C4 Forums | Control4

HouseLogix Releases Control4 Nest Thermostat Driver

Today is the day! That's right, we're finally releasing our Nest® Thermostat Control4 driver into the wild. We'll keep this short and sweet; if you want all the details go to http://www.houselogix.com/dev/nestthermostat.asp.

Here's a brief bullet point summary of the features we've implemented for version 1. If you notice we've added the "Auto" setting to the list as well which maps to the Nest® Range feature.

• Adjust heating and cooling temperature set points

• Set system mode to heat, cool, auto or off

• Change fan mode to Auto or On

• Set the Hold mode

• View the current temperature

• View the current humidity & Leaf status (Available through programming)

• View HVAC state

• View Fan state

• Change the temperature

• All standard Control4 thermostat variables that map to the Nest® functionality are also available.

chesterwilson has it right. We do not set MSRP. Please see your dealer for details.

I didn't need to look that far:

Today is the day! That's right, we're finally releasing our Nest® Thermostat Control4 driver into the wild. We'll keep this short and sweet; if you want all the details go to http://www.houselogix.com/dev/nestthermostat.asp.

Here's a brief bullet point summary of the features we've implemented for version 1. If you notice we've added the "Auto" setting to the list as well which maps to the Nest® Range feature.

Adjust heating and cooling temperature set points

Set system mode to heat, cool, auto or off

Change fan mode to Auto or On

Set the Hold mode

View the current temperature

View the current humidity & Leaf status

Available through programming

View HVAC state

View Fan state

Change the temperature

All standard Control4 thermostat variables that map to the Nest® functionality are also available.

Pricing:

We are offering every dealer a single discounted Site License for $49.

Single Device License - $99

Single Site License - $149

5 Pack of Site Licenses - $549

10 Pack of Device Licenses - $749

All products are conveniently available for purchase from our website via PayPal and license keys are generated and emailed automatically.

Now everybody knows the dealer price, because that's all you shared. An MSRP probably would have been helpful, huh?

MSRP @ $99 is a little too high for a $249 device. I think $20 is fair.

It would appear this is NOT msrp. Ask your dealer if you are interested, (I'll take a stab and guess you're not)

+1000000

Priceless!

chesterwilson has it right. We do not set MSRP. Please see your dealer for details.

I didn't need to look that far:

Today is the day! That's right' date=' we're finally releasing our Nest® Thermostat Control4 driver into the wild. We'll keep this short and sweet; if you want all the details go to http://www.houselogix.com/dev/nestthermostat.asp.

Adjust heating and cooling temperature set points

Set system mode to heat, cool, auto or off

Change fan mode to Auto or On

Set the Hold mode

View the current temperature

View the current humidity & Leaf status

Available through programming

View HVAC state

View Fan state

Change the temperature

All standard Control4 thermostat variables that map to the Nest® functionality are also available.

Pricing:

We are offering every dealer a single discounted Site License for $49.

Single Device License - $99

Single Site License - $149

5 Pack of Site Licenses - $549

10 Pack of Device Licenses - $749

All products are conveniently available for purchase from our website via PayPal and license keys are generated and emailed automatically.[/quote']

Now everybody knows the dealer price, because that's all you shared. An MSRP probably would have been helpful, huh?

My dealer has always charged me whatever it took to purchase from the 3rd party. That's because I greased his palm a long time ago using 2008 dollars.

we do this for a lot of customers as well and just charge time for programming. In this case the driver doesn't allow us to sell and integrate something we sell to the customer because nest doesn't sell to Canada directly yet. But usually 3rd party drivers allow us to sell something else so we charge at, or REALLY close to cost and then just make the money on the programming and the device thats being tied into control4.

* All interaction with the Nest® thermostat is done through the web so an Internet connection is required.

* This driver will not work with Nest® thermostats that haven't been registered and tied to an account online.

That's interesting, it sounds like the driver is working though Nest's online settings and not through Zigbee. I never thought about creating the driver this way. It is probably a much easier way to do things.

That's interesting, it sounds like the driver is working though Nest's online settings and not through Zigbee. ... It is probably a much easier way to do things.

Yes, especially since the ZigBee chip on the device *doesn't do anything*.

It's "for the future".

RyanE

Looking at all the aspects of the driver, I can tell you it would not have been easy to develop. Great work in getting it done. Especially regarding a company (Nest) that made no efforts whatsoever to open up their product to this type of thing.

. . . . Especially regarding a company (Nest) that made no efforts whatsoever to open up their product to this type of thing.

The problem I see with this driver is it's ability to work after Nest updates. Unless HouseLogix has a developer relationship with Nest, there is no guarantee that their driver will continue to work with the thermostat when Nest does an update. Will HouseLogix provide a free update? If so you more than likely will have to pay your dealer to install the update.

Also what about reliability? Again, unless HouseLogix has a developer agreement, updates from Nest makes the HouseLogix driver unreliable since it can stop working at anytime.

^I super-agree with you. Although I applaud their (HL) effort, it is also common knowledge that Nest is uncooperative. Anyone here who says they just won't update the thing is fooling themselves. It's human nature to want the best and try something new. Besides, it's automatic anyways so you don't get a say.

As I don't believe nest has a developer program, it's the only game in town of you want to integrate with them.

There is certainly a small risk of an update causing issues, but there is also a non-zero percent chance that an asteroid will hit. I'm guessing off that happens, you also won't get a refund.

Use it if you can handle the very small risk of an update requiring a driver update. Don't if you can't.

;)

RyanE

the same argument can be said of lots of things

extra veg's sonos driver

siri proxy

every single web scraping application / driver ever made.

Only if the manuf. of the hardware the driver is controlling does not release their control codes. I would never recommend to a client nor would I put in a product at the clients request where the control codes (RS232/IP) are not published or available to integrators.

In my personal opinion I think it's foolish to add hardware to a control systems where the control codes (RS232/IP) are not available. It gives the system a bad image when it stops working either partially or fully and it's leaves the client feeling frustrated because they have to call their dealer to install the updated driver (if there is one avail), the cost to the client in terms of money, time AND inconvenience of not having that particular piece of hardware available in this case a thermostat, etc.

As a designer/integrator it's my job to make sure that when I leave the client's system is 100% reliable and again that is accomplished by using products whose manuf. publishes/releases the control codes.

Archived