C4 Forums | Control4

Ripping Guide?

cdepaola

I have been using DVDFab. I like the product but I have problems getting the C4 media scanner to pick up the BluRay ISO for the media library. Is this a problem anyone else experiences with ISO rips (Bluray or normal)?

If I use AnyDVD rip to HDD will the Popcorn Hour read this or do I need to convert to something else?

This is one of my huge weaknesses in knowledge, ive net really gotten into media ripping as I've never had a need.

If I use AnyDVD rip to HDD will the Popcorn Hour read this or do I need to convert to something else?

This is one of my huge weaknesses in knowledge, ive net really gotten into media ripping as I've never had a need.

This works fine ust get AnyDVD-HD. I still have an older Popcorn Hour A-110 and have not gotten around to updating to a C-300 but I'm certain it would work also. DVDs work fine ripping straight to iso. I have not tried blu-ray iso yet as my PCH will not play them. Blu-rays work fine just ripping the .ts stream wich I find very handy anyway. It is a bit smaller without all the menu/extras but mainly it just plays the movie directly. You do lose chapter support though and my remote just goes by percentage (ie button 4 skips to 40%.)

HDDVDs work as well and were a cheap way to buy HD content but they required conversion after ripping.

Oh that could be a debate for the ages...

VOB is the raw video and audio format for the DVD. If you browse a dvd you'll see the VOB disc structure in the VIDEO_TS folder

The ISO format keeps the entire dvd disc intact and can be mounted just like an inserted DVD.

Both are fine and acceptable, not real advantage to either, since the same is accomplished, however, some players don't play ISOs properly.

The upside to ripping VOB VIDEO_TS folder structure is that you can use other programs like cloneDVD (from the makers of anydvd) and only extract the main movie file and remove all the excess clutter on the dvd.

Don't get caught.

:)

Kidding aside, assuming you're as legal as possible at the moment (backing up your own movies), I like Handbrake.

RyanE

I think the "Ultraviolet" offer from Walmart completely changed the game on this..

Now the studios have agreed to that, what could possibly be the problem if you DIY?

If it's OK to take your entire collection down to Walmart and get a digital copy back of every movie (for your own use), then I don't see why any judge would lock you up for doing exactly the same thing yourself in the comfort of your own home (again for your own personal use)

Thoughts anyone?

Agreed, no case law (and I'm not a lawyer) but the guidance from differing governing bodies is such that the provisions under the Copyright law of 1974? have upheld the fair use clause.

The Betamax case from 84? also upheld the conversion part.

The biggest challenge is the plaintiff (the studios) would have to prove damages, and since you can prove (right?) that you already both a copy (legally) the DVD you are backing up, there would be no damages.

The main issue is the DMCA which prohibits the discussion of talking about the technical ability to circumvent encryption. Making that part illegal, however, again, for personal use, the recent ruling about breaking encryption or other protections for personal use, such as jailbreaking, DVD backup copying, etc by the Library of Congress (I think, again not a lawyer) still protects the act of ripping.

It is clearly the intent, if you are backing up a physical property you own and safekeeping it from potential scratches or other damages, you are most likely safe. However, there are always lawyers who will sue for anything, just a pain to deal with.

Again, the issue is with the court, the burden to prove damages. If you paid them, you are fine, just don't distribute it (like libraries do).

Archived