C4 Forums | Control4

Can't just turn on or off a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1010 receiver

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, having just gotten a C4 system installed. I'm a good programmer though, so I have CHE and am quickly learning how to build cool scenes and use conditional logic in the C4 framework.

However, there is one thing I can't seem to get to work. And I'd appreciate the experience of others here to know if there's a solution I'm missing, or this is a bug with the drivers. In short, I have the Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver connected to an HC800 by IP. And everything works great. However, I can't seem to get the "Receiver On" or "Receiver Off" actions to work directly. The receiver does turn on when I select a video or audio source. And the receiver turns off when I turn off the whole room. But I want to use the HDMI second output on the receiver sometimes (to another room) and NOT have the main TV turn on as well (It's always coming on automatically with the selection of a video source, which normally is fine).

Any suggestions on this one? Anyone else have a similar issue? Is it just an issue with the IP driver or something else?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Dan

I have that exact same receiver, but not the driver. I can confirm for you that there is discrete on/off control of "All Zones" together, because this is available when using the web browser function. But on/off of the "MAIN" zone and "ZONE2", is not discrete, it is a toggle. Is this your problem? Are there any clues here?..maybe have a play with the web browser function to see what I mean..does this mean it is a driver bug? I don't know.

There are a couple of guy's on this forum with the driver. "qVAMPIREp" is one..maybe search and contact him... ;)

Hi, thanks for your response. Please let me clarify. I am referring not to the zones but to the entire receiver itself -- power on and power off. These commands clearly exist in the CHE application...that is, I can create an action that looks like this:

Turn on the Family Room --> Receiver

But on execution, the receiver does not turn on. And likewise for the turn off action -- nothing.

The receiver will turn on if I select a video source, like DVD, but it will turn on the TV too which is not what I want to do for this particular application. And I can turn off the receiver using the whole "room off" action, but that turns off everything in the room, not just the receiver alone...

Is it just that you HAVE to select a source and can't just turn on the Receiver? And if you switch to a video source, the TV HAS to come on, rather than just let it do the pass through to HDMI 2 Out?

Hope that helps clarify.

No, the second room is off the grid; it's just a basic LCD TV that takes the HDMI2 signal as an input. So the architecture is essentially a group of video sources, like Cable DVR or DVD player, that are connected to the Yamaha Receiver by HDMI. The receiver has a monitor output on HDMI1 to the primary TV and an HDMI2 output to this other LCD TV.

Ideally, we could turn on the receiver (the problem), switch it to HDMI2 (there is an activity for the switching in CHE that works with the receiver) and select a video source to turn on and control as well, without the main TV going on (if I select a video source, it automatically turns on the main TV). So maybe the issue is that instead of allowing for the receiver to be turned on/off alone, the system has bound the video source to the receiver and TV such that you have to select the video source, which then turns on both the receiver and TV, and there just isn't a way to turn on the receiver alone and not turn on the TV too. All of that is fine if it weren't for the HDMI2 output use case.

Perhaps my only option is to have both TVs on at the same time when I want to use the LCD TV on HDMI2??

Have your dealer create the second room with the tv in the second room then bind that tv to hdmi 2. Then when you want to watch in that room you select that room then pick a source. Then the tv won't turn on in the first room.

Great idea!! I just hadn't thought of that since I don't have any other C4 equipment in that room and thus it's not in the Room/Event list. I'll post here again with the results when it's done. Thanks everyone!

(But isn't it still odd that the simple "Receiver Power On" and "Receiver Power Off" commands don't work through the IP control? Is that expected behavior based on the Receiver being connected to various audio and video sources?)

Update: After further experimentation, I think that's the case. Unlike having a traditional on/off control, the receiver is programmed to go on only with a video or audio source selection, and then only turns off with the "room off" command.

So the recommendation should work well since making a second room in the C4 system will give it something to use as a "room off" to turn the receiver off when we're done with the TV in there.

Thanks again everyone.

• 2 years later...

C4 generally does not support Zone 2 operations with receivers as they are generally limited or poor drivers. As suggested creating a second room and making the connections should work. If you are having issues still you can go to programming. On the left choose a trigger, or the right select the receiver.  there will be a drop down for main or zone 2 or whatever it is named. then go do to Emit command or device commands i think and chose the specific command you want. Remember selecting an input in a zone is generally also a trigger for power in that zone.

Archived