C4 Forums | Control4

Speaker Cables

csmpez

Had a question for all the dealers, integrators and DIYers here on speaker cables/wiring.  Do you have a paticular brand, gauge, rating, etc., that you prefer to use when wiring up speakers for clients or for yourself?  It's interesting to see and hear from the various professionals on what you all prefer and have had good experiences with.  I've read a great deal on this forum related to Cat5e and the various versions of Cat6 (shielded and unshielded) cabling, but didn't really see much on speaker cables.

Much appreciated.  Thanks!

Scott

I use speaker cable from mono price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. UL rated. 100% copper not copper covered aluminum. Good price. You can get 14 or 16 gauge dependent on run and also 4 core for a single cable drop to a room for stereo ceiling speakers (or bi wire)

Unless you are wiring floor standers in a listening room it does what it says on the tin.

Amazon also sell it so compare prices there to save a couple of $

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

12 or 14 gauge, American made not cheap china crap. Doesn't have to be expensive just not from china. They have been caught so many times importing not to spec wire or putting UL stamps on stuff that hasn't been tested.

For in wall/ceiling I also like wire that has ascending and descending foot markers. Also not in a nest box, I want spooled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good information.  Thanks!  I'm definately looking for decent 16/2 or 14/2, in wall (CL2 or CL3) rating and of course, 100 percent copper (OFC).  I do have one run of two speakers to a volume controller that's about 50-60 feet, so I might just go with 14/2 for the speakers I'm looking to install on our deck (total of 4 speakers).  the other two speakers are only 8 feet and 25 feet, but figure I'll just use 14/2 for all.  I have a 4 wire already going back to the rack location for the deck.  I'm just leary buying from some online retailers and trying to make sure I don't end up with some cheap China stuff.

Scott

I would consider the Belden 5000UE, however, it's a 12 AWG cable.  I'm wiring up 4 speakers that will go back to one volume controller that's near the door to the deck.  I think four 12 AWG cables in one volume controller may be a bit crowded.

I'm looking at West Penn, Sheer Wire, SnapAV and a few others. 

Go to Bluejeans Cable and order the Belden 5000UE.  This is quality stuff and Blue Jeans have it a good price and they are a very reputable company, been around for some time and lots of traffic from AVSforum. 

My issue with cheap china cable has little to do with sound quality.  Also, strand count realistically has very little meaning outside of flexibility of the wire. I've never had an issue pulling a 12 gauge wire with less strands, and I've pulled my share.

I'm at a loss when you are referring to "GTG".  I know it means "Grey to Grey", however, what exactly are we talking about here?

I may just order the Monoprice stuff from China and be done.  I did also see this stuff:

http://www.parts-express.com/jsc-wire-14-awg-2c-audiophile-grade-speaker-cable-250-ft-cl3--100-763

Any one have experience with JSC wire?

Snap 105 strand is GTG.  Also it is only distributed music  so unless you have some super high end outdoor speakers anything half way decent will do fine.

I just got off the phone with JSC Wire... very nice to talk too and good customer service.  The guy I spoke with also made a joke about the "oxygen free" stamping on some wiring that other manufactures put on their wires.  In fact, the sample of the SnapAV 16/2 AWG I have in front of me has that stamped on their outer jacket. :)  He's checking with his quality control department on the specifics of their 14/2 AWG speaker wire and what's printed on the outer jacket.  However, he did indicate their 14 gauge wiring is pure copper, UL/CL3 rated for inwall installation and is manufactured here in the United States.

I tried West Penn, but all their wiring for 14/2 AWG is either coming up with a black or grey outer jacket and I need white.

Archived