C4 Forums | Control4

16x16 HDMI Switch - end of me and C4?

So,

My friend just moved and during the transition he went from C4 to Crestron. The house he bought only has 1 Cat5 pulled to each TV. Crestron (new to me, but I am sure you all know this) can run video, IR, etc. on 1 Cat5 through their "Switch" (don't know the real name, but it uses cards that can be added as your system grows).

I currently have a 16x16 component switch that works fine. To me, the future will most likely kill component and have all HDMI until something new comes along.

Is C4 working on something like this? Looking at HDMI switches they are $10k and up?? (and I don't even know what brands work well with C4)

I think I will get in trouble when I upgrade cable boxes, video players, etc. in the near future.

Am I worrying for nothing?

PS - it is OK to call me ignorant on this topic (because I am, and I have thick skin) :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So,

My friend just moved and during the transition he went from C4 to Crestron. The house he bought only has 1 Cat5 pulled to each TV. Crestron (new to me, but I am sure you all know this) can run video, IR, etc. on 1 Cat5 through their "Switch" (don't know the real name, but it uses cards that can be added as your system grows).

I currently have a 16x16 component switch that works fine. To me, the future will most likely kill component and have all HDMI until something new comes along.

Is C4 working on something like this? Looking at HDMI switches they are $10k and up?? (and I don't even know what brands work well with C4)

I think I will get in trouble when I upgrade cable boxes, video players, etc. in the near future.

Am I worrying for nothing?

PS - it is OK to call me ignorant on this topic (because I am, and I have thick skin) :)

Don't ask your friend what he paid for that Crestron Digital Media System...you might just have a heart attack!

As DiamondDesign mentioned there are 16x16 HDMI options. They aren't cheap, but they're cheaper than that Crestron system.

That Crestron DM system is EXTREMELY cool though!

It is very cool, he actually sold his existing system to the person who bought his home. So he had to start over. The programming side is amazing both good and bad. You can do anything with it, but he has been working to get all his bugs removed for weeks. I am sure in the end, it will be pretty sweet.

Can either of you tell me the brand of the switch 16x16 HDMI that is approved by C4?

Crestron's program to buy old equipment for the upgrade is cool too? (Of course, it only puts a dent in the overall price)

http://www.bzbexpress.com/Atlona-HDBaseT-16x16-HDMI-Matrix-Switcher-over-CAT5e-6-7-AT-PRO2HD1616M.html

Note...this doesn't include the receivers.

This is all done over HDBaseT which is VERY cool.

Free Shipping!!!!!!!!!!!

I know. I was all set to buy it, but I noticed that's only ground service. They want another $35 for 3-day so I said screw it.

As I read it, the Atlona also allows IR control, I am assuming this is over the same Cat5 that is used for the HDMI? If this is the case, I have lost a little faith in my dealer because they sold my friend on C4 doesn't have a solution to run HDMI and IR on 1 cable?

Thanks for the information - and LOL on the entire MSRP/Zektor thread that I pulled up on google. Always makes me laugh when a company won't list MSRP.

They kind of lost all credibility after that fiasco' date=' in my eyes.[/quote']

They are C4's official switch partner, what else did you expect!? :lol:

Thanks for the information - and LOL on the entire MSRP/Zektor thread that I pulled up on google. Always makes me laugh when a company won't list MSRP.

They kind of lost all credibility after that fiasco' date=' in my eyes.[/quote']

They are C4's official switch partner, what else did you expect!? :lol:

Well I'm ok with them protecting there integrators, just not ok with no MSRP. It's a license to rip off the general public. No one is stopping them from selling at full msrp.

Crestron's program to buy old equipment for the upgrade is cool too? (Of course, it only puts a dent in the overall price)

Crestron's upgrade program allows you to turn in any manuf. equipment and get credit that can be up to 50% off MRSRP.

Crestron DM system allows you to send the following to each display over a single cable.

1) Uncompressed HDMI 1.4 video with support for 3D & Deep Color

2) Uncompressed Multi-channel Audio (Dolby® TrueHD 7.1, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1, Dolby Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby Digital EX 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio™ 7.1, DTS-HD High Res 7.1, DTS 5.1, DTS-ES Matrix 5.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS 96/24 5.1, up to 8ch PCM)

3) Ethernet (10/100)

4) RS-232 (1 Port)

5) IR (2 Ports)

6) USB HID (1 Port)

7) Relay (2 Ports)

8) Digital/Contact

9) Ability to embed CEC commands directly within the HDMI Channel and send to any display

10) IP Phone System - Not only that I am able to run 1-9 above, but also our entire phone system over the same fiber cable that the DM system uses.

As I read it, the Atlona also allows IR control, I am assuming this is over the same Cat5 that is used for the HDMI? If this is the case, I have lost a little faith in my dealer because they sold my friend on C4 doesn't have a solution to run HDMI and IR on 1 cable?

Yeah, this uses HDBaseT, which is a very cool technology. I'm sure the dealer didn't deliberately deceive your friend...this is fairly new and just starting to be adopted. Google HDBaseT. It passes all sorts of stuff over a single CAT cable, just like the Crestron system.

I still haven't made the HDMI jump, but am building a new house and will likely not bring my old component distribution with me.

Also if you need one let me know, I got a misquote from Atlona on one and they are going to honor it one time only (if I can ever sell one). At $20,000 MSRP with receivers I'm not sure why its so tough! :)

SNAP'S 8x8 wont be until April so I assume any 16x16 would be Cedia or later.

which item would you like to know MSRP on? I have a complete price list in front of me on all available product.

which item would you like to know MSRP on? I have a complete price list in front of me on all available product.

How about the whole lot? I've dismissed Zektor from my lost of considerations as a result if their "hidden pricing". I need an 8:8. Preferably with output over cat cable.

its about as "hidden" as C4, crestron and many other companies.

anyway there is the price info for the zektor 8x8 HDMI matrix switch (sorry the cat5 out version has not been released yet). They have 2 versions. the basic version is the Clarity HD and has an MSRP of $5388 and the Clarity HD Elite (4U, audio breakaway and many more features) is $7848.00

its about as "hidden" as C4, crestron and many other companies.

anyway there is the price info for the zektor 8x8 HDMI matrix switch (sorry the cat5 out version has not been released yet). They have 2 versions. the basic version is the Clarity HD and has an MSRP of $5388 and the Clarity HD Elite (4U, audio breakaway and many more features) is $7848.00

Not really but if you say so, you must have missed that entire thread about Zektor and MSRP.

its about as "hidden" as C4' date=' crestron and many other companies.

anyway there is the price info for the zektor 8x8 HDMI matrix switch (sorry the cat5 out version has not been released yet). They have 2 versions. the basic version is the Clarity HD and has an MSRP of $5388 and the Clarity HD Elite (4U, audio breakaway and many more features) is $7848.00[/quote']

Not really but if you say so, you must have missed that entire thread about Zektor and MSRP.

Exactly.

It isn't hard to find the MSRP of any product from Control4, Crestron, etc...except for Zektor.

I challenge you to try and find it outside of a confidential document with limited distribution.

Archived