C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Matrix Switch

C4CPA

I havent seen anyone on this forum discuss an HDMI Matrix switch that uses all HDMI cables. Are these type of switches just used in commierical jobs not residential? Are these switches more expensive that using HDMI over IP like the Just Add Power product?

I have been looking at the Atlona 8x8: Atlona 8x8:2 HDMI Matrix Switch with CAT5/6 and Local HDMI Outputs. Model: AT-PROHD88M-SR.

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-8x8-2-PRO-HDMI-Matrix-Switch-with-CAT5-6-and-Local-HDMI-Outputs-p-17822.html

It already has C4 drivers and can use either HDMI cables or Cat5 baluns. It appears to be the best HDMI switch technically but I am unsure of real world performance. They have an upcoming 16x16 version to be released 1st week of March.

If anyone has any real world experience with this model feedback would be appreciated.

Hey Dan, let's see your test results! Are you having issues or just haven't gotten around to it?

Haven't done a ton quite yet, but I have done a little and it works great. I'm trying to find time to do a full and proper review...I want to try and accurately document switching times, but I have been so stinking busy...I promise I will do it though...

As a dealer installing matrix switches, I would rather troubleshoot a couple of Cat5 cables and their respective HDMI baluns, rather than troubleshoot a 75-100 foot (or more) HDMI cable with a signal repeater/corrector near the display. If there is any signal problem on the connection, it is easier to troubleshoot and replace Cat5 cables or HDMI baluns than to troubleshoot one massively-long HDMI cable with a signal repeater/corrector at the end.

Wyrestorm and Atlona are reliable solutions for just HDMI at 8x8 size. We would recommend Video Storm (high quality but better value than others), but they only go 4x4 switch size.

-Brian

Brian Garrison

Garrison Home Theater, Inc.

http://www.garrisonht.com/

I've never been much of a fan of off-brands but there are a lot of hdmi 1.3 matrix switchers out there for a bargin. For example:

http://www.cmicable.com/en/products-17.shtml

Who knows? Any comments?

do these look exactly like the Monoprice units? or is it just me? how do they handle the handshaking issues?

if these work they could be a great deal and my next present to myself.

As a dealer installing matrix switches, I would rather troubleshoot a couple of Cat5 cables and their respective HDMI baluns, rather than troubleshoot a 75-100 foot (or more) HDMI cable with a signal repeater/corrector near the display. If there is any signal problem on the connection, it is easier to troubleshoot and replace Cat5 cables or HDMI baluns than to troubleshoot one massively-long HDMI cable with a signal repeater/corrector at the end.

Wyrestorm and Atlona are reliable solutions for just HDMI at 8x8 size. We would recommend Video Storm (high quality but better value than others), but they only go 4x4 switch size.

-Brian

Brian Garrison

Garrison Home Theater, Inc.

http://www.garrisonht.com/

Brian I have been looking at the Atlona 8x8 and upcoming 16x16 to be released next month. DO you have any field experience with the 8x8 Atlona? If so, could you give a quick review (switching time, HDCP handshake issues, HD sound, any issues etc)

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody's used the Atlona AT-HD88M-SR, I'd really be interested in how that worked. I know of one

successful install that used an Aurora Multimedia ASP-88 and it certainly seems like it is the same as the

AT-HD88M-SR but without the CAT5 out's (and the AM is more expensive). There is a CE Labs unit that

seems the same as these two also.

Now that there is talk of component HD out's going away, this HDMI matrix switching should be more

important.

Also, with the current HDMI switches, are there really any options if something doesn't work? Looking

at the manuals, there really aren't any "adjustments" to be done and I don't think there are any

HDMI adjustments on TV's, so would it be just a matter of getting a new source or display if one isn't

working right? Or is there a way to play around with things to make it work?

Is working with a matrix switcher that has CAT5 out's and receivers easier than working with one that

has HDMI out's and would have to have long HDMI cables? Brian, that seems to be what your saying.

