C4 Forums | Control4

Intercom choice

For an intercom at a gate:  Doorbird, 2N Doorstation or other?

Looking to have a camera of course but the customer is also looking to have the gate open automatically when he arrives home?  I see the 2N has a bluetooth module but it takes place of the keypad which I think would be a bad trade off since the keypad is necessary.

Integration into C4 to get announcements and video popup on Navigators or touchscreens if possible

I am using 2N Helios for about 2-3 months and it has been solid.  I do not have or need a keypad or gate access so I have not looked at those options.  But options in the UI are great.  Ability to get a call that goes directly to my cell phone, tablet, PC and c4 touchscreens at the same time is really nice as well - I know a lot of people are waiting for the C4 version to be able to handle that feature.

To have a gate open automatically you can likely look at geo location tools vs using the door station?  I have not messed around with geo location services but its an option.  Some also discussed putting an RF Tag in their car but not sure if 2N has RF ability.  Geo location would depend on the user having their cell phone with them.

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I am using 2N Helios for about 2-3 months and it has been solid.  I do not have or need a keypad or gate access so I have not looked at those options.  But options in the UI are great.  Ability to get a call that goes directly to my cell phone, tablet, PC and c4 touchscreens at the same time is really nice as well - I know a lot of people are waiting for the C4 version to be able to handle that feature.

To have a gate open automatically you can likely look at geo location tools vs using the door station?  I have not messed around with geo location services but its an option.  Some also discussed putting an RF Tag in their car but not sure if 2N has RF ability.  Geo location would depend on the user having their cell phone with them.

Which geolocation tools are you referring to?  IFTTT?  He can really just use his remote for the gate so not a big deal.  Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.  

16 minutes ago, Control-IT said:

Which geolocation tools are you referring to?  IFTTT?  He can really just use his remote for the gate so not a big deal.  Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.  

You said he wants the gate to open automatically when he gets home. IFTTT is the way to do that. 

Id recommend the DS2, I hear the intercom app is coming out soon as well 

44 minutes ago, Control-IT said:

Ifttt is an option.  It is nothing i have serious explored so I’ll let others chime in with more information.

I second the DS2 recommendation.  It is a good solid piece of equipment now and the Intercom App has to be very close.  I think buying any other door station is likely to lead to (relative) disappointment when the C4 intercom app does arrive. 

geo location is the way to go.  There are a few ways to do this but I have found IFTTT and Alan’s IFTTT driver works great for me. 

On 6/27/2018 at 3:52 PM, Control-IT said:

I see the 2N has a bluetooth module but it takes place of the keypad which I think would be a bad trade off since the keypad is necessary.

Integration into C4 to get announcements and video popup on Navigators or touchscreens if possible

I'd go the 2N route, C4 thought it was so good they took the badge off and called it a DS2, it already has the remote answering app that C4 has had in Beta for, well , forever, and has been close to launch for, well forever as well, and you can easily do the announcements, popups, etc. just the same as you can with a DS2, 

the bluetooth doesn't replace the keypad if you dont want it too, one of the benefits of the 2N option is you have all the additional frames, mounting plates and modules you don't get offered by C4, so if you want keypad and BT you can go for a 3 module tall unit (intercom, keypad, BT) or go for a 2x2 side by side and add an info panel in there as well or just leave one module with the blank in it. 

Archived