C4 Forums | Control4

Flo Logic - water shut off system and control 4

TexasBill

http://www.flologic.com/

I have had several emails (so I thought that I would post this info) about this and I recommend it - it is EASY to set up and requires no driver.

The flo logic is a water shut off valve that when water flows and meets certain criteria it will shut off the water for your house -

There are two modes

Regular

Vacation

In regular mode you determine how much and for how long water can flow before shutting off. Mine is set for 30 minutes - that means that at 29 minutes of running water you need to shut off the water for a second or two and then turn it back on or the entire house will be without water - you can easily change the time duration.

24 hours after no flow is detected or on command the system can go into vacation mode - this allows only a few minutes of water before shutting off the water. When you come home you simply turn on a faucet for about ten seconds and then turn it off and it says "ok - he's home" and goes back into regular mode.

All of the interfacing is easily done through "relays" open or closed. It has an override for water softener as well since that runs at 2 AM every week or so at my house and I don't want to wake up for that or change my values.

I have the house announce "The water has been turned off" when the relay is activated - I have had this in several houses now and it has saved me a lot of leaky toilet water running money as well as several actual leaks.

I recommend it.

Bill

Thanks for sharing. I am going to look into that.

I also have wireless water sensors that will trigger a notice to the house as well - the really cool thing is that they can also trigger the flo logic - meaning that they tell the house that they sense water and the house closes a relay that shuts off the flow logic.

So it is two way notification - I can tell it to shut off and it can sense and tell me that it shut off.

On additional really cool thing is that when I want the water off (the plumber is here) I can easily do it without gong outside and messing with the valve.

Bill

I have water sensors under the fridge as well as every sink and toilet.

I don't have an automated shutoff valve however...this is definitely something to look in to.

In my new house it was there from day one - however in prior houses it was a retrofit - it is an EASY retrofit.

Bill

I also have wireless water sensors that will trigger a notice to the house as well - the really cool thing is that they can also trigger the flo logic - meaning that they tell the house that they sense water and the house closes a relay that shuts off the flow logic.

So it is two way notification - I can tell it to shut off and it can sense and tell me that it shut off.

This is key. I was thinking about all the scenarios where this would not replace a water sensor network and if this device works as the valve for either its' logic or the sensor inputs then it is a no-brainer I think.

What about the option to completely turn off its built in logic and only go off of sensor input? I'm just afraid something will cause an issue it doesn't understand, like irrigation, on-demand water heating/recirc pump, etc, so I don't trust it to be smart enough to deal with my house. But even then if I can still use it with sensors it is the valve control anyway so no big loss.

Well, now I'm thinking through this and the programming so I will post again:

Irrigation is an issue. If you are in away mode, it only gives 30 seconds uninterrupted flow. I'm guessing either most irrigation systems don't use "uninterruped" flow, or it will trigger the alert, shutting off the water. So it could potentially short-cirtcuit irrigation.

BUT, with C4, is this right?

Your relays are wired so Flo Logic goes away mode whenever you turn on the alarm system. So that triggers the 30 second uninterrupted flow logic. BUT when the irrigation system turns on, C4 automatically either switches Flo Logic to "home" mode or turns off its logic completely.

Just one specific example but I would think the possibilities are endless to make this much smarter than it is without C4. Just like I wish I could do with my Recirc pump/on-demand water system that has a multifunction timer that I cannot control with C4. So I have to deal with garbage like only one schedule for all 7 days of the week, no easy manual override (trigger automatically if somebody uses the shower outside of recirc pump hours), etc.

This is key. I was thinking about all the scenarios where this would not replace a water sensor network and if this device works as the valve for either its' logic or the sensor inputs then it is a no-brainer I think.

