C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa controlling door locks

blackfiveo1

So I would like to have alexa to control my door locks on/off, obviously there are security concerns of someone shouting through the door and opening it. So I was thinking, if i could program to verify my cell phone is present on the network (via mac address?) as a condition to performing, unlock. Is this a pipe dream? Anyone else have some ideas from a security perspective on how to handle this so alexa is only unlocking my door when I am home

edit: I have native and epic alexa in my project

If I just wanted to be able to lock the door via Alexa, how do I use variables?  Could I also use it to check if the door was locked by asking "Alexa, is the front door locked"?  That would be the ultimate goal.

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

I am not aware of a way to ask Alexa a question about the status of a device.

What about asking Alexa a question which could kick off a response from Polly.  The response wouldn't come on your Alexa devices but over C4 audio.

It should be possible to write an Alexa Skill where you say something like "Alexa, ask Control4 for the status of {device name}"  The only problem is that you need to know the device names fairly accurately.  Maybe an opportunity for @chopedogg88 to enhance his driver?

So I have the Epic driver and the IFTTT driver.  I wanted to be able to lock the door without having to say "Alexa, set the front door to lock" or "turn on" or "trigger".  Is there a more natural way to accomplish this using 1 of these?

35 minutes ago, SY3 said:

So I have the Epic driver and the IFTTT driver.  I wanted to be able to lock the door without having to say "Alexa, set the front door to lock" or "turn on" or "trigger".  Is there a more natural way to accomplish this using 1 of these?

This is where i was, I wanted to make it sound more natural. Than "Alex turn the front door lock on"  I was able to get "Alexa disarm front door lock" but couldnt get "Alexa arm front door lock" with the EPIC driver

55 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

"Alexa, trigger lock the front door" with IFTTT?

I can do that with the Epic driver.  Just doesn't sound natural.  Just seeing if anyone has had luck getting this to work.  I understand its a limitation of how Alexa integrates into Control4.  

Google home/google assistant IFTTT- "ok Google, lock the front door"
Plus 2 backup optional statements. Just saying . Try it with your phone since you already have the driver

Don’t I have to have the Google home to get that to work? I have the Epic Alexa driver and the IFTTT driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived