C4 Forums | Control4

Keypad for Lights stopped working

We have 2 Keypads (as shown in photo) that have lighting scenes programmed.  Yesterday, they suddenly stopped working.  One of the keypads shows red lights, the other one has nothing lit up at all.

Our C4 was installed 2 1/2 years ago in a new house.  I don't believe there have been any software upgrades installed.  I'm not really sure why the builder chose C4, since the only thing it is controlling is our lights.  It cannot control our door locks, our cameras, our door bell, our HVAC and we are not doing any audio or video - other than just a cable box from Comcast.    The Installer will not provide service, although our contract calls for 24/7 service. The builder did not pay him over 5G, and the installer wrote us saying "WE FIRED YOU." 

I've had 2 other low voltage companies come in & they looked at the control box & the wiring and they do not want to be responsible for servicing.

SO What would cause the light keypads to suddenly stop working, and what can I do to get them working again?  

Thank you

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Looks like a mosfet failure, a dealer or homeowner with composer can see the error in the software. Push the tab on above the top button in on the right side of the dimmer and back out to reset it. If it keeps failing the dimmer is done if not and it works it's fine. What load is on this keypad? Did you recently change bulbs on that load?

The reason the builder installed C4 is because that's what his CI installs. He probably wired your whole home for an a/v system (also paid for by the builder) which he thought the builder would allow him to pitch to you for a full C4 install. He probably has a small package (the lights in your case) that come basic to his homes. Since as you say the builder stiffed the dealer, he felt there was no upside to continue working with the builder/you. Tough to have other guys come in, as yes why would they service something the A. didn't install or warranty. b. have no upside in installing new products as it seams like you have other DIY options for your locks/thermostats/tv's.

Actually, he did Not wire for audio.video, as we were not interested in that.  All we needed was light control & Internet - the TV's are not connected - each has its own Xfinity box.  Our installer is still working for the builder - they worked something out, because a year ago we ran into an employee of our Install company & he told me they weren't working for our builder anymore. But now they are.  They have been friends since childhood.  BUT - the builder actually TOLD the Low voltage co to stop working for us because we had a dispute.    As I mentioned, so far no luck in getting a dealer to service.

THis same dealer installed all the low voltage stuff - doorbells, security cameras, but they don't work either.   I mentioned that to the Dealer's employee and he said it's only a few minute fix - but he's not allowed to come do it.   I Need a Dealer

As for the lights - I unplugged the C$ box & replugged it, and now working.

THANK YOU

Ah that makes sense, I wouldn't blame them for refusing to work with you if you stiffed the builder. Why would they have confidence you would pay them, and why would they damage their relationship with the builder who provides them work?

Your best bet is to find a control4 dealer who either needs the work or is new to the industry and needs to learn on the job troubleshooting. Or you could pay the builder and I would bet the a/v company would be told they are allowed to help you again.

5 minutes ago, HRT said:

Ah that makes sense, I wouldn't blame them for refusing to work with you if you stiffed the builder. Why would they have confidence you would pay them, and why would they damage their relationship with the builder who provides them work?

Your best bet is to find a control4 dealer who either needs the work or is new to the industry and needs to learn on the job troubleshooting. Or you could pay the builder and I would bet the a/v company would be told they are allowed to help you again.

Nope - other way around - Builder & Dealer have both been paid.  Builder owes me a bunch.  

4 hours ago, SRQUser said:

Nope - other way around - Builder & Dealer have both been paid.  Builder owes me a bunch.  

ok sounds good, either way if a builder asks one of his subs who could be a large chunk of his revenue to not work with someone due to a dispute they have to way that out. They made the right decision for them, by obviously not for you unfortunately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.