C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Music lands on amazon echo on Dec 17

ee999

Does this finally mean i’ll Have Apple Music somewhat integrated with Control4. For instance if I have an echo in my rack connected to my C4 matrix and one in my kitchen, will I be able to ask the kitchen echo to play “xyz” on the rack echo on the kitchen speakers?

Excellent. Finally!  

This looks like it might be worth a look as well since I find the sound quality from the echo dot’s analogue output is somewhat lacking.

The Echo Link -- while not an amplifier -- is made to connect to an existing high-end stereo system via the amplifier or power speakers and deliver quality audio. It'll ship later this year for $199. This option lets you keep your glowing tubes or 1970's solid state amp while still being able to jam to the library of music available to Amazon Prime members ..... (& soon Apple Music). There is also an Echo Link Amp for $299. These both have both Digital Coax and Toslink outputs.

The Echo Link seems kind of expensive for what it does.  I wonder if it will be significantly higher quality than using an Echo Dot.  Will it have better quality D-A converters if you are using the analog output?  And what bitrate is it capable of receiving from the music services that you use? 

It would also be great if it had multiple outputs.  It seems to have analog (RCA), spdif and coax outputs, but I am guessing that they all will output the only one music stream.  I assume this means that if you want to play different music to different zones of your house then you will need multiple Echo Links.

46 minutes ago, zaphod said:

The Echo Link seems kind of expensive for what it does.  I wonder if it will be significantly higher quality than using an Echo Dot.  Will it have better quality D-A converters if you are using the analog output?  And what bitrate is it capable of receiving from the music services that you use? 

It would also be great if it had multiple outputs.  It seems to have analog (RCA), spdif and coax outputs, but I am guessing that they all will output the only one music stream.  I assume this means that if you want to play different music to different zones of your house then you will need multiple Echo Links.

Well, you can always have many shairbridges and play music to multiple zones, this is what I currently do and missing much with the new announcement ...

Yes, and if your phone leaves your LAN then the music drops, assuming that you are initiating the playback from your phone.  When I am using Shairbridge I find that the music can on and off when I move around the house and my phone goes from one WAP to another.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Yes, and if your phone leaves your LAN then the music drops, assuming that you are initiating the playback from your phone.  When I am using Shairbridge I find that the music can on and off when I move around the house and my phone goes from one WAP to another.

I remember you mentioning using ubiquiti for you network?  I'm not sure what the their recommended RSSI values are at midpoint between ubiquiti waps but Pakedge recommends adjusting the transmission power in order to achieve -70dB at midpoint order to get a smooth hand-off for most scenarios with their waps.  Not sure if that could be the issue you're having with airplay.

Well, I have All Ubiquiti around the house, never had an issue at all moving around nor any issue with AirPlay ... A shitty Wireless network is the issue here, spent some time around tweaking it to get it working ...

19 minutes ago, Amr said:

Well, I have All Ubiquiti around the house, never had an issue at all moving around nor any issue with AirPlay ... A shitty Wireless network is the issue here, spent some time around tweaking it to get it working ...

but i think the thing you fail to understand is that Google Cast and Spotify Connect work strategically different, and better then Airplay.  They will always be more reliable.  100%.

43 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

but i think the thing you fail to understand is that Google Cast and Spotify Connect work strategically different, and better then Airplay.  They will always be more reliable.  100%.

I've also used HUGE bandwidth because of the way they work.  It's amazing how much bandwidth gets used when your chromecast continues to stream music after you've left and didn't stop the stream. 

6 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Am not taking sides or defending any technology here, am telling everyone that I have a perfectly stable Music streaming from Apple devices in my home for 2 years  now ...

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

Any idea how the echo link works in a multi room setup.   How would I setup Alexa to play in a multi room environment with my c4 amp and matrix switch.  How would I program Alexa to recognize a room by room name using the echo link?

You wouldn't. You would create unique scenes for each room in control4 and you would have them all turn on the link input

Archived