C4 Forums | Control4

Plex releases Kodi plugin

msgreenf

Now we're talking! Kodi is awesome, but its Plex support has always been shaky at best. The Plex Media Player app itself is basically awful, and I have been begrudging switching to it. Instead, I've been using OpenPHT, which is limited in use. Now I can have the best of both worlds. Maybe its time to purchase an NVIDIA shield....

3 hours ago, malelan said:

How does this differ from the unofficial plexbmc that has been floating around for awhile

My guess is that one major way it differs is that it actually works reliably :)

There is also the other plex plugin that works relatively reliably for Kodi--PlexKodiConnect. I like that Plugin, but it relies on polling plex for updates, which while not terrible, results in a slightly sub-optimum experience. The one thing that PlexKodiConnect brings to the table though is that it integrates Plex into the native Kodi library system so you can use more fancy Skins, etc. that rely on the native Kodi library system. 

My guess is that one major way it differs is that it actually works reliably

There is also the other plex plugin that works relatively reliably for Kodi--PlexKodiConnect. I like that Plugin, but it relies on polling plex for updates, which while not terrible, results in a slightly sub-optimum experience. The one thing that PlexKodiConnect brings to the table though is that it integrates Plex into the native Kodi library system so you can use more fancy Skins, etc. that rely on the native Kodi library system. 

And let's you use the c4 kodi full driver

1 hour ago, malelan said:

And let's you use the c4 kodi full driver

This is a very good point, and something I would love Alan to weigh in on. As I understood it, Plex hasn't implemented their remote api yet, which leads me to believe that you can't use Alan's Plex driver quite yet with this new plugin. I'm betting once its implemented though, then you could just use Alan's Plex driver. 

5 hours ago, Hisma said:

I personally prefer emby as an alternative to plex, and an emby xbmc plugin has been around for years now.  

xbmc front-end + emby back-end is a fantastic combo

I agree... I've tried both plex and emby for a backend and emby has worked out much better for me.  

With all due respect, Alan Chow offers a Kodi and Plex driver for C4.  Nothing for Emby and no plans to.  What's so earthshatteringly better about Emby in a C4 environment to use it over Plex?

The kodi driver would work with emby. Emby is a backend for kodi.

13 minutes ago, malelan said:

The kodi driver would work with emby. Emby is a backend for kodi.

Ok, I guess I need to research a little more.  I don't understand all the overlap between these tools.  Only thing I think I've figured out is Kodi is more for streaming and Plex more for local content and transcoding.

Ok, I guess I need to research a little more.  I don't understand all the overlap between these tools.  Only thing I think I've figured out is Kodi is more for streaming and Plex more for local content and transcoding.

I'm not even sure I'd agree with that statement. But everyone has their own opinion

For me. The best I could describe my feelings in the products is

Kodi is a standalone application. That works really well. But is missing some key library management features when using multiple devices. Like mobile sync. Mobile viewing. Multiple kodi boxes in a single location. Etc.

Plex is a library management tool that has great compatibility with mobile sync. Mobile devices etc. But I'm not a huge fan of the front ends. I much prefer the kodi frontend to the plex home theatre

Emby is similar to plex in its library features a d mobile features. But it integrates seamlessly with kodi. So you can leverage all the kodi frontend features.

I get the purpose of c4 integration with a front-end like kodi, as you could integrate notifications etc. But what purpose would you get from integrating c4 with a media backend? In my eyes, kodi is a far superior front-end to either emby or plex. So from that standpoint, it's just a matter of what backend you prefer to use with kodi, and I personally prefer Emby, since it's free, open source, and has been officially supported by kodi for several years now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'm just starting to integrate my media w/ C4.  Music is with the native C4 interface currently (which actually works ok).  I already have Plex setup on a server (with it's media browsing capabilities- for pix and videos- having been woefully underutilized up to now).  I'm debating whether or not to use Kodi or Plex driver for C4.  Based on the discussion so far, I take it that Emby can be installed on my server (as the backend library management tool), and then Alan's Kodi driver can work with that?  Or Kodi driver only works w/ Kodi installed on another client (i.e., FireTV) somewhere?

Archived