C4 Forums | Control4

How many streams on Spotify?

stlcity

I have 10 Spotify driver instances for 10 rooms.

I open Spotify Connect (again, worst model of integration ever, but oh well), to play something on my phone, touch the weird phone/PC icon to get my list of 10 rooms, and if I pick any of 9 of the 10 it plays for 5 seconds then ends.

I have a master bath - that sounds amazing given marble surfaces reflect audio nicely - but that's all that will persist music.

We have Spotify Family plan, drivers are up to date, and we disabled the 5 second power off rooms if we close Spotify app.

Dealer is again on vacation (travels like every single weekend to be with family) so hard to troubleshoot this on my own.  Family getting upset.

Well...there's actually a hard 11 driver limit on Spotify Connect (API limit), plus the Spotify app itself will have issues if there are more than 11 connect capable 'devices' (each driver is considered a device) on a network.

So if you have 10 drivers, you need to check if you do not have OTHER spotify connect capable devices on the network (numerous wireless speakers, most modern receivers, and several media streamers and smart TVs can have it built in - and each would count as a device).

9 hours ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

I open Spotify Connect (again, worst model of integration ever, but oh well),

I think everyone has their own preferences on this.  IMO Airplay/Shairplay is a far worse integration than Spotify Connect and I think most people would agree. 

Personally I prefer using the Spotify app to find my music and start it playing.  It is then two clicks to play to the correct room in C4. I don't think that is bad integration.  I find that the UIs within Control4 for the streaming services that I have used (Tidal and Amazon Music) are vastly inferior to the Spotify UI.  And the Spotify app is better integrated to music that I listen to directly own my phone or car - so I can go phone listening on my phone/Airpods to car to C4.  You can't do that from within the C4 UI.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

When I click on Devices in Spotify I see 21 devices - 11 SageTV driver instances and 10 other devices such as Rokus, PCs, AndroidTV, etc. My system works fine without issues right now.

This is direct info from both C4 and Spotify - just because it works for you doesn't mean it'll work for others. Just something to look at.

Of course, network can be a culprit too, but the fact that it seems to work flawlessly in one location doesn't make me think of that first.

5 minutes ago, zaphod said:

True, but Cyknight mentioned other Spotify connect devices, like smart TVs

The limit is a control4 limit of instance driven by process resources on a controller. It's not a Spotify limit

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

The limit is a control4 limit of instance driven by process resources on a controller. It's not a Spotify limit

No it's supposedly an API limit on Spotify and has nothing to do with C4 processors.

If you've never connected your -just as an example- smart TV to spotify, it may not affect it at all, C4's will as soon as the driver is loaded.

C4 itself would have to chime in on specific details - I'm a tinkerer at best when it comes to APIs.

The maximum number of Spotify drivers you can have in a project is 11 due to Spotify's API...... Spotify's application will not show the 12th streaming device.

Spotify has stated no hard limits themselves on the number of instances on a single IP/network AFAIK - but not saying that there are any or how many isn't the same as not having a limit in place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.