C4 Forums | Control4

Advice on HDMI Switching

Dan' date=' what about the atlona 8x8?[/quote']

That is definitely something i would consider as well. They have one that is actually LESS expensive than the Hydraconnect and has HDBaseT outputs directly from the switch! That seems incredibly convenient. I would love to get some input on that.

1949live, do you plan on releasing a version of your product that does not have the built in stereo switch as well? I personally do not need that. Just curious if that is in the works.

You still need a receiver with the hdbaset matrix by atlona, and to the best of my knowledge that's not included.

You're right chesterwilson...and the receivers are $250 each MSRP.

I wish this (http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-8x8-2-PRO-HDMI-Matrix-Switch-with-CAT5-6-and-Local-HDMI-Outputs-with-3D-Support-AT-PROHD88M.html) was 5 inputs and 8 outputs.

Even then though, if the SnapAV unit works as advertised that seems like a great option. It can output over twisted pair OR local HDMI. That Hydraconnect unit is nice, I'm just trying to figure out what the premium over the Snap A/V unit should be. I can get a great price on the Snap A/V unit. How many times MORE VALUABLE is the Hydraconnect? That's the tough question to answer without being able to try out the Snap A/V unit.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello to all. I am another long time reader and first time poster. I am in a similar boat, finishing up construction (around 2 1/2 years now ugghh) on a new home with control 4 install. I also need hdmi distribution and have been trying to go over all the options. I also nave no need for an 8x8 audio matrix as I have over 16 zones of audio. I am wired for 14 displays but not planning on installing them all. I have also run flexible conduit to each to try to future proof it as much as possible. I am going to go with an 8x8 hdmi matrix but one that has mirrored outputs such as the SnapAV unit would be a big plus as it would allow me to add on more displays on the matrix. I could just pick zones that will be forced to use the same source ie master bath and laundry room. I will have three AVRs in the setup with surround and will have dedicated room speakers on for each tv with no plans for using tv sound outputs.

Has anyone tried the SnapAV matrix with using some mirrored outputs (both hdmi and cat5 recievers) to get more than 8 displays?

I have heard/read that the old model Atlona units did do this. (I should have bough one of those a year ago when they included the recievers on the 8x8:2 pro unit. I had seen it online for around 5K but was sure all of this would drop in price.) My local dealer carries the Wyrestorm which I think is a identical unit.

The other much cheaper solution I am considering is the CE labs HSW888C Plus switch http://www.celabs.net/specsheets/HSW88C-PLUS.pdf ($3800 on amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/CE-HSW88C-Cat-6-Matrix-Switcher/dp/B002K8VY8M). It comes with all the recievers but no mirrored outputs. This looks like it also only has one way IR (the wrong way for this type of system as it seems to be meant to pass IR from the room back to the rack.) I don't mind pulling a other cat5/6 through my conduits to handle IR so to me it is not a deal breaker. I have read this unit is working from at least one poster in this forum. Anyone else tried it?

Anyone tried the Geffen 8x8 Crosspoint Matrix http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=9841 ? This is available online for $2500??? I might even consider just trying this for a couple of years until more options arise?

I read some other info on HDCP, EDID and CEC. CEC control sounds nice and would probably work for me except for the one display I have now and know I will be using which is a 60" Pioneer plasma. As far as the image dropout with switching or adding displays to a source, that will be annoying especially if it is prolonged. Which units actually strip and discard the HDCP content to allow switching?

I have heard/read that the old model Atlona units did do this. (I should have bough one of those a year ago when they included the recievers on the 8x8:2 pro unit. I had seen it online for around 5K but was sure all of this would drop in price.) My local dealer carries the Wyrestorm which I think is a identical unit.

http://www.opentip.com/Electronics-Computers/Atlona-Atprohdmsr-Hdmi-Matrix-Switch-Cat-Local-Hdmi-Outputs-p-2302626.html

I have a Snap AV 300 in my house right now.

Thing works great' date=' besides the driver. Coming off standby, the unit doesnt wake up fast enough to hear the command for which channels to set. If its already warmed up and going, it works fine.

I tried calling Snap AV myself, and they said the driver is fine and have been testing it for months. I told them its not fine, and that I have been testing it for weeks. Its a small issue, but otherwise the unit works great. I figure the driver will get updated once enough people get them installed from a dealer, as they wont believe one end user that is for sure.[/quote']

well_armed, can you go in to more details about what sources and displays you have? Do they all run the same resolution? What resolution? What is switching time like? Do you ever get any hiccups when you add sources?

