C4 Forums | Control4

Unregistering a Controller

I just got a new HC 300 that has three iphone and 5 android licenses in the current project. I'm not sure if this is a site license or device license. Is there a way to move the licenses into my project if I load a backup of my current project into the new controller? How can I determine if there is a site license?

Licenses are not tied to the controller, they are tied to the my.control4.com account. It does not matter what is on there. they are dead to you unless he sold you his account information

Brent

How about 4sight subscriptions. I activated 2 years worth of 4sight on my old HC1000 director. I'm thinking of getting an HC800 for the MySite licence. Do I keep my 4Sight licences when I change directors?

Again, an account has the license info - whatever controller is tied (registered) to that account has access to those licenses.

So yes if whomever gave/sold you the controller also "gave" you his my.control4 account - a new project could be put on that controller, registered to the account and have the licenses.

Perhaps there is some confusion due to the now included licenses - all this does is that when one of these controllers is assigned to an account, an automatic MAC check is done to see if the licenses are included and "adds" the licenses to the account.

De-registering that controller, or registering that controller elsewhere, will automatically remove the licenses from the (first) account.

Bt all this is ONLY for controller bought (from control4!!!!) after or on ....May 1st 2013 I think it was.

So if I have the account information can I migrate my current porject to the new controller and use those licenses?

Seems like there are a lot of questions around licenses, so I'll help answer them here.

All the licenses that are stored on your my.control4.com account can be checked by going to: my.control4.com > log-in > go to account administration > and click on subscriptions, which are only tied to your account and the controller to which it is registered.

Once the controller is linked to that account the licenses are then linked onto that controller. If you migrate your controller to a new controller and register with that existing my.control4.com account, all licenses are transferred over that you have on that account.

Example: When logging into my.control4.com running on a HC-300 under subscriptions, I show I have a 4sight license and a myhome site license. I now want to upgrade to a powerful HC-800 controller. Once I link that already existing account to that HC-800, the 4sight license and site license follows onto that new powerful controller.

I hope this helps explain the confusion.

Best Regards,

Matt

Example: When logging into my.control4.com running on a HC-300 under subscriptions, I show I have a 4sight license and a myhome site license. I now want to upgrade to a powerful HC-800 controller. Once I link that already existing account to that HC-800, the 4sight license and site license follows onto that new powerful controller.

Matt

Thanks Matt for the clarification. I wonder though how about the controllers that come with the MyHome site licence.

I'm thinking that obviously if I sell the equipment the MyHome site licence will go with the controller?

Thanks Matt for the clarification. I wonder though how about the controllers that come with the MyHome site licence.

I'm thinking that obviously if I sell the equipment the MyHome site licence will go with the controller?

I believe so. I think that it 'checks in' from time to time, and if that controller is no longer in the project attached to the my.control4.com account, it would remove the license, and if the controller is attached to another my.control4.com account, it would add the license.

I don't know that from experience, so YMMV, but I believe that's the intent.

RyanE

It would be the intent - reality is likely that both systems have the license, but one is "dead" as it has no controller attached - the moment a new controller is registered to the old account - it would do the check and remove it.

Largely assumption but the status I see when looking at client system states if it is a pre or pro deadline controller - not if it has the licenses or not.

But yes - assume that if you are to sell one of the "new" controllers that you lose the license with it.

Example: When logging into my.control4.com running on a HC-300 under subscriptions' date=' I show I have a 4sight license and a myhome site license. I now want to upgrade to a powerful HC-800 controller. Once I link that already existing account to that HC-800, the 4sight license and site license follows onto that new powerful controller.

Matt[/quote']

The new controllers that come with licenses are tied directly into the controller's mac address and then relayed onto the webservices. They are not tied into the my.control4.com account.

For example; I upgrade to a powerful HC-800 controller and now I want to supposedly downgrade to an HC-300. On my HC-800 I had the included controller licenses when purchasing the controller. Once I downgraded to the HC-300 the licenses will not follow.

I am getting good with my examples.

Let me know if this helps.

Matt

• 6 months later...

does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a MyHome site license for a customer who has a pre-April 2013 HC-800, which didn't come with the site license(s)?  Or to transfer a MyHome site license from another HC-250 controller that came with one, to the HC-800 that didn't come with one?

• 9 months later...

So I have a HC-500 (controller) and HC-300 on my system currently. I have an additional HC-300 with a iPhone license on a separate my.control4.com account. Is it possible to transfer the license from the latter to my HC-500 simply by registering the HC-300 on my first account or must I use the de-register and re-register method described in the forums? Or is this not possible at all? 

All my controllers were purchased in 2009. This extra one is probably from the same period.

Thanks,

AJ

So you have two accounts A and B.

A has the HC500 and no license, B has the 300 and a license.

To get the HC500 to have a license you would HAVE to:

register the HC500 and it's system to account B.

This will mean the HC300 gets deregistered - if you want to continue to use it (without a license!) as a separate system you'd have to register that back to account A.

Archived