C4 Forums | Control4

Rhapsody erratic and slow

Regarding this - here is what I see -

1. load and run rhapsody for a play list on the wall touch screen

2. load on iPHONE (Control 4) - Rhapsody stops

1. Load and run Rhapsody on ANY device

2. load control 4 on any OTHER device - Rhapsody will PROBABLY stop and require re-login

1. Load and run Rhapsody on the touch screen

2. Make a CHANGE to the system on the touch screen - for example add or remove a zone and Rhapsody requires a re-login.

If I load Rhapsody and make NO CHANGES and do NOT load Control 4 on any other device - then Rhapsody will play for me most of the day without a problem.

Bill

Bill,

My dealer is suggesting deleting the project and trying a new project from scratch. (just 1 room to start, as to trouble shoot it)

Have you tried this?

I have a HUGE (read VERY large application). If this was suggested to me I would laugh. If they indicated that they were serious I would possibly tell them what I thought of the idea.

A DEALER is welcome to do this - but for me to "re-key" my entire application would take a VERY long time and is not happening.

There are logs that are kept - what I REALLY need to do is work directly with Control 4's technical support. My dealer would support that - he simply does not have time to trouble shoot this with me. BUT - tech support will not take a customer's phone call - I am a beta tester for MANY products and write software for a living (medical) so I am not a novice - I would REALLY love it if someone from Control 4 would call me and work with me on this - we could actually solve a problem that a number of people are having - Control 4?

Send me an email and either allow me to call you or I will give you my phone number and you can call me.

Bill

^You are over-estimating the work required to troubleshoot. First off, I have never had nor read about your problem prior to this. If you are a software techie, you can see that deleting your project down to say one room and evaluating then reload and delete down to two rooms, etc. is not going to take but 1 hour or so.

You have a huge project, I have a huge project- just try it. Personally, I don't think that will help you out but what the hell.

^You are over-estimating the work required to troubleshoot. First off, I have never had nor read about your problem prior to this. If you are a software techie, you can see that deleting your project down to say one room and evaluating then reload and delete down to two rooms, etc. is not going to take but 1 hour or so.

You have a huge project, I have a huge project- just try it. Personally, I don't think that will help you out but what the hell.

Grin - Being a software techie, I can see that putting back in all my stuff would be daunting and I will not do it. Period.

I concur that someone would have to give me more than "try it and see" before I would attempt this.

I would not do this until I could get someone from tech to log on to my system while I reproduce the problem and have them look at the logs. This happens RELIABLY if you use any remotes - meaning if you have an ipad or iphone or keypad and while your music is playing you simply touch the keypad so that Control 4 "reloads" what it is doing.

For example - music is playing and I bring back up the control 4 app which was minimized on my phone - while it is "authorizing" and loading it stops the music and I have to enter my name and password again in Rhapsody.

This is going to be captured in some logs somewhere - I just don't have access to it.

Bill

Bill,

Im going to try it this weekend. I too have a large project and what I will do is just back it up.....delete the project....and try 1 room. (i always have my backup to use again)

2nd I will be trying a new HC800 this weekend (courtesy of my dealer)

I'll keep you posted.

^You are over-estimating the work required to troubleshoot. First off' date=' I have never had nor read about your problem prior to this. If you are a software techie, you can see that deleting your project down to say one room and evaluating then reload and delete down to two rooms, etc. is not going to take but 1 hour or so.

You have a huge project, I have a huge project- just try it. Personally, I don't think that will help you out but what the hell.[/quote']

Grin - Being a software techie, I can see that putting back in all my stuff would be daunting and I will not do it. Period.

I concur that someone would have to give me more than "try it and see" before I would attempt this.

I would not do this until I could get someone from tech to log on to my system while I reproduce the problem and have them look at the logs. This happens RELIABLY if you use any remotes - meaning if you have an ipad or iphone or keypad and while your music is playing you simply touch the keypad so that Control 4 "reloads" what it is doing.

For example - music is playing and I bring back up the control 4 app which was minimized on my phone - while it is "authorizing" and loading it stops the music and I have to enter my name and password again in Rhapsody.

This is going to be captured in some logs somewhere - I just don't have access to it.

Bill

I don't get it- why hand-enter anything?? If you don't have CPro then you can't do this but since you have the system to end all systems and are a "pro" softie, why the mind-block here?

^You are over-estimating the work required to troubleshoot. First off' date=' I have never had nor read about your problem prior to this. If you are a software techie, you can see that deleting your project down to say one room and evaluating then reload and delete down to two rooms, etc. is not going to take but 1 hour or so.

You have a huge project, I have a huge project- just try it. Personally, I don't think that will help you out but what the hell.[/quote']

Bill

I don't get it- why hand-enter anything?? If you don't have CPro then you can't do this but since you have the system to end all systems and are a "pro" softie, why the mind-block here?

You obviously know something that I don't - tell me -

1. I think that I would have to go into every nook and cranny and specifically delete everything in my program (after backing it up of course).

2. then i would have to simply program one room -

3. it took weeks and weeks and then additional weeks to fine tune how everything in my system works - the media room was very tricky.

4. the idea that this would be a valid test simply is not rational - even if it now works - it COULD BE that the size of my program exceeds the capability to keep up with rhapsody. There is no way for me to have any additional knowledge other than - "it works if I only have one room". What other benefit would be accrued from me dong all that work - and then (I have never done a restore before) I would have to do a restore.).

