create a new mesh

* Put the project into 'identify' mode

* Do an identify on each device (4-tap or equivalent)

Note that the dealer does *not* have to do this for each device in order, since their ZigBee ID (MAC) is still in the project. The devices have all been identified, so they just have to join the new mesh, not identify.

You don't lose any programming, it goes fairly quickly, since you can do them in any order, and don't have to wait for them.

RyanE

Server can be anything - it's the ZAP coordinator that's the tricky part. So if the 300 is still the ZAP coordinator, it wouldn't have been rebuilt. It would also be wrong - the 800 should be the coordinator to get the faster list navigator.

Even if it WAS done, doing it at this point (after all updates are done) can help resolve these issues.

Archived