C4 Forums | Control4

DS2,Intercom Anywhere & wanting a Door Bell Sound

jmb

We have just installed a new door station 2 with Intercom Anywhere and a touchscreen.   

Everything works great, but at times we miss the traditional door bell, as the intercom app means carrying your phone with you at all times in the house.  We would like to still hear a bell ring when we are home.

Has anyone done anything creative to also ring a traditional sounding Bell when the door station is pushed?  

I'm thinking we have triad one amp and c4 amp that I could play a sound when the door station is pressed but I'm also open to a better idea.

thanks in advance,

I use my C4 Amp/video storm audio matrix to play a doorbell sound in my kitchen, dining room, master bedroom and home office.  Covers most of the areas of my home.  If I have music playing on the patio then the doorbell rings there too (it obviously assumes I am outside because the music is it on so it plays the doorbell only at those times)

during the holidays I play Xmas music as a doorbell, for the superbowl I have a random rotation of the "theme" songs for CBS Sports, Fox Sports and MNF playing when people ring my doorbell.  Have fun with it!

program an announcement sound (and decide which rooms it plays in). when the doorbell is rung, play announcement. In rooms where you have the ceiling speakers also playing TV audio, I like to put a snapshot in to make sure the TV sound goes back correctly after announcement is played.

Not sure if you still have the normal doorbell chime in your home, but if you do, you can connect the old doorbell wire to the relay on the DS2.  Then when someone presses the button on the DS2, the relay on the DS2 momentarily closes, simulating a traditional doorbell press.  You can do this in addition to the other things, like playing sounds at the touchscreens, announcing over multi-room audio, etc.

1 hour ago, dw886 said:

Not sure if you still have the normal doorbell chime in your home, but if you do, you can connect the old doorbell wire to the relay on the DS2.  Then when someone presses the button on the DS2, the relay on the DS2 momentarily closes, simulating a traditional doorbell press.  You can do this in addition to the other things, like playing sounds at the touchscreens, announcing over multi-room audio, etc.

Interesting, I don't but it would be easy to add one back.   I just need to check the wiring.   thank you.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone actually know how to wire up this doorbell?

I had it working by taking the Relay1 output of the doorstation, to a single relay (generic driver). 
Then, I had it set that when the relay was opened, it would close after .7s. This worked great. The traditional two wire doorbell chimed. 

Then, randomly, about a week ago the doorbell started to just stay open. 
I rebooted everything, and it still wasn't working. So I added in programming to wait another .5s and then again close the relay. Then all of a sudden it would about 30% of the time. Otherwise it would stay open and my doorbell was getting HOT. 

Now, I can't get it to work at all. 

I have even logged into the web portal for the Ds2 and made sure the button was set up. I have tried both single and dual. I have tried using pulse and toggle in C4 programming also. No matter what I do, the doorbell just stays stuck open, and buzzing.  

Is the relay on your ds2 set to monostable (pulse)?

You can use the relay on the ds2 to trigger the doorbell (assuming that the doorbell voltage for your doorbell is within the range of what the Ds2 relay can handle...), you just have to have the relay enabled in the Ds2 settings, and set to mono stable. If it's set to bistable, then it'll turn on (and stay on) with a press of the Ds2, and then turn off (and stay off) with a second press. This isn't what you'd want for a doorbell, so you use mono stable where it closes/opens the relay with a single press...

This is all in the driver settings - you shouldn't need any special programming.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Archived