C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmable LED Tape Lights

ILoveC4

I'm needing about 80 feet of LED tape lighting. I've got an outlet wired up to a Control4 dimmer (not the newest ones). Ideally I'd like them to be dimmable.

I was looking at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004RZUX8S/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/175-8061852-5650236

Can anyone share what their successfully using and what will be the easiest/cleanest install? I need something I can order and receive in the next week.

Thanks in advance.

We have had what looks to be a very similar product in our kitchen for the last 5 years (LED tape that arrived on a spool) . We ordered them from a local lighting house, and they measured up all the cabinets and then cut and soldered the strands per measurements. 

We have a few sets of transformers plugged into outlets controlled by a Control4 Dimmer. I would think if you are using these for under cabinet, you could make life easier by not cutting/soldering as much and using an Oscillating Multi-Tool to cut a small channel between cabinets. 

I didn't see the light temperature mentioned in the Amazon listing, but ours are a nice warm white We've had no problems (no LED's have burned out, and the tape has had no issues), and we'd do those again if given the choice.

The tape does dim, but I'd guess it dims to 75% and then shuts off. Maybe they have gotten better now. 

Most if not all LED lights are dimmable - it depends on the TRANSFORMER if you can dim it - that part you need to be careful with. You can have them on C4 dimmers, outlet dimmers, do DMX control....lots of options there.

Cyknight, can you please point me a transformer that you know works well? 

Meanwell, Inspired,  MANY others plus any number of OEM versions - if you're using the old (forward-phase) dimmers you'll want to look for Dimmable Magnetic lowvoltage transformers - get them for the right input voltage and output voltage plus needed wattage (from any business selling LEDs and you should be fine).

You're biggest sign? A decent dimmable transformer for LED isn't cheap - doesnt have to cost a fortune, but expect to pay 75 and (likely!) up retail pricing for a lowly 60W. Even wholesale I've yet to see one (locally or I'm just paying shipping) for under 50 on sale.

Most if not all LED lights are dimmable - it depends on the TRANSFORMER if you can dim it - that part you need to be careful with. You can have them on C4 dimmers, outlet dimmers, do DMX control....lots of options there.

Almost all LED strips have terrible dimming range when hooked straight to a transformer.

Any decent implementation of dimmable LED strips will use a dimmer with Pulse Width Modulated(PWM) outputs for your RGB channels. With that dimmer you can use pretty much any power supply.  PWM gives you a full dimming range.  Either do a DMX setup like Cyknight suggest or get a dedicated LED controller.  Also 80 feet is not going to be able to be powered from one end of the tape. you will get too much voltage drop across the tape and the other end will not be as bright. You will have to interrupt the strip every 15-20 feet and run a power line.

I have an old Numinus controller that i am not using Its RS232 controller i no longer need if anyone is interested.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/43332e3fdb300eaead564a0120c6636d?AccessKeyId=3957FCE6733A11CDAFBC&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Archived