C4 Forums | Control4

Getting Started with MyHome

Hello, I would like to get some guidance o how to use MyHome. I am not very computer lliterate but my son is and can help me. I would like to use a light weight netbook or something that looks like an iPad to control the few items I have. How do I select the proper computer of tablet- which ones work best? I would prefer not to use iPad as the children always have them and they seem to get broken or used for other purposes.

Additionally, I was give the Control 4 system as a gift so I know nothing about how it is installed. Shall I find a company representative in order to purchase MyHome? I supose a phone call would be a starting point but it seems that the appropriate people could be found here.

Thanks for your assistance.

I'd snag a Motorola XOOM. It's an Android based tablet, and the first Gen WiFi versions can be found for $300 to $400 new/refurbished. It's a rock solid tablet and runs the app like a champ.

RE: buying the app, you will need to buy a license for it. I'd get in touch with the person that gave you the system, find out who installed it and get in touch with them. The guys at AVIT Technology may be able to help you as well. Info@avittechnology.com

Enjoy!

Thanks for your help. Something has transpired in the meantime and the dealer is suggesting I remove the Control 4 system and install something else. I presume they are no longer in business or there is something wrong with the equipment. My son talked with them so I don't know details.

Whose no longer in business? Control4 is as healthy as a horse (and not the ones on Animal Cops). Anything we can help you with?

I think he meant the dealer. Though I don't think anyone can comment on the overall health of Control4 since its not a publicly traded company.

Thanks for your help. Something has transpired in the meantime and the dealer is suggesting I remove the Control 4 system and install something else. I presume they are no longer in business or there is something wrong with the equipment. My son talked with them so I don't know details.

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Good luck with your project (no matter what you finally end up with).

RyanE

Hello again, is it possible to sell my Control 4 items here? Is that allowed? They are all next to new but I cannot say if they work properly. My service man suggested I try to sell them as he cannot give me much for it. Can anyone tell me if Control 4 is going out of business, this is what I'm hearing and part of the problem with this equipment might be that it cannot be serviced anymore.

It was working then it stopped and now I am close to yet another system but I was told this new system is much better. I would like to try to regain some of the lost money that my son put into this so let me know if anyone is interested in some equipment. I can give you his email. Thank you very much.

Hello again, is it possible to sell my Control 4 items here? Is that allowed? They are all next to new but I cannot say if they work properly. My service man suggested I try to sell them as he cannot give me much for it. Can anyone tell me if Control 4 is going out of business, this is what I'm hearing and part of the problem with this equipment might be that it cannot be serviced anymore.

It was working then it stopped and now I am close to yet another system but I was told this new system is much better. I would like to try to regain some of the lost money that my son put into this so let me know if anyone is interested in some equipment. I can give you his email. Thank you very much.

Before you sell, perhaps something an be done to get the existing system working? Is your dealer a Control4 Premier or Authorized entity or a retailer like Best Buy? Just trying to gain perspective...

Can anyone tell me if Control 4 is going out of business, this is what I'm hearing and part of the problem with this equipment might be that it cannot be serviced anymore.

No, Control4 is not going out of business.

Control4 has not announced any layoffs and doesn't show any other signs of distress.

I work for Control4, and haven't seen any warning signs or issues, and we just had a company meeting last week, which went over financials and current status, and it all looks good to me, although I obviously can't discuss specifics.

As far as servicing, all new Control4 equipment comes with a 2 year warranty, but any RMAs or other service work has to happen through an authorized Control4 dealer.

RyanE

ControlVI- spend some time on this forum and you will notice that many have successful systems that they enjoy. Any, ANY, automation system is bound to hiccup now and then. Knowing what to do to maximize system confidence is what this forum is partly about. I won't guess about the people-end of your install, the only thing that is important is that you know Control4 is a strong player in HA and the equipment and capabilities to customize are desirable.

STICK WITH IT!

Once upon a time I went to a dealer when I was looking to start a system. I specifically asked for C4, having done some homework.

That dealer complained about problems with C4 and had me waste time waiting for an update or some other brand that was coming down the road. That dealer was a Gold partner of C4 and had the C4 system in their showrooms.

Finally I came to my senses, after wasting 6-8 months of my life, and found another dealer.

Lesson Learned ! Stick with your investment and instead of giving the same dealer more money for another brand, find a new dealer and get the stuff you have fixed!

If you have a simple setup, there are a lot of people who do remote programming on this board.

I just wouldn't trust a dealer who sells me one thing, doesn't take it back when he doesn't get it working and sells me something else. Let me know if you spend more money to make your dealer happy, I have a few shoe boxes I need to sell.

Archived