I also don't know if I understand what you're saying about coming off standby and which channels to set. You mean which input to connect to which output? Is that what you're referring to?

Thanks in advance.

DirecTV

Apple TV 1

Apple TV 2

Sony BD

I can run all monitors at once with no flickering issues when adding monitors 2/3/4 to the same source. I am running monitors that are all 1080p capable, and 36 bit 1080p signal from all sources.

Switching time is fast, the only thing that takes some time is the DHCP handshake from the monitor and back (adds a second or two vs. component).

Coming off standby, it will get the turn on command but it somehow misses the input/output selection. For example, when I wake up in the morning and go watch > DirecTV the tv will turn on and the switch will wake up, but no picture (output is still at 0). I have to press watch > DirecTV again to get it over to my source.

I haven't troublshooted the issue yet, it could be the serial cable I am using, it could be a thousand things. I think that I am just going to program the unit to never turn off, which is fine by me.

http://www.opentip.com/Electronics-Computers/Atlona-Atprohdmsr-Hdmi-Matrix-Switch-Cat-Local-Hdmi-Outputs-p-2302626.html

Yes very tempting including the recievers and will allow for many displays. This is an older model though, I wonder if there is any differnce with the newer units.

Also how close might the pricing on the Snap AV unit with the recievers come to this one?

I have a Snap AV 300 in my house right now.

Thing works great' date=' besides the driver. Coming off standby, the unit doesnt wake up fast enough to hear the command for which channels to set. If its already warmed up and going, it works fine.

I tried calling Snap AV myself, and they said the driver is fine and have been testing it for months. I told them its not fine, and that I have been testing it for weeks. Its a small issue, but otherwise the unit works great. I figure the driver will get updated once enough people get them installed from a dealer, as they wont believe one end user that is for sure.[/quote']

well_armed, can you go in to more details about what sources and displays you have? Do they all run the same resolution? What resolution? What is switching time like? Do you ever get any hiccups when you add sources?

I also don't know if I understand what you're saying about coming off standby and which channels to set. You mean which input to connect to which output? Is that what you're referring to?

Thanks in advance.

DirecTV

Apple TV 1

Apple TV 2

Sony BD

I can run all monitors at once with no flickering issues when adding monitors 2/3/4 to the same source. I am running monitors that are all 1080p capable, and 36 bit 1080p signal from all sources.

Switching time is fast, the only thing that takes some time is the DHCP handshake from the monitor and back (adds a second or two vs. component).

Coming off standby, it will get the turn on command but it somehow misses the input/output selection. For example, when I wake up in the morning and go watch > DirecTV the tv will turn on and the switch will wake up, but no picture (output is still at 0). I have to press watch > DirecTV again to get it over to my source.

I haven't troublshooted the issue yet, it could be the serial cable I am using, it could be a thousand things. I think that I am just going to program the unit to never turn off, which is fine by me.

It shouldn't be too hard to edit the driver to lengthen the turn on delay.

I've noticed some devices take longer to wake up and handshake then others.

i wrote a driver for a 4x4 matrix before and had to play with the turn on delay to get it just long enough for the matrix to wait to switch inputs after power up. If it was too short, the switching didnt happen at all like you are describing. So i added a couple seconds, and then the inputs switched, but there were handshake issues, then i added another second to the delay and everything worked fine.

So my guess would be to add about 5 seconds to the turn on delay and if that work shorten it by a second at a time till you get it to the shortest time without issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in the last 25 days since this thread was active we've decided to move forward with getting the entire basement finished.

This has done a few things, the least of which is add a whole bunch more decisions that I have to make! One of the other things it's done though is solidified in my mind that I need to make the HDMI jump now. I had pretty much resigned to the fact that I was going to stick with component for a while longer but that is making less and less sense the more I think about it.

To all the SnapA/V dealers out there, is this 8x8 shipping yet? Has anybody managed to get their hands on one?

Well, in the last 25 days since this thread was active we've decided to move forward with getting the entire basement finished.

This has done a few things, the least of which is add a whole bunch more decisions that I have to make! One of the other things it's done though is solidified in my mind that I need to make the HDMI jump now. I had pretty much resigned to the fact that I was going to stick with component for a while longer but that is making less and less sense the more I think about it.

To all the SnapA/V dealers out there, is this 8x8 shipping yet? Has anybody managed to get their hands on one?

