C4 Forums | Control4

HouseLogix Releases Control4 Nest Thermostat Driver

For a second, I was wondering why you were mentioning your Thermos.

Sure, they keep hot things hot, and cool things cool, with magic, but I don't see how that applies...

:)

RyanE

Don't laugh. I actually created heated Thermos (bottoms) where I can control the internal temp via bluetooth from an app I wrote for IOS.

• 1 month later...

Taken from the houselogix site....

Nest® Thermostat Control4 Driver

We are sorry to report that Nest Labs has asked us to stop providing a Control4 third party integration driver for the Nest® Thermostat. As we want to respect their product and company we have removed the driver from our Dealer Portal and licenses will no longer be generated.

We discussed the possibility of adding control system integration in the future and they are looking at a longer term solution. In the meantime we encourage customers and dealers to contact Nest Labs (855.469.6378 | info@nest.com) and express your interest and support of it as well.

As an alternative for dealers looking to integrate a highly functional and low cost thermostat into their projects, we are wrapping up development of our driver for the Radio Thermostat CT30.

1. Feel bad for anyone who purchased a Nest thermostat, sold there C4 thermostat and purchased this driver.

2. Doubt you will get a refund.

3. The risk of this occurring was brought up in another thread and I think someone placed it as the same as getting hit by an asteroid (or maybe a bit more than your C4 system being hacked into).

4. I still believe Nest is working on a total home automation solution. The fact they went after C4 to begin with and have no interest in integrating with C4 leads me to this conclusion. I mean wouldn't they want to sell more of their product?

After sniffing around a bit, just looks like they changed one little bit of code to the call, a simple driver update could fix this... In the mean time, I'm working on a transparent proxy to "fix" the communications path...

Worst case, I'll just stick to the iOS app, which is pretty cool, BTW. At least I can still see the temp and set away/home mode in the driver / c4, which is the more important part.

Right now, you just can't change temp or change HVAC modes in the driver, everything else seems to still work.

After sniffing around a bit, just looks like they changed one little bit of code to the call, a simple driver update could fix this... In the mean time, I'm working on a transparent proxy to "fix" the communications path...

Worst case, I'll just stick to the iOS app, which is pretty cool, BTW. At least I can still see the temp and set away/home mode in the driver / c4, which is the more important part.

Right now, you just can't change temp or change HVAC modes in the driver, everything else seems to still work.

Considering they advertised free driver updates, you should either get a free driver update or get your money back.

Taken from the houselogix site....

Nest® Thermostat Control4 Driver

We are sorry to report that Nest Labs has asked us to stop providing a Control4 third party integration driver for the Nest® Thermostat. As we want to respect their product and company we have removed the driver from our Dealer Portal and licenses will no longer be generated.

We discussed the possibility of adding control system integration in the future and they are looking at a longer term solution. In the meantime we encourage customers and dealers to contact Nest Labs (855.469.6378 | info@nest.com) and express your interest and support of it as well.

As an alternative for dealers looking to integrate a highly functional and low cost thermostat into their projects, we are wrapping up development of our driver for the Radio Thermostat CT30.

I quote myself from a post I made back on May 3rd.

The problem I see with this driver is it's ability to work after Nest updates. Unless HouseLogix has a developer relationship with Nest, there is no guarantee that their driver will continue to work with the thermostat when Nest does an update. Will HouseLogix provide a free update? If so you more than likely will have to pay your dealer to install the update.

Also what about reliability? Again, unless HouseLogix has a developer agreement, updates from Nest makes the HouseLogix driver unreliable since it can stop working at anytime.

I hope the driver was free or you can get our money back. I have always stated that you should only spec/use equipment whose manuf. makes available the control codes, RS232 or IP or you will have issues down the road.

There is something bigger going on, Apple pulled Nest off their shelfs in their brick and mortar stores as of yesterday.

So one month ago Apple starts selling Nest, yesterday they are pulled with out explanation.

Like I said, it isn't broken, just changed the commands for setting temp and mode.

All inbound data remains the same, so it is not 100% broke, and not 100% working. Just needs updating.

I've reached out to Nest and others to see if there is an official status for existing users... For now, it is what it is.

Ironically, I've been able to send the needed commands to set the temp, just not the headers from the driver. Real simple fix, if those with the unencrypted code are willing to fix.

There is something bigger going on, Apple pulled Nest off their shelfs in their brick and mortar stores as of yesterday.

So one month ago Apple starts selling Nest, yesterday they are pulled with out explanation.

It's not a mystery. Again, I quote myself from a post back on Feb 6th.

Now before you ask what this has to do with Apple pulling NEST off the shelf, think a little bit. If you have to ask then it's not worth explaining.

Archived