Also, you mention Wyrestorm and Atlona as being reliable solutions and a couple of their products seem

to be the same. Does that happen a lot with these switches? The hardware (and even the manuals)

seem to be the same, but are they really? Are there important difference that would make one work

and not another.

Thanks for the help.

I am a Lenexpo dealer (who is the parent company of Atlona and how I buy Atlona gear). I'm going to get the 8x8 pro Matrix HDMI switch from them soon (the one you referenced above). I'm also going to pick up their componet video to HDMI converter (the AT-COMP-HDMI). This, in theory, should allow everything to be over HDMI including the Control4 GUI. I'll post a review here when its set up and when I can. I talk to one of their reps occassionally and haven't even heard anything about the 16 x 16 so you got some good scoop there I guess.

One thing I have discussed with the product manager for the 8x8 pro is the direction of the IR. Their IR goes from the remote unit to the rack. It cannot be configured to send the IR from the rack to the remote location (for instance to control the TV) with Control4. That being said, if you know you will not be sending IR codes from the remote locations (I doubt a Control4 setup would) he said that the 8x8 pro could be custom configured to operate on 1 Cat6 (Cat6a) run only instead of 2. He said it wouldn't have any IR capabilities but because it only goes in the direction it does, the IR is fairly useless. You could use the 8 IR outputs on the matrix itself to control other items in the rack with the RS-232 so it is somewhat like an IR extender adding 8 IR emitter ports to your rack. I asked if the 8X8 chipset could be modified or changed in the future to allow bi-directional IR over the Cat6a run or just change the direction so that you could control the TV at the remote location and he said it could not currently and there were no plans in the future to change the chipset to be able to do that. Accordingly, you'll need to make your own IR run or have a 200 at each remote location. I may order this "Control4" version of the 8x8 configured to run on 1 line only, I haven't decided yet. The run I'm doing this in will be Cat6a so saving 7 long runs of Cat6a has some appeal. Any thoughts on why I may not want to do this and keep the IR from the remote location to the rack?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any more experiences with 8x8 HDMI matrix switches?

CE Labs HSW88C?

Atlona AT-HD88M-SR?

I think they are the same, but not sure.

I'm think I'm going to need one soon and I'm just wondering if there

is any real world experiences.

• 1 month later...

Spoonman, I never did a proper although I did try a couple. The Monoprice works great, as does the Shinybow.

I'm not making a decision on mine until I try the unit from Zektor as well as the new JAP.

I still hope to do a full blown review one day, I'm just time starved.

• 1 month later...

My friends have been using a CE LABS HSW88C (a clone of the Atlona AT-HD88M - even uses the same

C4 IR driver) and it seems to work pretty good. All the TV's were new (Panasonics and a Mitsubishi DLP)

so I'm sure that helps out a bit. So far the main two sources are DirecTV HD-DVR's but there are a Netgear

EVA 9150 and Dune HD 3.0 in the system too.

Switching between them all seems pretty quick (1-2 seconds). The HDMI is used only for video except for

one output going into a Denon receiver for the theater. That output was a bit of a problem but an adjustment

to the signal level on the receiver fixed it right up.

Haven't really pushed it with 1080p yet as the DVR's are set for 1080i. Same with the audio as it's stereo

from the source to an audio matrix switch for distribution. When the theater is fully ready there will be DD from

the HD-DVR's and, hopefully, DT-HD or DTS-HDMA from the Dune (along with 1080p). That is going to be

the real test.

Otherwise I think they're pretty happy with it instead of going with component distribution.

atlona 16 x 16 is ve3ry slick.

here are a couple of comments on it.

do not use wyrestorm component to hdmi converters to upconvert devices. the picture jumps around! use monoprice's converters they work great.

uverse boxes hdmi into these switches is horrible!

400 disc bluray and roku boxes look AWESOME with this switch!

Archived