C4 Forums | Control4

Ceiling Fans: Suggestions of Brands, Configuration or Features

I'd check the wiring first and foremost - especially if looking to tie it into C4.

If you want lights in/on the fan, the wiring would need to be such to support separate on/off for light and fans (ie two 14/2 or a 14/3) - and you'd want to make sure the fan itself supports that feature too.

Oh and if looking to use the new C4 fan control - keep the fan's native control as simple as possible - no need for fancy remote speed settings etc, just get what fits your "design" and air movement requirements.

If you want to use the new Control4 Fan Speed Controller (which I would certainly recommend), the fan itself should not have more fan control than a simple pull chain (i.e. a 'dumb' fan). If you get a fan that has an RF remote, that's going to be the only way you can control it, there's no good way to tie an RF fan into a Control4 system.

As mentioned above, if you purchase a fan that has lights built-in, you need wiring for *both* the lights and the fan from the wall box to the fan.

RyanE

• 3 months later...

For our 15 year old living room fan, we had to disable the RF remote by removing the remote fan module. It was located at the very top of the fan assembly. But now the fan works great with the Control4 fan controller. Can't use the fan light though. All other fans in the house had dedicated and wired separate controls for lights and fan.

Recently had five of the Fanimation Zonix fans installed (no lights). They work fine on a C4 switch. I haven't taken the RF remotes out of the box yet. But, when I do, curious if the fans will remember their last speed set by the remote or if the C4 switch will reset to a default speed. Will update when I find out.

Looking at the diagram below. I'm trying to understand if it is possible to wire the fan and the light separately. I do need both.

I'm planning to use the new Fan Controller by Control4.

The manual also shows that reversing the speed requires stopping the fan and manually switching a notch.

http://www.fanimation.com/support/download_pdf.html?media_id=4161

Nice find. It is hard to find nice modern ceiling fans that do not have an integrated control. You will certainly be able to wire this up using the C4 fan controller for speed and a separate C4 dimmer for the light. Just 86 the remote and receiver that are included with the fan. The forward and reverse switch is in the top of the fan motor if needed, but you will have to manually switch it seasonally using a ladder.

• 5 years later...
On 9/30/2013 at 10:36 AM, DawnGordon said:

Also try this company. We just bought a really nice model for our master bedroom. Works great with Control4.

http://www.modernfan.com/products.html

I know this is a super old post - but hoping you are still around.  Do you know which Modern Fan model(s) you have?  I'm considering picking up a few of them, and it seems like their basic "controller" which only provides a 1-4 step adjustment is basically the same thing as a Control4/Lutron RR2 fan controller, so I'm assuming it would work.  I don't think these fans use RF at all - at least with their most basic controller.

16 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

I know this is a super old post - but hoping you are still around.  Do you know which Modern Fan model(s) you have?  I'm considering picking up a few of them, and it seems like their basic "controller" which only provides a 1-4 step adjustment is basically the same thing as a Control4/Lutron RR2 fan controller, so I'm assuming it would work.  I don't think these fans use RF at all - at least with their most basic controller.

If you are looking for a fan to purchase i recommend big ass fans haiku range of fans. If you install the senseme module you will get full two way ip control of the fan using our driver including multispeed fan control via Control4's user interface, full dimming functionality for the inbuilt lights (if you have one on the fan) and more

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/big-ass-fanslights-haiku-driver

Fan.png

14 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I have the Pharos. I know that you don't want to use any of the remote control options.

1 minute ago, DawnGordon said:

I have the Pharos.  I think you want the Three Wire Fan and Light Control 002. This will work with the Control4 Fan Controller and a separate Light switch or dimmer.

These fans don't even need a Light kit, so I'm assuming any of their fans will work?

Archived