C4 Forums | Control4

Controller Loses Connectivity

C4NewGuy

Great question.  I am on my third switch.  The latest is a Small Business 24-port Managed Switch.  Previously, I had two 8-port Netgear, then a 24 port Cisco unmanaged switch.  I moved to the managed because I thought it was a possible negotiation/duplex issue and knew that I could configure the ports to what I might need.  However, the three boxes still lose their link.  All other devices, non Control4 related work fine.  No degradation seen whatsoever.  This all started a while back with shorter intermittent failures but now is happening daily and for hours at a time.  I don't see any anomalies on the switch ports, i.e. collisions, dropped packets, etc.

Not deliberately...I do have three network storage devices though.  1. IOMEGA Cloud, Buffalo Linkstation and a D-Link.  Unless there is something by default running on those as part of their connectivity requirements then nothing that I am aware?  Anything to check when I loose connectivity again that you can think of?  Any way to tell for sure?

• 4 weeks later...

You running BTSync on any networked PC's?

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Thanks so much for this!  My dealer said it was my "old" HC300 < 3 years old.  He installed a HC800 and the problem persisted.  He then told me it was my router and that I need to buy an apple router.  Thankfully, I was able to find this on my own.  I wish Control4 would push a service bulletin out to dealers/installers for this...

I wish Control4 would push a service bulletin out to dealers/installers for this...

I believe there was one -though not sure- but people have to read these things as well. Then there's C4 support that might have that info and could pass it on, but the dealer would have to call them. Oh and there's the dealer forum where I'm fairly certain this floated around too, but they'd have to sign up and visit those....

• 4 months later...

My controller all of a sudden to has been losing connectivity.  I am running a 800 for director, a 250 and a 200.  All of them at random times throughout the day lose connectivity.  I use bit torrent software on several computers around the house.  I am using a HP J9660A 48 port smart switch.  I have no idea how to stop this from happening.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out i do not have bitsync on any of my computers.  So that cannot be the issue.  I did add two wireless outlet dimmers to my project prior to me noticing the controller losing connectivity.  Could that have something to do with my issues?  That is the only thing that has changed in my project in quite some time.

Archived