C4 Forums | Control4

Help with a 16 zone audio setup!

JCHAVESA

Hello there, I´m setting up a 16 zone distributed audio for my home and have very limited knowledge on C4 equipment.

I have in ceiling speakers KEF CI200QR placed around in large rooms (over 700 square feet rooms with high ceilings). These speakers have a recommended amplifier power 10-150W (I´ve been told they demand power to make them sound great) and  I´m getting a quote on a C4 audio setup as follows:

1 C416ZAMSV3B CONTROL 4 AUDIO MATRIX SWITCH - 16X16 

2 C4AMP108 8 Zone power amplifiers (with a rated wattage per channel of 55W@ 8 Ohms)

My concern is that I don´t want to be tight on the power side coming from the amplifier (I´d ratter have power to spare) 

So I´ll apreciate if someone can give me advice on whether or not the Control4® 8-Zone Matrix Amplifier C4-16AMP3-B would be a better choice and give me peace of mind as it seems capable of delivering more power to these speakers. As an alternative I´m open to consider better amplifiers from a third party that would integrate nice with a C4 system if there´s no C4 amplifier that would provide enough power to drive the speakers accordingly.

Tks.

My concern is that I don´t want to be tight on the power side coming from the amplifier (I´d ratter have power to spare)

Sigh.

Amp power ratings are such a poor thing to judge best choice on.

Plus being over powered is NOT by default an advantage at all - because it can a) blow up your speakers and B) cause low levels to not be all that low (poor for background music).

Note that the z zone used in the example matrix amplifier is rated at 60W at 8Ohms - there isn't that much difference.

(I´ve been told they demand power to make them sound great)

And I've been told that elves live in trees and dwarves in caves. That is such a non-remark - POWER in the end equals VOLUME not 'great sound'. IF you stress and amp too much (ie it's running at high loads to pump out medium volume) constantly THAT can cause 'bad' sound - this has NOTHING to do with speakers 'demanding power' directly.

Either C4 amplifier will work perfectly well with those speakers. I know because I have a few hundred of them installed.

And as per above - running those speakers at 70% on either amplifier is going to equal if not surpass a concert volume in most rooms (more factors at play) and they will still sound clear - and not stress the amp at all. Most likely you'll find yourself at 40% or less most of the time (remember db doesn't go linear!)

Speaker/amplifier wattage ratings are a pile of dung to base anything on. It's been getting BETTER on the amplifier side recently - not that long ago they would claim consumer amplifiers firing at 300w per channel on all 9 channels. If they actually did that, they'd pop a standard breaker every time - with no other devices on that same breaker.

Thanks for all this input. Really appreciate you guys taking the time to share your experiences and feedback. Like the elves/trees and dwarves/caves remark. Was thinking about the Control4® 8-Zone Matrix Amplifier C4-16AMP3-B which delivers 120W at 8Ohms, but maybe it makes more sense to bridge the channels on the quoted c4 amo and if necessary add another one to compensate.

Thanks for all this input. Really appreciate you guys taking the time to share your experiences and feedback. Like the elves/trees and dwarves/caves remark. Was thinking about the Control4® 8-Zone Matrix Amplifier C4-16AMP3-B which delivers 120W at 8Ohms, but maybe it makes more sense to bridge the channels on the quoted c4 amo and if necessary add another one to compensate.

Don't fall for the high wattage number. 55w to 120w is roughly a 10-15% increase in decibels  (loudness as you can perceive it) at the top levels - Personally I'd really wish they'd drop the whole term to begin with.

The ONLY thing you really need to know is that your AMP rating shouldn't be (much) more than your speaker rating or you're liable to blow your speakers.

Though your MUCH more likely to blow a speaker using an underpowered amp and driving it to its upper limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, yes if you're clipping your amp constantly it will ruin your speakers as well - however 55w on a speaker ranging 10-150 isnt near that.

We can start an extensive discussion on RMS vs PMPO and which everyone tends to publish and how accurately.... but I'm way too tired of that sort of never-ending circle argument ;)

Thanks for all this input. Really appreciate you guys taking the time to share your experiences and feedback. Like the elves/trees and dwarves/caves remark. Was thinking about the Control4® 8-Zone Matrix Amplifier C4-16AMP3-B which delivers 120W at 8Ohms, but maybe it makes more sense to bridge the channels on the quoted c4 amo and if necessary add another one to compensate.

Or get one of these. Live with it and see if you need more power. The consensus here is you wont.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have a related question.  We have 10 zones but really use about 8.  Dealer has suggested installing the 8 zone matrix amp.  There are currently 8 individual Audiosource amps.  No they aren't high end but they work perfectly fine for the whole home audio.  Wouldn't just using the 16 zone matrix switch be cheaper?  I am also concerned with having the switch and amp in one unit and possibility of channels go bad then the whole unit needs serviced vs switching an amp out.

Archived