I can tell you this - all of us n the software inductry do software backups, you hope that you never have to test them - and when you do you hope that they work. I am NOT taking a system that is currently working well (except for this problem) and trashing it and trusting that the backup works and hooks all the hooks back in flawlessly without having to re-identify everything. My dealer would simply croak. He also does not have the time it would take to mess with this. This is why I am offering to work with a Control 4 person if they are willing (or ANYONE that knows how to look at logs.

Anyone?

Bill

Go about it the other way:

Back up the project.

Delete rooms one at a time until you find out which one, if any, rooms are causing it - after deleting a room, be sure to refresh navigators and test.

If it is a room, reload the project and then drill down to see if you can find which device it is. At the worst, it may just be some corrupt code around that room and re-creating it works.

Or you could have tech support log in and take a look at it with your dealer, but this is a process that they've had me do before as part of troubleshooting to find the root cause of something. YMMV.

Go about it the other way:

Back up the project.

Delete rooms one at a time until you find out which one, if any, rooms are causing it - after deleting a room, be sure to refresh navigators and test.

If it is a room, reload the project and then drill down to see if you can find which device it is. At the worst, it may just be some corrupt code around that room and re-creating it works.

Or you could have tech support log in and take a look at it with your dealer, but this is a process that they've had me do before as part of troubleshooting to find the root cause of something. YMMV.

What would make anyone think that this has to do with a "room"? It has to do with logging in to Control 4.

I can play a large playlist all day long and not have ANY PROBLEMS.

HOWEVER - All I have to do is go to the iPAD (if I started the playlist on the touch screen) and when control 4 start up the play list stops - go to the play list on the iPAD and you have to relogin to rhapsody to make it start again.

Go to the touch sreen and it says that it hit a Rhapsody error and you have to re-login is on the touch screen. Start it on the iPAD and then navigate to the play list on the touch screen and it will hit the error and stop.

It has nothing to do with anything OTHER THAN you CANNOT load Control 4 on any device while you are playing on another device.

If you do you will likely hit the error and will have to re-enter your name and password.

This has nothing what so ever to do with a room or the configuration of a room - it has to do with logging into Control 4 from different devices. No room is involved -

Bill

Cody, testing your way is OK but deleting down to one room right off the bat tells you it's the specific project causing the problem. Why go from from Z-A only to find you are down to one room and it still screws-up?

Bill, I personally don't think it involves your specific project. I'm not fully following under what circumstances you can stream "all day long". If you have a REAL account you can hit it either via PC or C4 but not both. It won't log you out however, you just get a warning from Rhapsody. Lets assume you have the $10 account. Are you saying that you can initiate from a TS then pull-up on an iPhone and it crashes?

Get Putty and ssh to your main controller, go through all the log files, otherway arround you can view the log files in windows by going through \\yourcontrollerip\..., but windows route is limited, I prefer SSH.

Anyway, you still need to have access to Composer Pro to fix it after you address the problem in the log file.

Cody, testing your way is OK but deleting down to one room right off the bat tells you it's the specific project causing the problem. Why go from from Z-A only to find you are down to one room and it still screws-up?

Bill, I personally don't think it involves your specific project. I'm not fully following under what circumstances you can stream "all day long". If you have a REAL account you can hit it either via PC or C4 but not both. It won't log you out however, you just get a warning from Rhapsody. Lets assume you have the $10 account. Are you saying that you can initiate from a TS then pull-up on an iPhone and it crashes?

I only use play lists. I CAN use RHAPSODY - but I use play lists.

If I go to the touch screen and load a play list and start it playing it MIGHT hit the error right off and I will have to log in - if I log in or it plays it will continue with that play list forever.

It will USUALLY NOT mess up if I go back to the same touch screen and load a different list or do something else. BUT - if I now go to my iPHONE and load Control 4 when it logs in it will PROBABLY stop playing and require that I re-login to Rhapsody to continue playing on the touch screen.

Bll

What version are you guys running on?

2.2.4 is my version - the very latest stuff.

OK - I would LOVE to look at the logs - I am not familiar with PUTTY.

If someone is willing to give me some directions I will GLADLY work on this - ...

I can do a go to meeting with anyone interested and we can look at it together?

Let me know.

Thanks

Bill

^ NO, you don't look at the logs, you will write SHELL script in C language from one of the linux machine remotely and search keywords like "errors", "Rhapsody" through out all the logs in the C4 main controller machine.

That's how i find errors and bugs in C4.

you said you are software techie.. how good are you in linux? can you write shell scripts that search all the keyword you want and output into another files?

^ NO, you don't look at the logs, you will write SHELL script in C language from one of the linux machine remotely and search keywords like "errors", "Rhapsody" through out all the logs in the C4 main controller machine.

That's how i find errors and bugs in C4.

you said you are software techie.. how good are you in linux? can you write shell scripts that search all the keyword you want and output into another files?

I do not do anything in linux, I don't write shell scripts. With help I could do this - but without it I cannot.

Bill

You write software for a living and you can't figure this out? Google it and in about 2 seconds you'll have thousands of examples on how to do this.

Alternatively and much easier most good text editors have this functionality built in, another resource you should have access to being a programmer.

Archived