C4 Forums | Control4

Can you authenticate MyHomePC with Composer Home Ed?

I updated the Adobe AIR to v 3.4 yesterday and cannot connect to the director from my PC's. I've already contacted my dealer to reauthenticate the clients but was wondering if this can be done on my own with Composer Home Ed? If not, what is the reason that we can't do this process on our own? Why does the dealer need to be involved with authenticating clients?

Wow quite the rant.

The reason MyHome device ID is limited is more because of security reasons than anything else - would you like it if any single person could walk up to your house and identify his iPhone and start controlling your house?

The reason it isn't in HE is because it's been around for a long time, and the way one IDs a device is ingrained into a portion of Composer people should not have random access to. No disrespect to those who ARE capable of using Composer Pro -without messing everything up, but many are not.

Yes Control4 is dealer based. Yes this means limited DIY capability. I find it funny that people who are hell-bent to do DIY always seem to choose Control4. There are others out there for you to choose from.

Control4 made a choice to be a dealer company, in no small part because that way they can have SOME measure of control. Agree with it or not.

Want to rant some more? Maybe to Apple for not allowing every App made on their devices? Perhaps Hollywood for making you pay for movies? Videogame producers for charging for Add-On content? Perhaps the Oil Industry for the higher Gas prices that make it so expensive to drive the Hummer around?

Keep in mind that YOU choose to use a LUXURY good or not. Do try to remember that none of the products you choose to not pay for (and I'm cetainly NOT trying to be a saint here - but it IS good to remember) would exist without a) you wanting them B) people putting in time, effort and money to create them for you.

Don't know about other dealers but ID for a myhome device rarely gets charged by us. It's about 5 minutes on the phone and on-line and off you go.... All I personally ask is that if you need 5 new devices ID'd you try and get all 5 ready and on-site so I'm not logging in 5 times.

Funny dissapeared by the time I replied.

The latest Air update is a known issue by the way.

While I can't promise anything, nor can I give timelines, many ARE working on and pushing for a way for users to ID MyHome stuff in. Trust me we, as dealers, don't want to have to go out all the time or spend time in the evenings everytime you but a new iPhone or iPad, or something like this update occurs.

Changing this is, unfortunately, not as simple as one might think - there are all sorts of side-effects to consider and contain.

Cyknight - I didn't think I was ranting. My question wasn't meant that way. The problem isn't a huge issue because I do have a good dealer who's typically very responsive. I understand the security issue with authenticating devices. My thought was simply, if the process to reauthenticate can be done on the controller with the Pro version, why not the Home version. Both require local network access (or secure remote access). I was just curious if there was something that I was missing. Not a rant :)

In the meantime, since I have to schedule a few minutes with my dealer, I've updated my other computers with the Adobe AIR update so that we can resolve all at once.

Indeed not aimed at you at all sweeper. The post I referred to was deleted as I posted mine, hence my follow up :)

Why is because HE does not give access to the page that allows identification -for what is overall a good reason- where this is done.

Changing that would be much more involved than most assume as it would mean a change to Composer (Pro and HE, likely ME), a change to the App itself, a change to the system software...

As I hinted, there is work in progress but nothing's set or cetain yet.

• 1 month later...

Update: Newest version of Adobe AIR has been released and fixes this problem... I never called my dealer to get this re-authenticated as I don't use it that often, but the newest updated took care of the problem and MyHomePC works again.

Archived