C4 Forums | Control4

Registration Process

I have really not commented on the spam nor have I ever given my 2 cents on the subject. But, before I do , I understand what Dan and the folks at Cytexone go through managing this board along with running their business. Their business, no matter what anyone thinks, comes first as thats makes them money. This forum is just a public service that generates little to no revenue while at the same time takes time and money to run.

With that said, I feel their should be 2 DEDICATED, volunteers who have the TIME and Energy and want to dedicate their time and energy to this forum. The 2 positions would be Registration Verification moderator and Spam moderator.

I am on a few forums where new registrants are personally verified. Here is an example of one from the Kaleidescape forum I am on. Here is a link;

I'm sorry to do this, but I've had to change the registration process to prevent spambots that go looking for small forums like this on which to post their "offers".

From now on, newly registered users will not automatically have the ability to post messages. They'll get an email from me asking for a quick reply saying who they are and why they're interested in Kaleidescape or this forum. If they respond in an intelligible way, I'll approve them becoming a full member with posting priviliges.

If you want to speed up the process and save me some trouble, you can proactively send me a note with the answers to those questions. Do this after you get the automatic email that asks you to confirm your email address.

So to summarize, this is how it works:

Fill out the registration info, including a real email address

the system will AUTOMATICALLY send you an email to confirm your email, asking you to click a link to confirm. Click that link to confirm your email address.

The system alerts me of your request to register and that your email address was validated.

If you've already emailed me or PM'd me the info about your interest in Kaleidescape and how you found us, I'll get you registered quickly. If not, I'll drop you a note asking you to tell me of your interest, etc. Reply to that and I'll get you set up.

You should get a note when you're completely registered with all privileges.

Please do note that it can take me a day or so... I don't do this fulltime and do work (too hard) and travel some, so I get to it when I can.

These extra step will stop the spambots from registering and posting here.

It will make it somewhat more of a hassle for new users, and for that I'm sorry. But I just can't take all the spam we're getting lately.

Real humans interested in discussing Kaleidescape should still be able to participate here very quickly. Note that you do NOT need to be a Kaleidescape owners, user, dealer, or installer. You just need to verify you have a genuine interest in participating here. All opinions, questions and viewpoints are welcome.

Thanks for understanding,

The second moderator will be a Spam Moderator to eliminate anyone and any spam that gets through the Verification Moderator. These 2 positions should help quite a bit in reducing and possibly eliminating the Spam.

Those are just my suggestions.

many things are in the works.

Any idea when we will see the results of "the many things" that are in the works?

Maybe you should volunteer your time or have you already?

I have many times, but I guess since I'm not a dealer I can't moderate as I never get a response

Hell, I'll pay for the server space, migrate the system to new forum software, make mods for each topic section, and what ever else needs to be done. None of this should be super time consuming or complicated.

CytexOne, I'd propose you have neither the time or desire to properly run this forum. What would it take to buy it out and turn it into a true "users forum"?

Hell, I'll pay for the server space, migrate the system to new forum software, make mods for each topic section, and what ever else needs to be done. None of this should be super time consuming or complicated.

CytexOne, I'd propose you have neither the time or desire to properly run this forum. What would it take to buy it out and turn it into a true "users forum"?

It has been pointed out that this forum has only been down ONCE ever due to hurricane Sandy's flooding of generators at the datacenter this is housed at. That's pretty good for free service. Is there something else that's needed other than 1 or 2 people with "no life" that just want to sit on here deleting spam and possibly approving new users to avoid spam? I shouldn't be surprised how many are belly aching about spam but I am. Apparently some people don't have the ability to skip over those posts, personally the spam posts consume the same amount of time as some crying child in a supermarket or other public area. I find it easy to ignore the "noise" in public places and almost as easy to ignore the spam here and it seems to get deleted fast enough.

Hell' date=' I'll pay for the server space, migrate the system to new forum software, make mods for each topic section, and what ever else needs to be done. None of this should be super time consuming or complicated.

CytexOne, I'd propose you have neither the time or desire to properly run this forum. What would it take to buy it out and turn it into a true "users forum"?[/quote']

It has been pointed out that this forum has only been down ONCE ever due to hurricane Sandy's flooding of generators at the datacenter this is housed at. That's pretty good for free service. Is there something else that's needed other than 1 or 2 people with "no life" that just want to sit on here deleting spam and possibly approving new users to avoid spam? I shouldn't be surprised how many are belly aching about spam but I am. Apparently some people don't have the ability to skip over those posts, personally the spam posts consume the same amount of time as some crying child in a supermarket or other public area. I find it easy to ignore the "noise" in public places and almost as easy to ignore the spam here and it seems to get deleted fast enough.

You can be complacent in life and just ignore everything, but I like to buy and fix things if they are broke or just not working well.

Archived