C4 Forums | Control4

Speakers in theaters and C4 announcements

R_Willis

My theater room uses the 7.1 setup from my Onkyo.

I don't have any other speakers in the room.

What does everyone do to allow for C4 announcements in theater rooms?

Have an extra set I guess?

Is there some way to "share" the back surrounds with the C4 amp or something?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I have a separate "Media Announcements speaker"

Bill

One of the most irritating thing about announcements is that if you have a zone playing music or audio and you pay an announcement into a zone that does not have that audio you will get "bleed through". It will play the music in your media room and then the announcement.

I hope that someday C4 will fix this issue.

One of the most irritating thing about announcements is that if you have a zone playing music or audio and you pay an announcement into a zone that does not have that audio you will get "bleed through". It will play the music in your media room and then the announcement.

Agreed. Extremely annoying!

Thanks.

I have a separate "Media Announcements speaker"

Bill

+1

This is why I'd prefer push notifications to my ios or android device.

This is not a given w/announcements. This appears as an isolated issue and that could be why Control4 has not officially addressed a fix- is this even on their radar?

This is not a given w/announcements. This appears as an isolated issue and that could be why Control4 has not officially addressed a fix- is this even on their radar?

I was told by my dealer it was a known issue.

Been waiting patiently for 2 years for a fix on this. You would think a fix would be possible.

The problem with getting this fixed is that the "cause" of this is build deep into the base software.

It's part of how C4 selects and prefers auido type connections, how it orders switching devices vs changing internal streams (the music bleeding) vs changing volume (blast of high volume audio after announcement wav file is played).

Don't forget announcements were a later addition to the software, so the original program would never have been tested against it.

It may sound simple to fix but all this is based on algorithms that are build into the operating system (director) and controller's (base) software. On top of that, this all ties into a number of other parts of the system as well - video, communication, tracking.

Simply put, it cannot simply be deleted and re-build. Further, just replacing it is not enough, because -in part by C4's own mandate- it all has to be backward compatible with all other devices still supported.

Simplefied example is that C4 amplifiers expect to get info/commands in a certain order - this would have to change, so the 8-zone Amplifier software needs to change, and the 4-zone amplifier, and the speakerpoint, and the audio matrix, and every controller (as audio outs can be tied as endpoints) and older versions of all these pieces. Plus there are 3-rd party devices build around this that would possibly require update, and testing, testing, testing, testing. Did I mention testing to make sure some other part of it all isn't broken? Oh and all the different set-ups that are out there need to be checked as much as possible to make sure any work-arounds aren't going to cause major issues once the change is implemented.

Is it an issue? Sure is. And Control4 is indeed aware of this on any number of levels - is investigating solutions.

I'd love to see this fixed, make no mistake, but of all the things on my list of changes and improvements -knowing to some degree what it would involve to do this- it isn't at the top and I expect it isn't for C4 either.

Look forward to a number of very nice improvement soon - C4 and many of us dealers are working hard to make it all happen (and work right) - for everyone.

Right, someone knows about it. That doesn't mean it always happens. Post 5 infers that this is something that is inherently characteristic of the announcement feature with Control4. If it is "known", how do (or anyone else) account for the fact that it has been mentioned here as far back as 1.8?

Technical support at C4 told my dealer (I heard them do it) that it is a known issue and they are working on it. I have no idea if they were simply blowing him off or not.

It is an irritating issue that could simply be solved by overlaying the sound (mixing it if you will) with what is playing currently - simply lower the current playing volume and then bring up the other announcement play it then lower the add in volume and bring back up the volume of the original (if it was nothing then nothing plays.

My smart phone does this when I am driving listening to music and then my GPS wants to talk - why is it difficult for a 100,000.00 plus system to handle this? <grin>

Bill

Technical support at C4 told my dealer (I heard them do it) that it is a known issue and they are working on it. I have no idea if they were simply blowing him off or not.

It is an irritating issue that could simply be solved by overlaying the sound (mixing it if you will) with what is playing currently - simply lower the current playing volume and then bring up the other announcement play it then lower the add in volume and bring back up the volume of the original (if it was nothing then nothing plays.

My smart phone does this when I am driving listening to music and then my GPS wants to talk - why is it difficult for a 100,000.00 plus system to handle this? <grin>

Bill

Working on it gives no time-frame now does it? Also keep in mind that most ot the Tech-support guys are NOT involved in fixing errors - they pass it on and get info passed back from the engineers.

Why is it a problem? See my previous post. Part of the problem is that it IS so much bigger than you GPS and Phone. There's so much more involved with it.

Archived