C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee/system slowdown after new lighting installed

Just replaced 20 dimmers, 14 switches and 15 keypads with the new lighting and all of a sudden my Zigbee is very laggy and nonresponsive. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes there is a 5 to 10 second lag between button press and action. Seems about 50/50. I have not made any other major changes to the system, basically just duplicated all of the programming from the old stuff to the new. This is quite frustrating and makes the system a real pain to use.

Another pain is that c4 would not let me replace my old dimmers with the adaptive ones and migrate all of the programming over. I had to redo it all.

I have an hc800 so this should not be an issue. Zigbee strength shows good on all devices and I have never seen the processor top about 20 percent, so it doesn't seem to be a system resource issue.

I also noticed huge lag in Composer when doing anything - if I click on an item it can take 5 to 20 seconds to display the properties.

I have restored the processor, redone the zigbee network, everything.  Reinstalled coposer, tried a different computer, etc.

Anyone else see this kind of situation with the new lighting?  I'm tempted to put the old stuff back in.

It would let me change an old switch for a new switch but would not let me replace an old regular dimmer for a new adaptive phase dimmer. Oh well, it gave me the opportunity to streamline and fine tune some things.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

OK, so a few days later and still the same issues.  Great strength on all zigbee devices, still the random lag in button response and slowness in composer.  This has only appeared since the new lighting went in.  Flawless until I replaced the old stuff.  All new stuff - dimmers, switches and keypads - look to be on the same s/w version.  This lag is very irritating.  Any suggestions?

Fixed, I think. 2 things seem to have contributed to this dilemma. First, my wifi and Zigbee Re on 'auto' channel. They both ended up on Channel 1. Moved Zigbee to 25, helped a bit. Also had a driver I forgot about buried in my project called 'Always At Home' hat I've been trying out - it monitors lights and av usage and plays it back while you are away to replicate an occupied house. It was looking for the old lights I replaced and seemed to bog down the mesh. I deleted it and it seems like we are running normally.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Yes, WiFi and ZigBee off course can interfere. More importantly the 'always at home' driver is (or was, may have been fixed since) known to not follow all conventions causing the system to start a back-up not only too often, but starting then delaying the back-up because the driver calls for writing persistent data again and again (putting the started process on hold, which means a single 'save' can all of a sudden take several minutes in the worst cases).

The system will queue commands received in that period untill it is done saving, which creates a 'lag'. The driver looking for lights no longer then can certainly aggrevate that as well, perhaps even to a point where it was not noticeable untill the change.

Hope it is indeed fixed for you.

Archived