+1

We are a Silver level Snap dealer (doing $7,500 per quarter minimum wholesale) and I haven't gotten any yet (not saying others haven't but I've tried to get one). ETA is 1st 2 weeks of April (I think 2nd week of April). I have 4 coming and besides my personal one 2 others go to someone on this board so you should have feedback almost right away. I have wires hanging in my house waiting to be plugged in :)

We are a Silver level Snap dealer (doing $7,500 per quarter minimum wholesale) and I haven't gotten any yet (not saying others haven't but I've tried to get one). ETA is 1st 2 weeks of April (I think 2nd week of April). I have 4 coming and besides my personal one 2 others go to someone on this board so you should have feedback almost right away. I have wires hanging in my house waiting to be plugged in :)

Thanks for the update. I'm eagerly awaiting all the details with regards to performance and setup (EDID Management, etc...). I don't have a lot of time here...this will be cutting it close! I would love to save all the $$$ from the Hydraconnect...

same here

Will these Matrix's take care of all the audio sharing issues as well. Sharing concurrent content that's DTS-HD 7.1 to the theater, DTS 5.1 to the other great room, and stereo sound in the bathroom at the same time? I've been told that the audio in the majority of these units are down-sampled to the lowest common denominator. I have 16 audio zones and 8 video zones.

I know the Crestron DM will do this but it's 15k

Thanks

Will these Matrix's take care of all the audio sharing issues as well. Sharing concurrent content that's DTS-HD 7.1 to the theater, DTS 5.1 to the other great room, and stereo sound in the bathroom at the same time? I've been told that the audio in the majority of these units are down-sampled to the lowest common denominator. I have 16 audio zones and 8 video zones.

Thanks

zektor has a unit around the corner that will do what your asking.

Will these Matrix's take care of all the audio sharing issues as well. Sharing concurrent content that's DTS-HD 7.1 to the theater' date=' DTS 5.1 to the other great room, and stereo sound in the bathroom at the same time? I've been told that the audio in the majority of these units are down-sampled to the lowest common denominator. I have 16 audio zones and 8 video zones.

Thanks[/quote']

I this the unit that's been coming "soon" for two years?

Will these Matrix's take care of all the audio sharing issues as well. Sharing concurrent content that's DTS-HD 7.1 to the theater' date=' DTS 5.1 to the other great room, and stereo sound in the bathroom at the same time? I've been told that the audio in the majority of these units are down-sampled to the lowest common denominator. I have 16 audio zones and 8 video zones.

Thanks[/quote']

That would be the one. Maybe if we are lucky Zektor will even share the MSRP with us.

That would be the one. Maybe if we are lucky Zektor will even share the MSRP with us.

Clarity Elite HD $7848.00

Clarity HD $5388.00

guys just because you don't have direct access to something does not mean it does not exist.

Thanks[/quote']

Dan, if you would like one, I would be happy to order it for you :cool:

Clarity HD $5388.00

guys just because you don't have direct access to something does not mean it does not exist.

I think he was referring to the fact that Jeff denied supplying that information for sometime, before finally coughing it up.

ichbinbose, would you posting the PDF for the Clarity HD, in addition to the Elite version? I would love to compare the differences.

Clarity HD $5388.00

I think he was referring to the fact that Jeff denied supplying that information for sometime' date=' before finally coughing it up.

ichbinbose, would you posting the PDF for the Clarity HD, in addition to the Elite version? I would love to compare the differences.[/quote']

Dan, the PDF covers both units.

Clarity HD $5388.00

I think he was referring to the fact that Jeff denied supplying that information for sometime' date=' before finally coughing it up.

ichbinbose, would you posting the PDF for the Clarity HD, in addition to the Elite version? I would love to compare the differences.[/quote']

I guess I'll check it out then =)

Clarity HD $5388.00

Okay, so neither unit outputs over twisted pair. This is a bummer (for me).

Can the L/R Stereo Audio be switch and sourced independent of the video? IE: Could HDMI source 1 be providing a bluray providing video to HDMI output 1 (TV), while audio input 1 (Digital Audio) be providing output to audio output 1 (bedroom speakers)?

If so, it would eliminate the need for one of the C4 8 channel amps...

Can the L/R Stereo Audio be switch and sourced independent of the video? IE: Could HDMI source 1 be providing a bluray providing video to HDMI output 1 (TV), while audio input 1 (Digital Audio) be providing output to audio output 1 (bedroom speakers)?

Yes the audio can be switched indepently from the video.

Dan' date=' the PDF covers both units.[/quote']

Yes the audio can be switched indepently from the video.

Now, if only it will output over twisted pair.

Is this the same product that you said will encode different audio and different video resolutions for different displays, from the same source?

Archived