C4 Forums | Control4

CES 2008 Speculation Thread

tumult

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) $1495 is the RETAIL price - not dealer price - and yes - that was suppose to be announced (it is the exact same price as the MC as it is a direct replacement for it!!!)

2) Rhapsody will be available in the Q1 maintenance release (Q1 - so don't ask what day / month - when it's done it's done). :)

3) Code upgrade? Meaning upgrade from 1.3.2 to another version? Yes. It will, however, not require any new hardware. You will, however, need a Rhapsody account already (so go signup for one today). :)

Is it me or did the announcements at CES seem pretty lame. A repeat announcement of Rhapsody, new partnerships (lame) and the HC-500 which isn't anything special (it's a replacement). Where are all the new cool toys? Zigbee laser beams or flux capacitors????

I agree, the ces c4 annoucements were on the paltry side, especially since I had expected them to introduce the 7'' touchscreen at the least. I'm guessing it was probably displayed behind closed doors. I suppose we'll just be pleasantly surprised when new items get introduced during 2008. Maybe there were some good items shown at the partner pavillion which we still haven't heard about.

tum

I believe that is still true - it's to eliminate piracy... so yes, if you want to get to the new version and you still want Composer - you'll need to purchase Composer HE w/1 year subscription for $199.

So if I have Composer Pro now I won't be able to get updates unless I buy Composer HE and pay $199 each year. If I do that will I be able to update Composer Pro? I have no huge problems paying but I don't want to lose Composer Pro.

I agree. Composer Pro should be offered !!!!!

Seems to me that a lot of customers want it.

Think about this:

If I want to add a simple light switch it takes weeks.

My dealer will not install a C4 light switch. Either I have to do it (I have installed 8 already ) or an electrician. Then I call my dealer and schedule a time to make the changes in composer. After a few days or weeks, they open composer, click and drag an icon from one side of the screen to the other and I have to pay them to do it. When I insall a switch, I want it to work with C4 that day. I spent a lot of money with my dealer to install TVs, C4, and many components. I need them to install these units and program C4. I do not need them to drag an icon and charge me for it. I am not trying to cut them out. Matter of fact, the more I use C4, the more items I purchase from them.

To All Composer Pro users:

1) Composer HE is 99.9% complete of Composer Pro... the only things missing are:

a) Identifying new hardware

B) Creating programming loops (which are dangerous in themselves).

2) Composer Pro, if you have it, is considered illegal / copyrighted... now I realize some dealers have given this out and thus why Control4 is not outraged with end users having it - but do realize Composer HE is the end user product and is commercially sold / available. Also note, that they are attempting to lock down the doors of Composer Pro so that it does not CONTINUE to stay in the public domain... again - consider this similar to pirating now... Back in the day HE did not exist and thus why dealers gave it out to some end users - that was been changed and HE is now the full version intended for end users.

As for installing - you can only purchase C4 hardware from dealers (if you want it covered under warranty) - thus I can't imagine a dealer that won't quickly identify it. I'm sorry you've had a bad run in with a dealer - but I highly suggest you find a better one - one that doesn't mind spending 10 minutes to log in remotely and help you quickly identify your new dimmers / switches. I know I do with our customers!!!

Rhapsody integration will be available with the 1.6 release which *should* happen before summer.

It is a software upgrade (should work on existing Control4 hardware).

I didn't work on it, so I don't know more than that, other than it obviously requires a Rhapsody subscription, which are only currently available to residents of the US.

RyanE

To All Composer Pro users:

1) Composer HE is 99.9% complete of Composer Pro... the only things missing are:

a) Identifying new hardware

B) Creating programming loops (which are dangerous in themselves).

2) Composer Pro, if you have it, is considered illegal / copyrighted... now I realize some dealers have given this out and thus why Control4 is not outraged with end users having it - but do realize Composer HE is the end user product and is commercially sold / available. Also note, that they are attempting to lock down the doors of Composer Pro so that it does not CONTINUE to stay in the public domain... again - consider this similar to pirating now... Back in the day HE did not exist and thus why dealers gave it out to some end users - that was been changed and HE is now the full version intended for end users.

As for installing - you can only purchase C4 hardware from dealers (if you want it covered under warranty) - thus I can't imagine a dealer that won't quickly identify it. I'm sorry you've had a bad run in with a dealer - but I highly suggest you find a better one - one that doesn't mind spending 10 minutes to log in remotely and help you quickly identify your new dimmers / switches. I know I do with our customers!!!

I'm not sure that's exactly accurate as I can buy Control4 gear from 6th Avenue electronics. So, when I do that I'm not hurting dealers right? I'm paying full retail. Is the warranty only valid when installed by a certified Control4 dealer? If thats the case then having it installed by my electrician would void the warranty and I don't see how the act of identifying a device should have anything to do with the warranty of the product.

What are the conditions of Control4 product warranty's anyway?

Control4 products are only sold through authorized Control4 dealers... if your electrician is authorized then you should have no problems. However, if you purchase it off of eBay - don't expect it to be covered, is what I'm saying.

