C4 Forums | Control4

does c4 interrupt or cause interference with my networking or wifi?

dugery

This is a question to hopefully put to rest a conversation my wife and I have been having with c4. besides the bugs in the system, the rebooting of the media player, the smart home has not been sold in my wifes eyes. in other words she hates it.

We seem to have a home computer that she uses that runs slow, opens programs slow and at times does not get on the internet. it is a brand new dell touchscreen so it shouldnt be slow. She is convinced that it is c4 causing the issues.

So my question to the forum is can C4 cause issues with the networking in the house. also can i run c4 on its own network without connecting to the internet. Can it be self contained on its own.

I have told her that i dont think these issues are caused by c4 but I could be wrong. for months i also told her that the slow internet was not caused by my networking then I replaced the router and now the internet is 20 meg downloads. So i was wrong on that.

thanks for any input or advice.

Personally i would have your dealer come and take a look at the network. But no c4 should not slow down your network. Something to try would be to disconnect all the network in your house and just have her computer connected and see if it is still slow then. Then you can determine if there is something else on your network that is slowing things down.

Ryan

Get a copy of LanSpeed Test and Innsider on your wife's computer. You'll be able to then see signal strength this device is seeing on your wireless network as well as how it compares to competing signals which will allow you to make potential changes like relocating your wireless router to a better location, changing channels etc. LanSpeed Test will give you a good indication of how your network is performing speed wise.

Also, just because your device is new does not mean it will be fast or that in the time you've had it a virus, Trojan, or other issue has occurred. We have a new laptop here for our kid that is downright slow. It has 8 gigs or ram and its runs basically at 55% resource usage at idle. Its a Core I3 running 64 bit windows 7 pro but the on board graphics card is horrible and win 7 requires a lot of resources.

Thanks guys all great suggestions i will try this and see what is going on. I turned on the gadget and saw that with nothing happening it is at 53% cpu usage and 20% ram. I will do some selective startups configs and change this. thanks for the advice. I will also disconnect the network and try that before contacting my dealer

thanks again this was useful.

one more thing alittle off the subject of this. i have a slingbox and cannot control any of it any longer. I can see it but no volume and no control of anything. any suggestions.

Nothing on the sling box, other then standard shutdown and restart to see if that fixes it.

You just discovered why your wife's computer is slow, at 53% resource useage and 20% ram your dell touchscreen is going to be very slow on most things. You can, as you mentioned, optimize some startup stuff as well as shut off some non essential services, but its not going to make a drastic change unless something huge is running in the background. If the laptop is still new and relatively untouched also download PCdecrapifier, run it and uninstall all the crap dell typically installs. More ram, Solid State Drives, better graphics cards, these are what make computers faster.

thanks i have been uninstalling for about an hour. it is a desktop touchscreen and its hardwired to my network. The cpu usage is at 2% now when idle and 18% ram. much better. I still will download that program.

thanks

that pcdecrapifier works great i appreciate the advice.

Yup, makes the clean-up process much easier and quicker. Most people know about Ccleaner at this point but if you don't get it and run a cleanup and registry repair when your done uninstalling stuff, my shit down script runs this every time.

Finally this won't make your computer faster but my family was use to running windows 7 and the jump to 8 was a difficult change. I installed Start8 and it gave us back our start menu just like in win 7 which ultimately made the transition easier.

Best of luck to you and sounds like your on the right path.

My issue with interference is not the same but annoying.

When accessing the NAS either for files, backup or playing music some of the lights become uncontrollable and

of course get the popcorn going.My dealer said he has never heard of this happening,any ideas ?

HC800

Cisco WAP4410N Access Point

Cisco RVS4000 Router

D-Link ShareCenter DNS-325

Thanks

Are you using wifi to access the NAS? If so, sounds like you have overlapping zigbee and wifi channels. There are tools your dealer can do to test for this.

Easiest part is to change the zigbee channel to one that doesn't overlap with wifi spectrum and see if the problem goes away...

Are you using wifi to access the NAS? If so, sounds like you have overlapping zigbee and wifi channels. There are tools your dealer can do to test for this.

Easiest part is to change the zigbee channel to one that doesn't overlap with wifi spectrum and see if the problem goes away...

Even easier, change your wifi channel then no call to the dealer is needed.

• 3 months later...

Yes Zigbee and Wifi are known to cause interference. The main place you will notice this is if you are downloading "something" via the internet on a wireless laptop and you try to use a SR-250 remote. The remote will be almost non-responsive. C4 has a technical bulletin on this but the basic thing to do is seperate your zigbee and wifi spectrums. From me and other sites the best was Wifi on channel 1 and Zigbee on Channel 24. Alot of dealers are usign WiSpy devices onsite to analyze your spectrum and determine whats best for your house.

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily agree that ZigBee can interfere with WiFi, as WiFi is a pretty broad spread spectrum, and ZigBee is a very narrow spectrum, due to WiFi being a high-bandwidth design, ZigBee being a low-bandwidth design.

Also, the transmit power on ZigBee devices is quite a bit less than the transmit power of WiFi.

WiFi can definitely interfere with ZigBee, not so much the other way around.

RyanE

how would one set the channel on the zigbee network? Would it be on the zserver controller? Is this a dealer-only capability?

I remember that the channel can be set to "auto" or something to that effect. Since not all dealers are equally as knowledgeable, what or how do I get the controller/zigbee network channel configured to minimize the wifi/zigbee interference issue?

how would one set the channel on the zigbee network? Would it be on the zserver controller? Is this a dealer-only capability?

I remember that the channel can be set to "auto" or something to that effect. Since not all dealers are equally as knowledgeable, what or how do I get the controller/zigbee network channel configured to minimize the wifi/zigbee interference issue?

Channel is set in pro by your dealer. They can do it remotely in a couple minutes time. I've linked to it before here but there's a nice wifi-zigbee relationship chart on google that shows the channels and how they relate to each other. Using wi-spy from metageek (free) will show your all the 2.4 and 5ghz (if your laptop supports it) signals. Often times it may not be your wifi that interferes, but your neighbors.

Using wi-spy from metageek (free) will show your all the 2.4 and 5ghz (if your laptop supports it) signals. Often times it may not be your wifi that interferes, but your neighbors.

Whoaa WiSpy most definitely is not free. inSSIDer program (also from metageek) is however, and while not nearly as powerful as even the simples WiSpy, a usefull program in a pinch.

Using wi-spy from metageek (free) will show your all the 2.4 and 5ghz (if your laptop supports it) signals. Often times it may not be your wifi that interferes' date=' but your neighbors.[/quote']

Whoaa WiSpy most definitely is not free. inSSIDer program (also from metageek) is however, and while not nearly as powerful as even the simples WiSpy, a usefull program in a pinch.

Sorry, thank you. Meant inssider.

Archived