C4 Forums | Control4

Staples introduces HA system?!

urbanmark

I had my C4 system installed in 2009 and am amazed at how quickly the HA industry is now "mainstreaming". This new system from Staples(!) launches in November and works with Lutron lighting/shades, Honeywell thermostats, Yale locks, Philips Hue, DoorBot camera doorbell, security cameras and even voice control. (AV products have been demoed but are not included in the initial launch). Devices can auto-connect or be added via UPC code. Installation is DIY or via a Staples installer.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/staples_connect_aims_to_make_home_automation_easy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my system but wish I had more control over it. They should let people own the pro software. It is crazy that I have to call my installer for every minor thing that needs to be added or tweeked. Unless they let people do some stuff themselves, the other companies are going to take over.

^What is it you need that HE cannot do? I don't call a "minor thing" adding components... Doubtful firms at the ADT or Staples level are going to put much of a dent in Control4. Think about the techies here for starters. Would any of us put up with that crappy low-level GUI shown in the demo? Toylike for sure.

Look at siri control of C4. I cannot imagine having to call and pay a dealer every time I wanted a new command added. Since no two systems are the same you cannot have a cookie cuter driver to install. It has to be custom made for each system and the customers wants or needs. This is time consuming. Man I could never afford to have that level of integration. But if I had composer pro, could install the driver myself, buy the product myself, and program it. I would do it in a heart beat.

^Why? "far too stupid" is a radical interpretation. I come into contact with layers, doctors, PhDs that don't have the concept down of how to even start to acquire the knowledge to purchase automation. Not their fault- no time to sit and tinker with the thought. They have their assistants place a call and a dealer comes out and does everything. That's my world around here. Those people have huge pockets and those are the folks to go after.

Please don't place Control4 in the same bucket as Staples...

^What is it you need that HE cannot do? I don't call a "minor thing" adding components... Doubtful firms at the ADT or Staples level are going to put much of a dent in Control4. Think about the techies here for starters. Would any of us put up with that crappy low-level GUI shown in the demo? Toylike for sure.

Adding components can be easy, however i agree that most thing require a dealer, however why can I not change the name of a room or light- that should be in HE.

I do like a dealer working on my project, but I would also like to fiddle.

Concerning your lawyers and doctor comment - we all need something to help us relax apart from Red Wine, watches and cars !!!

Everyone needs to move with the times - as things move very fast these days !!

^I'll tell you why you cannot change a name! If you do that, you must change all references that were associated with the old name. Remember, when you build for the masses, engineers must work to avoid complication introduced by the end-user. One way to shortcut that is exactly what Control4 did which is to bring-in only select (read trained) individuals to help with that process.

I understand things are different in the world today. I helped to make them that way then said the hell with it and retired. I don't 100% agree that we as society should strive to make all of these conveniences. I work with other retirees now and I'll tell you that even a simple thing such as a drugstore unified remote is a pain in the ass to them. Yes, they are well behind the "times" but the sum total of wealth of just my bunch seems like the size of Toyota's bank account. If you can help them to understand, they show the money.

Controlfouruserguy - programming 101 is to have names, and ID's. You display names to the user, and then store the ID everywhere you need it. This way when you rename "Guest Bedroom" to "Kids Bedroom" or whatever, the room ID remains the same, and nothing would need to be changed.

Learned that in the mid 90's. It's not an advanced programming concept. In fact it's rare not to find it these days.

Overall love the system, but they clearly could have benefited from some software design earlier in their product development.

They're not Staples but they are acting just like Blackberry did about 3-4 years ago... Way too Slow to update their hardware, very little in the way of Real innovation, clunky locked down software, producing shit that no one really cares about (i.e Tablet, etc.) and a Crappy 3rd party ecosystem so very few people write Apps, etc.

I've watched my dealer change names of components and he doesn't have to change anything else, so I call bullshit. I'd agree though the way C-Pro currently works is generally beyond the skill level of most users. Not that they couldn't figure it out with a bit of time but it would create a nightmare for support. I hate to admit that.

They're not Staples but they are acting just like Blackberry did about 3-4 years ago... Way too Slow to update their hardware' date=' very little in the way of Real innovation, clunky locked down software, producing shit that no one really cares about (i.e Tablet, etc.) and a Crappy 3rd party ecosystem so very few people write Apps, etc.[/quote']

Can I just say.... "I agree with that!"

^I'll tell you why you cannot change a name! If you do that, you must change all references that were associated with the old name. Remember, when you build for the masses, engineers must work to avoid complication introduced by the end-user. One way to shortcut that is exactly what Control4 did which is to bring-in only select (read trained) individuals to help with that process.

I understand things are different in the world today. I helped to make them that way then said the hell with it and retired. I don't 100% agree that we as society should strive to make all of these conveniences. I work with other retirees now and I'll tell you that even a simple thing such as a drugstore unified remote is a pain in the ass to them. Yes, they are well behind the "times" but the sum total of wealth of just my bunch seems like the size of Toyota's bank account. If you can help them to understand, they show the money.

Hahaha. That;s it! I drive a Toyota but use a complicated HA system. Darn it... I new there was something wrong.. :)

Controlfouruserguy - programming 101 is to have names, and ID's. You display names to the user, and then store the ID everywhere you need it. This way when you rename "Guest Bedroom" to "Kids Bedroom" or whatever, the room ID remains the same, and nothing would need to be changed.

Learned that in the mid 90's. It's not an advanced programming concept. In fact it's rare not to find it these days.

Overall love the system, but they clearly could have benefited from some software design earlier in their product development.

Yes, I know. I carried punch cards through the campus when you were uhh... Why would I need to be concerned with this? Keeping track of your own programming doesn't really require mass doses of ginko biloba or 6-figure software packages.

Archived