What about the option to completely turn off its built in logic and only go off of sensor input? I'm just afraid something will cause an issue it doesn't understand' date=' like irrigation, on-demand water heating/recirc pump, etc, so I don't trust it to be smart enough to deal with my house. But even then if I can still use it with sensors it is the valve control anyway so no big loss.[/quote']

I have whole house filtration and softening - my irrigation comes BEFORE the flo logic because it is at the filtration for the house that flo logic occurs - so an irrigation leak in MY situation PROBABLY would not trigger it - you can set how big the leak has to be before it triggers - and you can acutually program it to ignore a leak (put up with a small amount of water constantly going by the sensor.

You can set it to a very large amount of time as well.

So - you COULD set it REALLY high and then use only the remote sensors to turn it off I suppose - HOWEVER - EVERY SINGLE time I have said "Stupid flo - logic - you are coming out" (and I have said that several times) I have found a toilet that is running constantly or had a slab leak. This is REALLY cool -

I had my contractor here once and it was gong off - we all looked and everyone swore that there was no leak.

Then a guy working on the sidewalk on the lower level said - "well except the hose that is dripping - but that would not cause it to go off" and sure enough it WAS that hose causing the problem. They were impressed.

Bill

Irrigation is an issue. If you are in away mode, it only gives 30 seconds uninterrupted flow. I'm guessing either most irrigation systems don't use "uninterruped" flow, or it will trigger the alert, shutting off the water. So it could potentially short-cirtcuit irrigation.

So if you irrigate every day slightly it would never go into vacation mode automatically and you would not set it to go into vacation mode manually.

Your relays are wired so Flo Logic goes away mode whenever you turn on the alarm system.

Because I force it to - yes.

Just one specific example but I would think the possibilities are endless to make this much smarter than it is without C4.

Be aware that once triggered you CANNOT untrigger it remotely - you MUST push buttons on the unit to turn it back on.

Just like I wish I could do with my Recirc pump/on-demand water system that has a multifunction timer that I cannot control with C4.

Unless there is FLOW it will not trigger - a recirc pump will not trigger incoming flow to the house unless water is on - so a recirc pump will NOT trigger this.

Well, now I'm thinking through this and the programming so I will post again:

Your relays are wired so Flo Logic goes away mode whenever you turn on the alarm system. So that triggers the 30 second uninterrupted flow logic. BUT when the irrigation system turns on, C4 automatically either switches Flo Logic to "home" mode or turns off its logic completely.

Just one specific example but I would think the possibilities are endless to make this much smarter than it is without C4. Just like I wish I could do with my Recirc pump/on-demand water system that has a multifunction timer that I cannot control with C4. So I have to deal with garbage like only one schedule for all 7 days of the week, no easy manual override (trigger automatically if somebody uses the shower outside of recirc pump hours), etc.

Your irrigation should branch off BEFORE the water comes in to your home. Your irrigation water shouldn't flow through this at all.

EDIT: TexasBill beat me to it =D

I hope this is ok, if it is not mods please remove. I just found out about this system from TexasBill in the last few days, so I'm just passing this on. I noticed they had an area on their checkout for a discount code, I told them about this thread, and they came through in a big way. They activated a promo code "for Control4 users that will be effective for the remainder of 2012."

The code is C42012. Good for $250 off the FloLogic Automatic Leak Detection System if you purchase through their website at http://www.flologic.com/Purchase-FloLogic-System-Cables-Parts.html

I am still deciding for sure if this is what I want but I have a plumber working right now so I may order it sooner rather than later. I was originally going to use the old Eaton Home Heartbeat system that they so rudely discontinued as I had invested in a ton of sensors but had never bought the flow control piece. This system seems to fill in that niche quite nicely. Not sure how I never found out about it before in numerous searches over the past couple years, but thanks again TexasBill!

As far as irrigation, yes mine is likely hooked up that way (branches off before it would hit the FloLogic). I'll blame either it just being hooked up 3 months ago or plain stupidity concerning irrigation systems for the oversight.

