C4 Forums | Control4

Flirc IR Firestick driver for Control4

azkid

Was wondering if anyone has a driver to use a Flirc (amazon link) with a Firestick and control4 remote to reduce the input lag?  I know there is other ways to fix this (IRUSB) but I already have a flirc and it seems like this should be possible...  I'm thinking my dealer should be able to "learn" the inputs via a harmony remote that is already setup to run the FLIR but if someone has already done this or created a driver that would save my dealer some time and thus me some $.  Thanks in advance! 

Here's an IR driver for a fire stick with the amazon logo. I'll also attach the config file for the flirc that the driver was based on. I use the IP driver on my system so I can take advantage of the mini drivers then switch to the flirc driver with a bit of programming when a mini driver is selected so I get IR control

Amazon FireTV 20180920.fcfg mediaplayer_amazon_firetv_flirc_2018.c4z

17 hours ago, Thepritch88 said:

Here's an IR driver for a fire stick with the amazon logo. I'll also attach the config file for the flirc that the driver was based on. I use the IP driver on my system so I can take advantage of the mini drivers then switch to the flirc driver with a bit of programming when a mini driver is selected so I get IR control

Amazon FireTV 20180920.fcfg 364 B · 0 downloads mediaplayer_amazon_firetv_flirc_2018.c4z 245.15 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks so much! I will share with my dealer. Any chance you can share a screenshot or more details on your programming that allows the mini apps and then switching over?  Sounds like a nice addition! 

Sure, it’s fairly straight forward. Firstly you need a dummy A/V switch driver with 2 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi output. Set up the IP driver with the mini drivers you want so it’s all working correctly, in composer connect the IP driver to one of the hdmi inputs on the A/V switch, rename the IP driver to Fire stick app switcher. Add IR driver to project and connect to the other hdmi input on the A/V switch, then connect the output of the A/V switch to wherever the Fire stick in physically plugged in. Hide fire stick app switcher from navigators. Connect IR from controller to flirc.

Then in programming select a room, select “when video changes”.

then in the script below put a conditional “if video source is Netflix OR if video source is Prime video OR (however many mini drivers you have) “

then nest an action to the conditional to select the fire stick IR driver in that room. 

let me know if any of that doesn’t make sense, there may be a better way to do the programming that others can mention but it works well. I’ll try and post a screenshot later.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:16 AM, Thepritch88 said:

Sure, it’s fairly straight forward. Firstly you need a dummy A/V switch driver with 2 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi output. Set up the IP driver with the mini drivers you want so it’s all working correctly, in composer connect the IP driver to one of the hdmi inputs on the A/V switch, rename the IP driver to Fire stick app switcher. Add IR driver to project and connect to the other hdmi input on the A/V switch, then connect the output of the A/V switch to wherever the Fire stick in physically plugged in. Hide fire stick app switcher from navigators. Connect IR from controller to flirc.

then in the script below put a conditional “if video source is Netflix OR if video source is Prime video OR (however many mini drivers you have) “

then nest an action to the conditional to select the fire stick IR driver in that room. 

let me know if any of that doesn’t make sense, there may be a better way to do the programming that others can mention but it works well. I’ll try and post a screenshot later.

Thanks! A screenshot would be great.  I think it all makes sense, I will keep you updated if I run into any issues.  

On 7/15/2020 at 1:16 AM, Thepritch88 said:

Ok I got the drivers working with the FLICR however I haven't been able to figure out the programming.  Here is what I have but when I select one of the mini apps from my remote the whole controller crashes.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong or can you provide the screenshot of your programming?  Thanks!
image.thumb.png.30134cf69dd56856ce76c506a7399ce1.png

• 1 year later...

The new(ish) driver only works on systems running 3.0+
My system is running 2.9.1. I have a lot of HC800’s in my system and lots of IE touchscreens and I don’t want to switch out all the hardware just to upgrade to 3.0. My system works great on 2.9.1 and there are no features in 3.0 that I “need” that justifies swapping out all the hardware. 

On 8/20/2021 at 11:23 PM, jillmark99 said:

The new(ish) driver only works on systems running 3.0+
My system is running 2.9.1. I have a lot of HC800’s in my system and lots of IE touchscreens and I don’t want to switch out all the hardware just to upgrade to 3.0. My system works great on 2.9.1 and there are no features in 3.0 that I “need” that justifies swapping out all the hardware. 

You need to consider a migration path to 3.x m, OS2 is obsolete, EOL and soon no support.

Gradually buy the necessary T3 screens, this will be you biggest cost, also grab a couple EA1’s for GUI, eBay have some great deals.

18 hours ago, Amr said:

You need to consider a migration path to 3.x m, OS2 is obsolete, EOL and soon no support.

Gradually buy the necessary T3 screens, this will be you biggest cost, also grab a couple EA1’s for GUI, eBay have some great deals.

The HC800s will work as controllers in OS3, but they don't give you the GUI.  But a lot of people don't care about the GUI these days, especially if you have touch screens and have remotes and use your phone.  I never use the GUI myself.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:10 PM, jillmark99 said:

@Thepritch88 how well does this solution work with your FireTV in your Control4 system? Are you happy with it? 

It’s been rock solid since I installed it, no lag in commands and because it IR it’s extremely reliable. I would also recommend getting a usb hub with Ethernet, and plugging that in to the OTG cable then plug the flirc into the usb hub, you can then hardwire  your fire stick with Ethernet, and you have spare USB ports on the hub for things portable hard drives if you have content stores that you want to watch through the fire stick 

9 hours ago, Thepritch88 said:

It’s been rock solid since I installed it, no lag in commands and because it IR it’s extremely reliable. I would also recommend getting a usb hub with Ethernet, and plugging that in to the OTG cable then plug the flirc into the usb hub, you can then hardwire  your fire stick with Ethernet, and you have spare USB ports on the hub for things portable hard drives if you have content stores that you want to watch through the fire stick 

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a Gen2 flirc and I will give it a try sometime this week or on the weekend.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.