C4 Forums | Control4

Smart Bulbs or Plugs

Time2Jet

I’m giving up on Hue. Can anyone tell me what bulbs or plugs they’ve had great success with?

The Hue bulbs do not stay connected. My home is relatively large and quite chopped up, so I’ll need something that maintains strong bond and is able to work my situation.

I’m having success with my Caseta (40+ Items), but the plugs are expensive. I need 11-15 bulbs or plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have several outlet solutions integrated including

We have a wide range of lighting solutions

1 minute ago, time2jet said:

Do you have any of it in your project@LollerAgent and how does it perform? Hue isn’t cutting it for me. My home is too chopped up. They wanted me to run two bridges (like zones). That’s nuts.

I have several of the TP-Link smart "plugs" (HS101, 110, 103) in my project and they are super reliable and work great (using Alan's driver referenced above)!  

Hue also works great for me.  I have the bridge centrally located and it seems to be covering all of my 5000+ sq ft. home; although I don't have any Hue bulbs in the basement just yet (the bridge is located in the middle of the main floor).  Wondering if you may have any Zigbee interference?

I’ve changed the Hue Zigbee channel a few times. I haven’t tried turning off the C4 zigbee yet. I’m sure it’s just that the first device is too far from the bridge, and I have a loft that’s a little isolated.

I do like the TP-Link stuff so far and also have Alan’s driver, so I may go the plug route. TP just uses 2.4gHz correct, no special protocols (Zigbee, Zigbee Pro, clear Connect, etc)?

Once I get my network redone with all of this new Pakedge stuff it should be strong and stable.

I guess maybe you’ve answered my questions. I just was trying to get the best I can in terms of signal and integration.

2 hours ago, time2jet said:

I’ve changed the Hue Zigbee channel a few times. I haven’t tried turning off the C4 zigbee yet. I’m sure it’s just that the first device is too far from the bridge, and I have a loft that’s a little isolated.

I do like the TP-Link stuff so far and also have Alan’s driver, so I may go the plug route. TP just uses 2.4gHz correct, no special protocols (Zigbee, Zigbee Pro, clear Connect, etc)?

Once I get my network redone with all of this new Pakedge stuff it should be strong and stable.

I guess maybe you’ve answered my questions. I just was trying to get the best I can in terms of signal and integration.

No special protocols with TP-Link...just 2.4Ghz Wifi. I have bulbs, plugs and switches in my project (with Alan's driver) and have been very happy with them. Connectivity hasn't been a problem with any of them. If you have lamps, I would recommend the bulbs over the plugs as you can nicely integrate the bulbs into advanced lighting scenes. 

5 minutes ago, rea said:

No special protocols with TP-Link...just 2.4Ghz Wifi. I have bulbs, plugs and switches in my project (with Alan's driver) and have been very happy with them. Connectivity hasn't been a problem with any of them. If you have lamps, I would recommend the bulbs over the plugs as you can nicely integrate the bulbs into advanced lighting scenes. 

Thanks @rea. I like bulbs as well.  I just thought the plugs would be more reliable.

45 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Thanks @rea. I like bulbs as well.  I just thought the plugs would be more reliable.

I have both in my system and haven't had any connectivity/stability issues with either the plugs or bulbs so you should be good either way. 

4 hours ago, rea said:

Not entirely true.  We created our own replacement Outlet Light driver which is compatible with advanced lighting scenes.  Having said that bulbs have dimming capabilities where plugs / outlets are simple on/off.  So whatever is suitable for the specific lamp.

I will have 10 white ambiance hue bulbs and a bridge for sale (if I don’t first burn them in my fire pit). I’ve never been so frustrated. I just pulled all ten bulbs to within 12 feet of the bridge. 3 are always unreachable. Funny thing, those there are never the same. All are updated to the current firmware and Hue still rejects that it could be the radio in the bridge that isn’t functioning as it should.

I ordered 10 TP-Link Color Bulbs. I cannot wait.

2 hours ago, time2jet said:

I will have 10 white ambiance hue bulbs and a bridge for sale (if I don’t first burn them in my fire pit). I’ve never been so frustrated. I just pulled all ten bulbs to within 12 feet of the bridge. 3 are always unreachable. Funny thing, those there are never the same. All are updated to the current firmware and Hue still rejects that it could be the radio in the bridge that isn’t functioning as it should.

I ordered 10 TP-Link Color Bulbs. I cannot wait.

Ugh - yeah, sounds like you have a bridge or interference problem.  Hue is generally rock solid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.