I hope this is ok, if it is not mods please remove. I just found out about this system from TexasBill in the last few days, so I'm just passing this on. I noticed they had an area on their checkout for a discount code, I told them about this thread, and they came through in a big way. They activated a promo code "for Control4 users that will be effective for the remainder of 2012."

The code is C42012. Good for $250 off the FloLogic Automatic Leak Detection System if you purchase through their website at http://www.flologic.com/Purchase-FloLogic-System-Cables-Parts.html

I am still deciding for sure if this is what I want but I have a plumber working right now so I may order it sooner rather than later. I was originally going to use the old Eaton Home Heartbeat system that they so rudely discontinued as I had invested in a ton of sensors but had never bought the flow control piece. This system seems to fill in that niche quite nicely. Not sure how I never found out about it before in numerous searches over the past couple years, but thanks again TexasBill!

As far as irrigation, yes mine is likely hooked up that way (branches off before it would hit the FloLogic). I'll blame either it just being hooked up 3 months ago or plain stupidity concerning irrigation systems for the oversight.

1. you are welcome!

2. grrrrr..... I did not get that $250.00 discount <grin>

No worries - I hope that you are all as happy with it as I am - it is really well made - all brass from what I remember.

Way to go TURLS!

Bill

Ordered one. Code worked. They only ship once a week or so so I will have it next week sometime. Probably will be a while before I get it integrated with C4.

It installs quickly with a plumber. ALL of its functionality is available immediately. C4 only enhances the capabilities.

So that you can all know the worst thing about this equipment is that it works. We had an announcement two weeks after moving in to the house at 3 AM in the morning that the water has been shut off. I checked the entire house and finally manually made the announcement stop. Later in the morning I figured out that the auto fill on the spa has gravel in it and had stuck on.

My wife and I both agreed that we did not want to turn off that announcement like we do others during the night - this will find and stop all leaks - when it "goes off" there is a leak, or running toilet, OR you have run the water for longer than you have it set for.

We have tested our remote sensors, but luckily they have never had an actual water leak.

Bill

It looks very nice, but it is also a little bit costly... I don't know much about these systems, but how about this one?

http://www.watercop.com/default.aspx

Flo Logic was more robust in its capabilities for what I wanted and also more robust in construction.

I actually have "water cop" modules that sent a signal to my house when the detected water and then my house told Flo Logic to shut off in my last house.

Certainly that is another option. Not pushing this one - merely making sure that people know what is out there.

Thanks for posting.

Bill

Ordered one. Code worked. They only ship once a week or so so I will have it next week sometime. Probably will be a while before I get it integrated with C4.

It installs quickly with a plumber. ALL of its functionality is available immediately. C4 only enhances the capabilities.

So that you can all know the worst thing about this equipment is that it works. We had an announcement two weeks after moving in to the house at 3 AM in the morning that the water has been shut off. I checked the entire house and finally manually made the announcement stop. Later in the morning I figured out that the auto fill on the spa has gravel in it and had stuck on.

My wife and I both agreed that we did not want to turn off that announcement like we do others during the night - this will find and stop all leaks - when it "goes off" there is a leak' date=' or running toilet, OR you have run the water for longer than you have it set for.

We have tested our remote sensors, but luckily they have never had an actual water leak.

Bill[/quote']

Texas Bill, do you mind attaching pictures on how you have wired this up to your Control4 System?

Another good valve we use is by KZvalve, http://www.kzvalve.com/products.php, they have contacts to open, close, and status to confirm the valve opened or closed all the way. Price is much cheaper but you need water sensors and have to build your own logic in.

I didn't know about either one of these systems before I did searches here. My brother-in-law was shopping and the water filter on his kitchen sink came off (I don't know more specifics). His house flooded, 1 inch of water in the upstairs so you can imagine the downstairs. This happened a few days after I ordered the FloLogic, which is exactly the type of thing it is designed to stop. I like the idea of not having to put sensors every single place you have a risk. That is a big network of sensors in a large house.

