C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon fire stick control question

AtlantaSteven

Hi

One of my “Watch” options includes my Amazon Fire Stick, although I usually use Roku. 

My C4 remote controls Roku with no issue. I just tried for the first time to control the fire stick. None of the C4 remote buttons have any effect on the fire stick.

Is this just a driver issue? Perhaps my installer forgot to install a specific driver.?

Your thoughts ?

thanks in advance.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

My dealer told me (only last week) they were unable to add any control to a Firestick so we have to use Control4 to access the stream and then use the amazon remote to move around within the Firestick UI. Bit clunky to say the least! So if anyone can tell me I should be able to fully integrate the Firestick I would be happy to know so I can get the dealer back in.

Long story short.

They had an awesome driver for like 2 days then Amazon made them pull it for who knows what reason, then the driver has been MIA for months no and its still not (re)released.

They have a crappy driver that delays commands by 1-2 seconds per button press. Its terrible.

Use the amazon remote until the driver is rereleased.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, videostorm said:

You can also use our IRUSB driver to control FireStick.   It is fast IP control for any Amazon device, but you do need to purchase the hardware for it ~$40.

https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.php?prod=IRUSB

Full free C4 driver.  

Or you could wait......   Depends on your threshold :)

I have an IRUSB somewhere else and it works great,  I'm a huge fan of this device.  That being said, the one thing that makes me want to use the native Amazon/Shield drivers, is the ability to run apps in passive mode (where the mini driver displays as the source instead of the IRUSB device)  i think its a much cleaner end user experience.

Is there any ability to enable passive for IRUSB or future plans?

On 5/13/2021 at 8:27 AM, BraydonH said:

Long story short.

They had an awesome driver for like 2 days then Amazon made them pull it for who knows what reason, then the driver has been MIA for months no and its still not (re)released.

They have a crappy driver that delays commands by 1-2 seconds per button press. Its terrible.

Use the amazon remote until the driver is rereleased.

Well, I'd say it's a bout 500ms - which will feel like 3-4 seconds 😄

Wait, or if it's pressing go with IRUSB (which will likely be quicker even if/when the better driver is re-released, tough it's another thing to keep updated)

Oh and the reason was somewhat similar to a recent SHIELD driver issue - in that the API exposed something it shouldn't if memory servers...

OH, just make sure that you use those IRUSBs right away when you get them - they're small, heavily packed in plastic and apparently easily mistaken for empty bubble wrap and thrown out (at least that is my wife's defence when she threw out the 3 I ordered for myself....... 😱

On 5/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, videostorm said:

You can also use our IRUSB driver to control FireStick.   It is fast IP control for any Amazon device, but you do need to purchase the hardware for it ~$40.

https://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.php?prod=IRUSB

Full free C4 driver.  

Or you could wait......   Depends on your threshold :)

Apologies. Wrote passive. Meant pass through. 

4 hours ago, malelan said:

Apologies. Wrote passive. Meant pass through. 

It's possible.  That is a feature of the new mini driver functions released a year back or so that allows the mini drivers to forward the key commands down the chain.  Our driver is written with the "hijack" the source selection method that was the only way prior to that update.  Backwards compatibility for existing installs would be the only real issue....

Other than seeing the app name instead of the Fire stick name as your selected source, what is the advantage you see with the new method? 

2 hours ago, videostorm said:

It's possible.  That is a feature of the new mini driver functions released a year back or so that allows the mini drivers to forward the key commands down the chain.  Our driver is written with the "hijack" the source selection method that was the only way prior to that update.  Backwards compatibility for existing installs would be the only real issue....

Other than seeing the app name instead of the Fire stick name as your selected source, what is the advantage you see with the new method? 

I think thats the only advantage,  It's just cleaner for the end user to understand what source they are in by looking at the remote.  It makes programming a bit easier if you want to fire commands when certain devices are selected  i.e Red button when Room Media Device = Netflix etc.  This should still be possible either way, but a bit more work the other way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.