C4 Forums | Control4

Current best practice for garage doors?

What you're looking to do is pretty basic so no worry there.

You say you have wires from the side of the door to the opener locations?

No wires from the MOTORS anywhere?

If the answer is no, it would be best to just go with the standard garage door kits from C4, or alternatively use MyQ and 3rd party drivers.

On 3/6/2018 at 7:08 PM, ecschnei said:

Who has a how-to on hacking the remote into the relay ports?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have mine working perfectly...I even use my google voice on my phone so I don't even need a remote in my truck or open an app on my phone.  I just give it a voice command and presto the garage door opens, the door unlocks,  and the light comes on.  It also works in reverse when I'm going to work.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:38 PM, Cyknight said:

What you're looking to do is pretty basic so no worry there.

You say you have wires from the side of the door to the opener locations?

No wires from the MOTORS anywhere?

If the answer is no, it would be best to just go with the standard garage door kits from C4, or alternatively use MyQ and 3rd party drivers.

Thank you for your response.

I have a single pair of wires on both sides of both doors, but those wires are currently used for the safety sensors.  Is there a way to keep the safety sensor functionality and also use the wires for something else?  I'm curious what the standard garage door kits include, what wiring they need, etc.  Any additional detail is appreciated.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:11 PM, ecschnei said:

I have mine working perfectly...I even use my google voice on my phone so I don't even need a remote in my truck or open an app on my phone.  I just give it a voice command and presto the garage door opens, the door unlocks,  and the light comes on.  It also works in reverse when I'm going to work.

This sounds awesome!  I'm not familiar with all of the available hardware options, so please bear with me.

What hardware do you have for your garage doors?  Are you using Control4 in addition to Google Assistant, or did you bypass Control4?  I have access to Composer Pro through a friend that is a dealer but I don't like to bug them with questions because they don't bill me for their time.  If you're using Control4 in addition to Google Assistant, what driver are you using?  I'll take as much info as you'll provide.

I'd love to get some hardware ordered as soon as possible once I know what direction I want to go.  Thank you for your help!

This sounds awesome!  I'm not familiar with all of the available hardware options, so please bear with me.
What hardware do you have for your garage doors?  Are you using Control4 in addition to Google Assistant, or did you bypass Control4?  I have access to Composer Pro through a friend that is a dealer but I don't like to bug them with questions because they don't bill me for their time.  If you're using Control4 in addition to Google Assistant, what driver are you using?  I'll take as much info as you'll provide.
I'd love to get some hardware ordered as soon as possible once I know what direction I want to go.  Thank you for your help!
I'm not able to recall the part but I had to get an extra wired door button put in line due to the security 2+ that my garage doors have. Then soldered my relay from the ea-5 to each. This gives a hardwired connection to each door for control. I use the nyce garage tilt sensor for position. I had my dealer program them in so i can't help there. The chowmain ifttt driver is how my Google voice sends commands to my c4 system. Once again i made the ifttt recipes and had my dealer add the programming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get too excited for me, but after digging into my garage some more, I think I have some options available to me.  My current wiring scenario is as follows:

• Opener location (two-gang box) - separate locations for each opener (2-car and 1-car)
    • Single-pair to motor
    • Two-pair to other opener location
    • Cat 5e to rack
  • Garage doors
    • Two-pair from each side of the doors to the motor (one pair is being used by the safety sensors)

I am able to run new cable/wire from each opener to my rack, but there isn't any hope to run new wire to the sides of the doors without it getting messy and expensive.

If I'm thinking about this correctly, I could install one magnetic sensor for each door and wire it to the remaining spare pair on one of the sides which will get me to the motor.  From there, I believe my only option is to run a Cat 5e or 6 from one motor to the other and then back to my rack, ultimately using all four pairs (two motors, two sensors).  Does this sound right?

I wish that I could somehow use the existing Cat 5e sitting at each opener location, but I don't think I can.  Any ideas?

Last but not least, can anyone walk me through the programming on this?  I have access to Composer Pro through a friend that's a dealer, but I don't like to lean on them if at all possible.  I have the two green adapters for my HC-800 sitting at home, but I don't have a clue how they work, or even how to wire them.  Any help is appreciated...and I'm excited!

• 1 year later...

On one of my garage doors with an older (non-security code) style door I just used a zwave relay to actuate the door operator circuit and a zwave tilt sensor for the position. Then in HA i set up an automation that as soon as the door is open for 30 minutes it sends a pushbullet notification.

For my newer door that has a rolling code style remote for security a simple relay won’t work. In ended up buying a spare remote control and the used the relay soldered across the pushbutton of the remote to simulate someone pushing the button. It works great. and cheaper than opengarage even if you build your own from parts because you still need to buy a security module to make it work.

and for the position on that door I used a nodemcu with a radar HC-SR04 module to measure the distance to the door to indicate up or down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.