C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 thermsotats vs Ecobee3 lite

Fox

Hi,

I have 3 zones in my house with control4 thermostats currently (circa 2014 vintage I could go look up model numbers if needed) and I just got 2 (probably could get a third) Ecobee3 lite thermostats.

I'm just wondering if there's any advantage to switching, it looks as if I could get motion sensors for the ecobee which would be nice, although I really don't want to invest more in them at this time (and I have a large house so I'd probably need a lot of them). Can I control them outside of the house? (I do not have 4sight subscription). I do not have nor have any interest in having any voice activated assistance. I have some semi-advanced programming with composer.

I'm still on 2.10 if that matters, although I'd probably upgrade to 3.0 if I need to contact the dealer for anything (such as adding these). Just trying to figure out if there's a reason to do so or not.

I have switched from control4 to ecobee. I can say that their web interface gives your more info and allows you to track more in a better interface. However i really dont see much energy savings. However only two of us live in the house. We work all the time, and travel. So the house 1700 sqft is mostly vacant other than the dogs and my control4 system haha so our ac usage is minor compared to most homes.

I've wondered about this as well.

I recently had a bunch of Control4 gear installed (as end-user and working for a dealer): light switches, cameras, themostats, locks, etc.

I have 3 heat pumps, and the 2 main ones downstairs are now Control4, and I moved the Ecobee 3 upstairs.

What can I do, or not do, if I try to incorporate the Ecobee into my system?  And is it worth the cost and bother (and what are the costs, by the way)?

In other words, will Control4 provide the same functionality I have with the Ecobee on its own?

I have to decide in the next week or 2 what thermostats I want to buy for my house. I'm leaning towards just getting the Control4 ones at this point, but curious if there's any good reason to go with something else (Nest, Ecobee, etc...).

11 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

Ecobee looks better (IMHO), Has more settings and is Saving me money over time vs control4 (some will argue this).  The savings easily paid for driver. 

any Tstat can be an eye sore.  I have c4 thermostats that have in wall sensors wired down to my basement where all the Tstats reside on a wall.  Basically have these in my walls - and you can paint over them too

https://www.amazon.com/Aprilaire-Temperature-Sensor-Remote-Thermostat/dp/B00266ZH2W/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=remote+in+wall+temperature+sensor&qid=1566843437&s=gateway&sr=8-2

10 hours ago, msgreenf said:

No Costs... Free driver. Just your time

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for this.

The other question is will Control4 provide the same functionality with my Ecobee 3 that  I have with the Ecobee on its own?  Or will I be giving up functionality of the Ecobee 3 by controlling it with the Control4 driver?

10 hours ago, Fox said:

Can I remotely control the ecobee (outside the home) or just on the local network with an app?

if you tie it into Control4, you have a number of  ways to access. Native Ecobee app, Ecobee Webpage or Control4.

All work remotely, assuming you have C4 subscription.  Ecobee doesn't need a subscription for remote access.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.