Don't take shock to this - as many larger companies have similar policies... Sony and Pioneer are two examples... purchase them through NON authorized mediums and you'll be SOL if it breaks... that's the cons of purchasing stuff outside of the "authorized" channels - obviously the PROs are it's cheaper... so you've got to weigh in on what's more important - the service or the price.

so what about us guys who were former programmers/installers that have tons of c4 gear (most on accommodation)? I'm no longer with the company that was a dealer and still tinker weekly with my control4 gear. Locking it down like that doesn't seem right... I agree on a registration, but if you are tech1 or 2 certified they should allow you to use it for your own gear.

Control4 products are only sold through authorized Control4 dealers... if your electrician is authorized then you should have no problems. However, if you purchase it off of eBay - don't expect it to be covered, is what I'm saying.

Don't take shock to this - as many larger companies have similar policies... Sony and Pioneer are two examples... purchase them through NON authorized mediums and you'll be SOL if it breaks... that's the cons of purchasing stuff outside of the "authorized" channels - obviously the PROs are it's cheaper... so you've got to weigh in on what's more important - the service or the price.

I think you may have missed my point.

If I buy the gear through you (and I have absolutely no problem doing so and paying full retail for it) why shouldn't I be allowed to wire it in and identify it myself? If I buy it through a Control4 dealer am I REQUIRED to have a Control4 dealer install it AND identify it? If that is the case why is it allowed that I can walk into any 6th Ave Electronics and buy the gear myself?

Rhapsody integration will be available with the 1.6 release which *should* happen before summer.

It is a software upgrade (should work on existing Control4 hardware).

I didn't work on it, so I don't know more than that, other than it obviously requires a Rhapsody subscription, which are only currently available to residents of the US.

RyanE

Will C4 be upgraded to play .RAX or .WMA files (the only two types of files Rhapsody allows you to download)?

so what about us guys who were former programmers/installers that have tons of c4 gear (most on accommodation)? I'm no longer with the company that was a dealer and still tinker weekly with my control4 gear. Locking it down like that doesn't seem right... I agree on a registration, but if you are tech1 or 2 certified they should allow you to use it for your own gear.

Your certification stays with the company - not you... sorry. AND - you are the exception to the rule... you've got product and know how to use it - great... but Control4 is not going to support you - they're supporting the dealer only and you too, now, will have to get Composer HE to continue to use it. Sorry. :(

REQUIRED to have a Control4 dealer install it AND identify it? If that is the case why is it allowed that I can walk into any 6th Ave Electronics and buy the gear myself?

Install it - no - identify it yes. But again, as most of my "advanced" customer will tell you - "our" business practice is that we have no problem at all identifying hardware remotely at the cost to purchase it. Meaning if you spend $99 to purchase a light switch from us and plug it in set it up etc... call us on the phone and we'll log in remotely identify it for nothing extra (it takes us all of 5 min to do).

As for 6th Ave. Elec - I have no idea who they are or what they are and can't comment - sorry. But again - if they're selling hardware off the shelf and giving out Composer PRO - that is 100% illegal and considered pirating today... no gray here anymore... Control4 has made it very clear since releasing Composer HE - that this is wrong. Now if they don't give it out - but sell you the hardware and don't install it - that's their business practice, and I highly suggest you find a different dealer to do business with.

Will C4 be upgraded to play .RAX or .WMA files (the only two types of files Rhapsody allows you to download)?

Streaming music does not require .WMA at all - but I'm unsure as to the exact protocol required... I'm guessing it's not .RAX either - it's probably something proprietary for streaming music only. That is all that will be supported, I believe, is streaming of music... NOT purchasing of music from Rhapsody... now that's not to say things won't change down the road, and I'm sure they will - C4 has said they will come out with other formats... just when is the question... and we'll have to wait some more (sigh)... :)

REQUIRED to have a Control4 dealer install it AND identify it? If that is the case why is it allowed that I can walk into any 6th Ave Electronics and buy the gear myself?

Install it - no - identify it yes. But again' date=' as most of my "advanced" customer will tell you - "our" business practice is that we have no problem at all identifying hardware remotely at the cost to purchase it. Meaning if you spend $99 to purchase a light switch from us and plug it in set it up etc... call us on the phone and we'll log in remotely identify it for nothing extra (it takes us all of 5 min to do).

As for 6th Ave. Elec - I have no idea who they are or what they are and can't comment - sorry. But again - if they're selling hardware off the shelf and giving out Composer PRO - that is 100% illegal and considered pirating today... no gray here anymore... Control4 has made it very clear since releasing Composer HE - that this is wrong. Now if they don't give it out - but sell you the hardware and don't install it - that's their business practice, and I highly suggest you find a different dealer to do business with.[/quote']

Slemay:

If I buy it from a dealer, install it myself and the dealer is responsive and cooperative and does not charge me to ID it I can live with that. It's a pain in the butt though. I am guessing that my Composer Pro is on the verge of being useless so I guess I better hurry up and finish installing!

Sounds to me like the whole purpose of this is to make certain dealers maintain control over distribution of C4 gear. Thats fine. I just wish C4 could find some other means to exact control over their distribution instead of hamstringing their customers.

Archived