C4 Forums | Control4

"Garage left open" notification

shareez

Hey guys,

Something odd is happening and I thought I'd ask for your opinion. I have one of those LiftMaster garage door openers where you can set it to automatically close after certain time. I've set it for 10 minutes. Now in C4 programming, I have said:

When the garage door opens - reset timer garagedoor. (This timer is set for 15 minutes)

When timer garagedoor expires, send email notification

When garage door closes - stop time or garage door

For some odd reason, I still get random emails even though the garage is closed. Now what I did was, in the email notification, I added the variables to show the status of the garage doors. Whether 1 = closed and 0 = open.

In the email I receive saying the garage has been left open for longer than 15 minutes, the status at the bottom still shows that the garage is closed. It shows a 1 next to it so I don't understand what is going on? Why would it be sending me an email if the timer was supposed to be stopped when the garage is closed?

Confused...

If you don't have "When timer garagedoor expires, send email notification" nested under a condition related to the garage door being open then you will continue to get notifications even when the door is closed.

what do you mean by the above? I figured that by stopping the timer when the garage closed, that should prevent it from executing the email notification IF the timer expired. 

(i wanted to upload screenshots but i can only find a button here to add a url of an image. where can I upload the picture to be able to show it here to you guys?)

Just a guess but since c4 is not controlling the closing of the garage to it will not check to see if it is opened or closed until it is ready to send the email. If you want it to automatically shut I would set it up in c4 and disable the timer on the garage door.

• 1 year later...

I spoke just a weeeee bit too soon.   I have two things set to happen when I open my garage door.  1st, a dealy of two minutes and then it closes automatically.  I then have a timer 'restart' for 10 minutes in case something is in the eye of the garage and the door stays open.  I have set up an email notification for my garage door if at the end of the timer, garage door status is open.  It's failing somewhere.....any help? https://flic.kr/p/q9iHm7 https://flic.kr/p/r6eqvj  

I tried to do what you said msgreenf.....

Sorry! Not getting the email.... In tests, the door attempts to close after 2 minutes and can't because the eye is blocked....no email after 10 minutes.....(or 25 minutes for that matter....)

I have emails set up for other things and that works....just not working with this module

Then the line is correct, but your sensor seems to not be reporting properly. Your programming as such seems fine.

Try putting the email back under IF, open the garage door and execute again (before it closes!). That should determine if the sensor is regsistering correctly.

Archived