C4 Forums | Control4

Best Router

rf5000

Yeah I wouldn't quite get too excited about the "better remote setup" just yet.

And for all the luck you keep repeating on airports, they simply are NOT intended for large systems.

They're also overpriced but that's apple for you.

Great that they always just work. You must be lucky, as the average failure rate of Time Capsules is 2 years, Extremes 3 years.

Interesting that your system is running on a time capsule for 5 years. Must be the time TRAVEL capsule as it's been out just over 4 years.

I can get a large system running on a wrtg54l and ddwrt if I want. Prob would run for 5 years easy. Still wouldnt recommend it.

Can you recommend something then? I'm about at wit's end with my Cisco RV220W. Im ready to throw out this $250 piece of junk. I was thinking of doing a luxul router and a basic Trendnet wifi access point.

Out of curiosity' date=' what are you having problems with on the RV220W. (I am using the same one.)[/quote']

The latest firmware does not support hairpinning (access local devices on the network using its WAN ip address and port forwarding)

The Cisco protect link web is rubbish. I cant even set a policy to block urls to everyone except a few people on the network. If that one person is white listed for one site, they have to be white listed for anything thats blocked. DD-WRT and even a stock linksys router allows more control over this stuff.

The VPN support for an IPSEC connection is terrible. If you are on 64 bit windows 7 their vpn client will not work with it. Which makes you revert to using PPTP. The tech at Cisco suggested using Windows XP.

Altho the hardware seems outstanding, the firmware is terrible.

All i really want is a good configurable router that has excellent gigabit performance. Ill probably just get an Asus RT-N16 and load DD-WRT on it.

Can you recommend something then? I'm about at wit's end with my Cisco RV220W. Im ready to throw out this $250 piece of junk. I was thinking of doing a luxul router and a basic Trendnet wifi access point.

Out of curiosity' date=' what are you having problems with on the RV220W. (I am using the same one.)[/quote']

The latest firmware does not support hairpinning (access local devices on the network using its WAN ip address and port forwarding)

The Cisco protect link web is rubbish. I cant even set a policy to block urls to everyone except a few people on the network. If that one person is white listed for one site, they have to be white listed for anything thats blocked. DD-WRT and even a stock linksys router allows more control over this stuff.

The VPN support for an IPSEC connection is terrible. If you are on 64 bit windows 7 their vpn client will not work with it. Which makes you revert to using PPTP. The tech at Cisco suggested using Windows XP.

All i really want is a good configurable router that has excellent gigabit performance. Ill probably just get an Asus RT-N16 and load DD-WRT on it.

Got it. It seems to be working for me, but I have not tried to use as many features. (Only using VPN from mobile over PPTP and never planned on using protect link.) Not being able to VPN in with Win 7/64 is frustrating.

I am running an Asus RT-N16 with DD-WRT and while the general performance is good. Where I have problems is when the cable modem resets the router needs a manual refresh or a restart to pull an IP again. Not sure where the problem is. When I was running TomatoUSB on the router I never had any issues--but it is not as intuitive as DD-WRT.

Archived