C4 Forums | Control4

Manage your Screensaver photos via Web Browser...

RyanE

Made a fun hack a few weeks ago, thought you all could appreciate it.

Keep in mind, this will likely only work on 2.0 and later systems, and there's a handful of limitations listed on the post.

Feel free to ask me questions, although I offer no support, and as this was not developed by Control4, they also offer no support for this.

It also requires that you be able to ssh into your Control4 system's master controller to install.

http://untestedhacks.com/2012/control4-photo-screensaver/

RyanE

Also, forgot to mention, if you're a web guru and can figure out why the Slideshow functionality isn't working in Windows browsers (works fine on Firefox and Chrome in Linux), feel free to fix it and send me the diffs.

Thanks.

RyanE

Hey Ryan. Great stuff! Thanks for posting this...Does this mean your going over to the DIY dark side :cool:

If you read my 'About Me' section on untestedhacks.com, I think you'll find the answer.

RyanE

Hey Ryan. Great stuff! Thanks for posting this...Does this mean your going over to the DIY dark side :cool:

If you read my 'About Me' section on untestedhacks.com' date=' I think you'll find the answer.

RyanE[/quote']

Right on! Yeh I was only teasing. I think what your doing is great!! :)

Typically, you would tell your gateway / router the name of the box.

At least, that's how I do it. Statically-assigned DHCP address for the controller, and a name in the DNS settings on the gateway.

RyanE

Typically, you would tell your gateway / roter the name of the box.

At least, that's how I do it. Statically-assigned DHCP address for the controller, and a name in the DNS settings on the gateway.

RyanE

I have a static IP but I can't figure out how to assign it a DNS entry. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme base station.

• 11 months later...

Awesome hack and can’t wait to use it. Looks like it will really make the photo screensaver so much more usable and easy to update! I rooted into my C4 HC800 server and loaded the installer. I now have access to the Control4 Screensaver Photo Management page and can select photos that I want to add.

However, when I click the Start button to upload a photo I added, I get an error message that says “SyntaxError: JSON Parse error: Unexpected EOF”. I’ve attempted this by using both the “Add Files” button and dragging a file to the web page and get the same error. I tried searching Google for a solution, but haven’t found anything yet. I confirmed my image file meets the requirements (it’s only a 407KB .JPG file). I’m using Safari 6.03 on a Mac Pro.

If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know. THANKS!

I did a little more testing and tried it on IE10 and then downloaded Firefox. I was able to get Firefox to upload the photos to the HC800 so I can now use the hack (thanks Ryan!). I guess the hack may not work with Safari 6.03.

Ok, back again (sorry). Apparently, I'm not all the way there yet.

As mentioned in the post above, I was finally able to upload photos to the USB stick in my HC800 controller using the web tool. However, I can't get these photos to be part of the Navigator screensaver's picture rotation. I've clicked on the "Update Navigators" button on the Control4 Screensaver Photo Management web page. I also used "Refreshed Navigators" in Composer HE v2.3.0. All the photos I uploaded using the web tool are being reflected on the web tool page. I also went into Composer HE and see all the new photos listed properly in the Media\Stored\Screen Saver section (along with other photos that I uploaded using Composer HE). I clicked on the "Check Resolution" button in Composer and get the correct "All resolutions are present" dialog box. I rebooted my HC800 controller and my 7"TS The only photos that appear in the screen saver are the ones uploaded through Composer.

Any suggestions?

Cool ;)

Port forwarded allows my entire family to upload from the web!

It also allows all the weirdos on the web to upload pictures!

Not Cool!

:)

RyanE

P.S. There is absolutely *no guarantee* that the functionality provided has any security whatsoever, and I don't take responsibility if your system is hacked because you port forwarded something that was not intended to be 'on the Internet'.

Ryan (or anyone else), any suggestions on what I need to do to get the photos I uploaded via the web to be part of the screensaver slide show? (See above for steps I've taken so far to try to remedy the situation)

Thx.

Archived