C4 Forums | Control4

NYCE v Axxess motion sensor

eggzlot

Looking to pick up 1-2 motion sensors for a few rooms in my house.  Anyone have experience with either brand?  My dealer said he could purchase/install either for me.

NYCE seems to be a bit smaller in size but I read more posts about people with Axxess hardware.

Any thoughts?  Pros/cons to either models?

The nyce are very small and work great. They do not have light or temp sensors. If you need it this small, you have no other option.

The Axxess also work great and have temp, light, and optional humidity sernsors.

I use both in my home and they both serve their purposes great.

Thanks Avittech

The NYCE website says it does temp and humidity readings while Axxess mentions those and also ambient light.

I was going to program "only after sunset and before sunrise" to turn on when motion is detected (in the kitchen for example).  Though I guess the Axxess one you could say if the ambient light is below X% then turn on......?

In general the Axxess one is like 1'' bigger all around, not huge but at these sizes, its still like 50% bigger.

I've seen more issues with Nyce. Though that in this case mean a few with Nyce, non with Axxess.

The Axxess unit is more versatile in it's programming option though, and while the lithium batteries are not the cheapest, they last a LOOOONG time (3 year and going strong, outdoor with far below sub-zero (in Fahrenheit) temperatures), especially if the motion is fine-tuned properly (ie check interval time, temp and other stat update time, motion sensitivity, motion shut off during day or night (actually based as mentioned on light levels and settable). The Nyce uses Cr2 off the top of my head which aren't that much cheaper either (not the ceiling though, it uses aaa).

Oh and I find Nyce's humidity sensing too far out of whack (even their claimed 4% offset is a rather weak statistic, and I'm not sure that's even accurate).

I like the Nyce Ceiling unit if it fits the application - their 'normal' motion - while smaller - I really don't like the look of.

If a lot of the advanced Axxess features are not required - go for what looks best in your own eyes.

Thanks all

My dealer has more experience with Axxess too, so likely leaning that way.  like the smaller form factor of the NYCE but given the extra programming options and likely easier support, will likely go Axxess

• 4 weeks later...

NYCE has just been made aware of this forum for Control4 Dealers and will actively monitor it to post product information and answer product questions.

All of our sensor products are currently integrated and working with Control4.

Our three motion sensor products currently have temperature (+/-0.5C) and relative humidity (+/-4% RH) measurement integrated and shipping.

This function is implemented using MEMS-based silicon technology and does not require calibration or offsets.

We will be integrating ambient light measurement as well for later summer shipments.

Our Control4 drivers do not currently support the temperature and humidity functions.

We are working through an issue on this on Control4 and hope to have revised drivers released shortly,

Please contact us at support@nycesensors.com if you have any questions.

• 1 month later...

We have preliminary drivers working in house and have found a work-around mechanism to bring temp/humid into C4 using the proper ZigBee methodology.

This work around requires changes to our product firmware as well as our C4 drivers.

We will be releasing updated firmware and C4 drivers to Control4 in August.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/19/2015 at 4:20 PM, bradkelly said:

We have preliminary drivers working in house and have found a work-around mechanism to bring temp/humid into C4 using the proper ZigBee methodology.

This work around requires changes to our product firmware as well as our C4 drivers.

We will be releasing updated firmware and C4 drivers to Control4 in August.

@bradkelly Any update on temperature/humidity functionality for your motion sensors (specifically the NCZ-3043)?

I went with the Nyce sensor over Axxess based on my dealer's recommendation, but I'm disappointed in the lack of functionality. The motion sensor works great, but after spending the money on a sensor, I would love to be able to utilize the full functionality and control my bathroom exhaust fan.

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

What are some of the good uses for the motion sensors for Axxess? With or without temp/humidity

Say I don't have any lighting integration for now, I have philips hue on one of the side table light if it works with that. No HVAC and no alarm intergration. Will the sensor be of any use? I will be getting a yale lock for the front door though. I will have C4 control my HT and my family room tv, and upstairs tv and sonos play 1's.

So what use could I use the motion sensor for? Only to read the temp? lol

Thanks,
K.

Hi Guys,
What are some of the good uses for the motion sensors for Axxess? With or without temp/humidity
Say I don't have any lighting integration for now, I have philips hue on one of the side table light if it works with that. No HVAC and no alarm intergration. Will the sensor be of any use? I will be getting a yale lock for the front door though. I will have C4 control my HT and my family room tv, and upstairs tv and sonos play 1's.
So what use could I use the motion sensor for? Only to read the temp? lol
Thanks,
K.
I mean if you don't have anything for a motion to trigger why use motion?

Just imho reading all your posts you are going about this whole c4 system backwards

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Gotta agree you need a dealer to help map your needs

in the most simple form the sensor can trigger anything.   If someone walks by the trigger it can turn on your TV.  Why would you want that no idea.   But all it says is “I sense (or do not sense) motion now trigger {insert an action here}”

Email warnings someone's in the house at times there shouldn't be?

Turn on/off music (especially off, use sensor to track how long there's been no movement, tehn shut off music/tvs etc automatically)

But yeah, motions are a great asst, but if you have no function you want, why get them?

Archived