My wife has left the utility sink drain cover on and the water running and walked away in both houses I've owned.

My wife and I both agreed that we did not want to turn off that announcement like we do others during the night - this will find and stop all leaks - when it "goes off" there is a leak' date=' or running toilet, OR you have run the water for longer than you have it set for.

Bill[/quote']

Texas Bill, do you mind attaching pictures on how you have wired this up to your Control4 System?

I would not mind - but it would have to be my dealer - he did that not me <grin>. So I will have to wait till he has to come back?

Bill

• 5 months later...
Well' date=' now I'm thinking through this and the programming so I will post again:

Just one specific example but I would think the possibilities are endless to make this much smarter than it is without C4. Just like I wish I could do with my Recirc pump/on-demand water system that has a multifunction timer that I cannot control with C4. So I have to deal with garbage like only one schedule for all 7 days of the week, no easy manual override (trigger automatically if somebody uses the shower outside of recirc pump hours), etc.[/quote']

Your irrigation should branch off BEFORE the water comes in to your home. Your irrigation water shouldn't flow through this at all.

Actually, I have come to the conclusion I disagree with this. Do you guys really think it is more likely you will have a leak with plumbing in your house or outside your house? I am actually more worried about a leak in the house, because of the damage it will cause, but if I have a leak outside, I could be out a few hundred dollars before I realize it.

The key is to disable the FloLogic detection only during irrigation times. Thats only a few hours a week at most during watering season you open yourself up to damage inside and I'm willing to take that chance...

The issue is getting the actual programming done. Everything is there on the FloLogic to support this.

What I don't get is why I can't monitor water usage with the FloLogic, I bet the information is available in the outputs to do that as well.

Anyway, I ended up having my plumber install the valve to break off the sprinkler before the FloLogic, but I never had him actually move it yet. So I may still end up doing it that way depending how long my patience is with my dealer getting this integration done (which he hasn't even integrated it yet with the alarm system, so not holding my breath).

Well' date=' now I'm thinking through this and the programming so I will post again:

Just one specific example but I would think the possibilities are endless to make this much smarter than it is without C4. Just like I wish I could do with my Recirc pump/on-demand water system that has a multifunction timer that I cannot control with C4. So I have to deal with garbage like only one schedule for all 7 days of the week, no easy manual override (trigger automatically if somebody uses the shower outside of recirc pump hours), etc.[/quote']

Actually, I have come to the conclusion I disagree with this. Do you guys really think it is more likely you will have a leak with plumbing in your house or outside your house? I am actually more worried about a leak in the house, because of the damage it will cause, but if I have a leak outside, I could be out a few hundred dollars before I realize it.

The key is to disable the FloLogic detection only during irrigation times. Thats only a few hours a week at most during watering season you open yourself up to damage inside and I'm willing to take that chance...

The issue is getting the actual programming done. Everything is there on the FloLogic to support this.

What I don't get is why I can't monitor water usage with the FloLogic, I bet the information is available in the outputs to do that as well.

Anyway, I ended up having my plumber install the valve to break off the sprinkler before the FloLogic, but I never had him actually move it yet. So I may still end up doing it that way depending how long my patience is with my dealer getting this integration done (which he hasn't even integrated it yet with the alarm system, so not holding my breath).

If you figure out how to get actual water flow information from the Flo Logic - please let me know?

It is easy to make Flo Logic disable when water is flowing - I did that for my water softener - I will bet that you could say when I make these two terminals hot disable the alarm as well, but I have not done this so I don't know.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I had a temporary location for the battery while testing and my wife moved it and disconnected one terminal of the battery. Now the thing is dead, keeps saying the battery is dead or whatever that message is. I guess I will be contacting support, but not happy with the robustness of the system if that threw it for a loop. I need to check voltage but I'm sure the battery is not still dead unless it was defective.

Archived