C4 Forums | Control4

Used Matrix Amplifier - ok?

Dueport

I’m looking to buy a used, working C4-16AMP3-B and I found one but it has the older C4 logo. It is the same model name as the current model and I don’t see any revisions.  Do the only difference appears to be the logo which I don’t mind because it would be in a rack anyway.  Is this device current and would you all recommend purchasing or should I steer clear of a matrix amplifier with the older logo? Or maybe a used matrix amp altogether?

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I would stay away from the old amp matrix as they do have a failing power supply problem.

Very helpful to know thank you Mitch - probably saved me a lot of headaches!  So the ones with the current logo don’t seem to have that power supply issue?

The 4 zone matrix seems to be rock solid. The 8 zone less so but better than the PAMP that followed. 

I sold a rock solid 4 zone matrix on eBay and bought another recently. 

My other system had a 16ch matrix B which is soon up for sale and and AMX 8 zone class d that looks a lot like the triad amp.  The matrix only came out because a triad 8 zone matrix appears for cents on the dollar on eBay and I snapped that up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 11:01 PM, SMHarman said:

The 4 zone matrix seems to be rock solid. The 8 zone less so but better than the PAMP that followed. 

I sold a rock solid 4 zone matrix on eBay and bought another recently. 

My other system had a 16ch matrix B which is soon up for sale and and AMX 8 zone class d that looks a lot like the triad amp.  The matrix only came out because a triad 8 zone matrix appears for cents on the dollar on eBay and I snapped that up.

Thank you - so have you found that the C4 Matrix amps are more rock solid for you than the Triad Power Amps?  So for you the C4 Matrix Amps have been ok?  To @msgreenf's point re sound quality and volume control - that's worth considering for sure - also noticed that the Triads seem to do autosensing which may be good for alexa or josh down the road....  Have to say that the cost of the matrix amps is very tempting over the Triads but I don't want to waste money either....

17 hours ago, Dueport said:

have you found that the C4 Matrix amps are more rock solid for you than the Triad Power Amps? 

The Triads so far have been rock-solid, it's the older Control4 POWER amps that have longevity issues.

The old C4 MATRIX amp on the other hand seems night indestructible to my experience as well - nor am I aware of them having a major issue?

Second hand is always a risk of course.

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

The Triads so far have been rock-solid, it's the older Control4 POWER amps that have longevity issues.

The old C4 MATRIX amp on the other hand seems night indestructible to my experience as well - nor am I aware of them having a major issue?

Second hand is always a risk of course.

Really helpful - thank you!  So just to make sure I’m going down the right path - the old C4 Matrix amp would be the ones with the older logo and model numbers C4-16AMP3-B or the C4-8AMP1-B?  The older C4 Power Amp model number is C4-AMP108?

2 hours ago, Dueport said:

The older C4 Power Amp model number is C4-AMP108?

Yes, or 104 for the 4-zone.

The matrix amps may have the newer logo too in some cases (the newest ones basically) but they'll all have a different appearance (the oldest are completely different, the newer ones will have the rounded look, all will have a LCD screen and round knob on the front)

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Yes, or 104 for the 4-zone.

The matrix amps may have the newer logo too in some cases (the newest ones basically) but they'll all have a different appearance (the oldest are completely different, the newer ones will have the rounded look, all will have a LCD screen and round knob on the front)

thank you for your help - really appreciate it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.