C4 Forums | Control4

About to get the Hydraconnect

me23

I have never seen a post here from any non-dealer who has used the matrix or any of there other products for that matter. Check with your dealer of any experiences with the matrix or even the hdbaset extender that they were touting.

Joe Whittaker from the SohoShop seemed to like it, but they are a dealer that sells them as well. Although I would trust Joe's recommendation.

Not sure where your "4X" comment comes from. The HSS-2 includes an 8X8 HDMI matrix, 8X16 audio matrix, and replaces the IR gear and wiring, for an MSRP that is comperable or less than buying those 3 pieces stand alone, all in one 3u package. Add in the automatic configuration (no EDID mess, no HDCP or key limitations), web interface that is locally and remotely accessible, OSD for the customer, real 3D support (not just 3D passthrough), full C4 integration with composer and full stepless 2-way volume control, and you have a package that saves a dealer money on installation and programming and support. And gives the customer a better experience. No unique drivers needed for each device in the system - just the generic TV, AVR, and Blu-ray drivers we supply. The list is quite long. And for a price that is competitive, not 4X.

Not sure where your "4X" comment comes from. The HSS-2 includes an 8X8 HDMI matrix, 8X16 audio matrix, and replaces the IR gear and wiring, for an MSRP that is comperable or less than buying those 3 pieces stand alone, all in one 3u package. Add in the automatic configuration (no EDID mess, no HDCP or key limitations), web interface that is locally and remotely accessible, OSD for the customer, real 3D support (not just 3D passthrough), full C4 integration with composer and full stepless 2-way volume control, and you have a package that saves a dealer money on installation and programming and support. And gives the customer a better experience. No unique drivers needed for each device in the system - just the generic TV, AVR, and Blu-ray drivers we supply. The list is quite long. And for a price that is competitive, not 4X.

Please note I said base matrix. My question was whether he would use any of those features. Some of us don't care for all of those features and would be happy with a simple 8x8 HDMI matrix for $1000-$1500 (shinybow, gefen toolbox).

Wow, after 1 response from Ryan, I thought this thread was dead.

Well I definitely want something reliable and HDbaseT. I want almost instant switching and I guess its good that its control4 certified as far as support is concerned. I already have a nuvo audio system, so no real need for the audio matrix of the hydraconnect. It jsut seemed like the Hydraconnect had a lot of features for the same amount of money that a lot of the other matrixes have that are talked about on here.

I dunno, I guess I just kept hearing hear on the forums about JAP, Atlona, Hydraconnect, SnapAV and was thinking these were the best contenders for the matrix I needed. Thats why I wanted some opinions before I dropped that kind of cash. I'm all ears if there is something comparable for much less!

Is the shinybow a good product?

^I think you should research all the features you think it has and see if it justifies paying $6k as opposed to some of the lower priced options.

All of my displays are 1080p so EDID wasn't an issue for me. In terms of sound and EDID, I wasn't going to run av cables to all of my display so the hydraconnect solution wasn't helpful there either. Some of the other features are CEC and the audio matrix, again both of which I either didn't care for or think it was worth the money.

Bottom line, you should review all the features it touts versus what you are looking to do and see if it's cost and functionally beneficial to you.

If all you are looking for is a 8x8 matrix with somewhat fast switching and aren't interested in CEC, audio matrix, or whatever other features they tout than as 1949live stated maybe hydraconnect isn't for you.

Wow. All this functionality looks unreal..

Can you get these sort of specs in a 4x4 video only switch for a domestic instal?

• 4 months later...

me23 - It's been a while, did you end up getting the HSS-3? I am looking at the HSS-2 as my cat5e runs are not longer than 50 feet from the HSS to any of the video components in my house.

If you did, how has your experience been? Would you recomment? Any advice on where to get good pricing for them?

Archived